Jump to content
Dennis Reynolds

650,000 fans of Game of Thrones fans sign petition to remake eighth season

Recommended Posts

Dylan D. started this petition to HBO

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have proven themselves to be woefully incompetent writers when they have no source material (i.e. the books) to fall back on. 

This series deserves a final season that makes sense. 

Subvert my expectations and make it happen, HBO!

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gimme a break fall8 I have a better chance of being struck by lightning after winning the lottery when the planets align than this happening.

 

Seriously though, I've seen every other season but the eighth and I'm surprised it's been this divisive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all: do they think that they just made the basis of it up out of thin air? They’re basing it off of material that Martin gave them, I can fucking assure you of that. And knowing Martin, and how he writes, versus how they write, I’d bet you anything that the show version is mild.

Second: that number is ground static, it’s best to ignore it.

Third: Daenerys was merciful — she should’ve been tougher, she should’ve killed them all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the writing has been horrendous this last season, but there's absolutely zero chance of HBO re-doing it. Let's just watch the final episode this week and then move on from this mess. Hopefully one day we'll get the books to see how the story was properly meant to end and that will be that.

33 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

They’re just mad because they’re not going to get some baffo-happy fuck ending, and they know it too.

No, people are mad cuz the writing has been legit shit. The supposed plot-points that they are working around that Martin has given them are fine, the execution is what's lacking. Daenerys' descent into madness is something that should have been gradually established not simply justified by inserting some throw-away lines here and there and expect us to believe that all of a sudden she wants to murder innocent civilians, when she has only ever shown ruthlessness towards her enemies before. Literally two episodes ago she was helping save humanity and now she's committing genocide. um2 Don't even get me started on Jaime saying "I never cared for the innocent". I guess he became the Kingslayer cuz he was bored.  aura1

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

They’re just mad because they’re not going to get some baffo-happy fuck ending, and they know it too.

6 minutes ago, Kirjava said:

No, people are mad cuz the writing has been legit shit. The supposed plot-points that they are working around that Martin has given them are fine, the execution is what's lacking. Daenerys' descent into madness is something that should have been gradually established not simply justified by inserting some throw-away lines here and there and expect us to believe that all of a sudden she wants to murder innocent civilians, when she has only ever shown ruthlessness towards her enemies before. Literally two episodes ago she was helping save humanity and now she's committing genocide. um2 Don't even get me started on Jaime saying "I never cared for the innocent". I guess he became the Kingslayer cuz he was bored.  aura1

FIGHT

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kirjava said:

I agree that the writing has been horrendous this last season, but there's absolutely zero chance of HBO re-doing it. Let's just watch the final episode this week and then move on from this mess. Hopefully one day we'll get the books to see how the story was properly meant to end and that will be that.

No, people are mad cuz the writing has been legit shit. The supposed plot-points that they are working around that Martin has given them are fine, the execution is what's lacking. Daenerys' descent into madness is something that should have been gradually established not simply justified by inserting some throw-away lines here and there and expect us to believe that all of a sudden she wants to murder innocent civilians, when she has only ever shown ruthlessness towards her enemies before. Literally two episodes ago she was helping save humanity and now she's committing genocide. um2 Don't even get me started on Jaime saying "I never cared for the innocent". I guess he became the Kingslayer cuz he was bored.  aura1

jj4

No, it has been alluded too, in all eight seasons and throughout the books.

I'm not going to defend the show, mainly because I prefer the books and I do agree with messy executions, but the allusion of her capacity for madness and violence isn't simply "throw-away" content. You see hints of it in the very start when her brother is killed. Yes, she goes on a moral crusade with the slavery-arc, but on the other hand, she's conquering these lands. It's easy to pay attention to the good part, when you're also not considering the wider implications, but when the Dragons hatch, and as she becomes more powerful, her capacity for cruelty, violence and "genocide" gets wider and wider.  I mean, didn't she feed a few of the good masters to her dragons? 

You can cloak it by calling it justice, but it's all just the same. When you throw in the setting, and her connection to it, and her family's connection to it, the fact that she's clearly been holding herself back, and her giving into it, is perfectly acceptable. The fact that the books run largely on a similar track means that we're probably going to see something similar. 

Your argument seems more reasonable, the shit I've been seeing is that people are outraged over Dany's sudden face turn entirely and they're seem outraged and think that it's not in her character at all, and it's like... 

She's always been this way, this is her character, her story is the story of the fact that she knows she's prone to it, and more than likely, it's going to end her with finally giving into it entirely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

People are being so extra. I’ve enjoyed this season just fine. And as for Daenerys, she’s shown tendencies for madness and sociopathic behavior for quite a long time, this isn’t a sudden development. Even if it does seem rushed a bit, this is always how it was gonna end, GRRM literally gave them notes.

 

Anyway, I’m looking forward to The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring because I also love the books. Some things will certainly be different, and definitely more intense, but overall I’m expecting the story to head in the same direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

jj4

No, it has been alluded too, in all eight seasons and throughout the books.

I'm not going to defend the show, mainly because I prefer the books and I do agree with messy executions, but the allusion of her capacity for madness and violence isn't simply "throw-away" content. You see hints of it in the very start when her brother is killed. Yes, she goes on a moral crusade with the slavery-arc, but on the other hand, she's conquering these lands. It's easy to pay attention to the good part, when you're also not considering the wider implications, but when the Dragons hatch, and as she becomes more powerful, her capacity for cruelty, violence and "genocide" gets wider and wider.  I mean, didn't she feed a few of the good masters to her dragons? 

You can cloak it by calling it justice, but it's all just the same. When you throw in the setting, and her connection to it, and her family's connection to it, the fact that she's clearly been holding herself back, and her giving into it, is perfectly acceptable. The fact that the books run largely on a similar track means that we're probably going to see something similar. 

You're argument seems more reasonable, the shit I've been seeing is that people are outraged over Dany's sudden face turn entirely and they're seem outraged and think that it's not in her character at all, and it's like... 

She's always been this way, this is her character, her story is the story of the fact that she knows she's prone to it, and more than likely, it's going to end her with finally giving into it entirely. 

Yeah, I'm not mad at the fact that she goes mad, I'm mad at the fact that it's rushed as hell and doesn't feel authentic. The books will obviously do a much deeper dive into her mindset. I haven't actually read ADWD yet (I was somewhere halfway through AFFC a few months ago when I was last reading it moo1), but I know that towards the end when she's wandering alone in the wilderness and hallucinating and shit she decides on the Fire and Blood route. GRRM will have two books to develop this tho, the show did it in two episodes. nicki4 I don't consider the quasi cruel things she's done before as signs, because other characters have done equally horrible things and are still painted as heroes/sympathetic. jj4

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hylia said:

People are being so extra. I’ve enjoyed this season just fine. And as for Daenerys, she’s shown tendencies for madness and sociopathic behavior for quite a long time, this isn’t a sudden development. Even if it does seem rushed a bit, this is always how it was gonna end, GRRM literally gave them notes.

 

Anyway, I’m looking forward to The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring because I also love the books. Some things will certainly be different, and definitely more intense, but overall I’m expecting the story to head in the same direction.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kirjava said:

Yeah, I'm not mad at the fact that she goes mad, I'm mad at the fact that it's rushed as hell and doesn't feel authentic. The books will obviously do a much deeper dive into her mindset. I haven't actually read ADWD yet (I was somewhere halfway through AFFC a few months ago when I was last reading it moo1), but I know that towards the end when she's wandering alone in the wilderness and hallucinating and shit she decides on the Fire and Blood route. GRRM will have two books to develop this tho, the show did it in two episodes. nicki4 I don't consider the quasi cruel things she's done before as signs, because other characters have done equally horrible things and are still painted as heroes/sympathetic. jj4

I won't get into a literary debate, obviously the books will draw it out more, and that's why I thought he should've released the last books before the last two seasons, it might have avoided this. If some people want to think that Dany burning King's Landing down is an about-turn, that's their right. It's really not so much of an abrupt-turn as it's her fianlly giving into something that's always been there. The fact that she' fighting it, and slowly giving into it more and more (i.e. The Tarleys last season) -- and finally snaps at the very end, that seems more realistic to me. I've always gotten this psycho-vibe from her, from the moment she ate the horse heart in season one. 

But I guess each person interprets it in their own. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I-

lol

I mean, yes there were some messes here and there, but so far I am enjoying this season. I definitely don't like what Jon Snow has become this season but I expect a plot twist in the last episode. I hated how some characters died though - not mentioning names because I don't want to spoil for those who haven't watched yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

this will literally never happen, anyways i am hopeful for maybe an animation version that page-for-page from the books

7 hours ago, Hylia said:

People are being so extra. I’ve enjoyed this season just fine. And as for Daenerys, she’s shown tendencies for madness and sociopathic behavior for quite a long time, this isn’t a sudden development. Even if it does seem rushed a bit, this is always how it was gonna end, GRRM literally gave them notes.

 

Anyway, I’m looking forward to The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring because I also love the books. Some things will certainly be different, and definitely more intense, but overall I’m expecting the story to head in the same direction.

actually GRRM just told them how he wanted to end the series, he has actually been detached from the show since Season 5 now. Rarely talks about it, and has shaded the show here and there. nicki5 

I know you think I'm hating on this just to mess with you, but really there are just too many writing issues, plot inconsistencies etc and logic is just out of the window. And D&D have a history of putting out really bad stuff. Its entertaining to watch yes but when you really think about it the quality has declined dramatically. And as someone who enjoys the writing side of things (as a writer myself) it's really frustrating to watch. Personally for me, I'm not mad about the idea, I like the concept of Dany going mad, it's just the way that it was done... for example when you see Ned die in Season 1 it is shocking, but you can logically trace back all the events that led to his death so the story feels resolved. Arya jumping in to kill white walkers she learned about two episodes ago is just not believable... The problems of the show go back as far as Sansa's rape imo, which was really unnecessary. 

Having said that, I tried to get you into for so long (and you out-read the books before me we-) so I'm really glad you enjoyed the show. I hope you don't think I'm shitting on S8 to mess with you ily cry9 

Anyways, I was reading somewhere that KL being destroyed is the plot for Jon Connington and Aegon in the books which D&D decided to give it to Dany's arc. scream1 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

jj4

No, it has been alluded too, in all eight seasons and throughout the books.

I'm not going to defend the show, mainly because I prefer the books and I do agree with messy executions, but the allusion of her capacity for madness and violence isn't simply "throw-away" content. You see hints of it in the very start when her brother is killed. Yes, she goes on a moral crusade with the slavery-arc, but on the other hand, she's conquering these lands. It's easy to pay attention to the good part, when you're also not considering the wider implications, but when the Dragons hatch, and as she becomes more powerful, her capacity for cruelty, violence and "genocide" gets wider and wider.  I mean, didn't she feed a few of the good masters to her dragons? 

You can cloak it by calling it justice, but it's all just the same. When you throw in the setting, and her connection to it, and her family's connection to it, the fact that she's clearly been holding herself back, and her giving into it, is perfectly acceptable. The fact that the books run largely on a similar track means that we're probably going to see something similar. 

Your argument seems more reasonable, the shit I've been seeing is that people are outraged over Dany's sudden face turn entirely and they're seem outraged and think that it's not in her character at all, and it's like... 

She's always been this way, this is her character, her story is the story of the fact that she knows she's prone to it, and more than likely, it's going to end her with finally giving into it entirely. 

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-better-way-game-of-thrones-could-have-arrived-at-this-1834720538/amp

 

I like the mad queen turn of events. I think the alternative version in the link is a much better build up to it.

 

TLDR: Rhaegal doesn’t suddenly die while ambushed in the last episode, so Jon and Dany conquer King’s landing on the two dragons and the city surrenders as they did in The Bells. All seems well when suddenly hidden ballistas in the city kill rhaegal and potentially Jon as they fall from their perch. Dany watches in horror and, while being attacked by guérilla defenses and in a rage of emotions of watching her loved ones die, destroys the entire city as she does in the episode. Much better, don’t you think? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Vesper said:

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-better-way-game-of-thrones-could-have-arrived-at-this-1834720538/amp

 

I like the mad queen turn of events. I think the alternative version in the link is a much better build up to it.

 

TLDR: Rhaegal doesn’t suddenly die while ambushed in the last episode, so Jon and Dany conquer King’s landing on the two dragons and the city surrenders as they did in The Bells. All seems well when suddenly hidden ballistas in the city kill rhaegal and potentially Jon as they fall from their perch. Dany watches in horror and, while being attacked by guérilla defenses and in a rage of emotions of watching her loved ones die, destroys the entire city as she does in the episode. Much better, don’t you think? 

No; not that I don’t like that, but it feels far too tight and neat, far too neat for this series. I’m not without criticism of this episode too, I, for one, feel that the death of the Lannisters should’ve been more dramatic and brutal. 

The execution not withstanding, the pacing makes perfect sense in my opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, it has been alluded too, in all eight seasons and throughout the books. I'm not going to defend the show, mainly because I prefer the books and I do agree with messy executions, but the allus

First of all: do they think that they just made the basis of it up out of thin air? They’re basing it off of material that Martin gave them, I can fucking assure you of that. And knowing Martin, and h

Yes, but loud opinions on the internet hardly translate into reality -- but I suppose that the same could be said about my opinion, so we'll agree to disagree.  You also have to keep in mind that


  • Browsing now   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×