Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Aidan.

LGBT Mosque Sparks Controversy

Theres no specific article I can link but I think this was the tweet that started the discussion

Also if you look at the Twitter feed about it you can see a whole bunch of different opinions

I am having issues with people saying they support the LGBT community but seem to have issues with the due to what is considered a sin in Islam

I would appreciate some more context and insight and opinions on this because I am confused as hell

iirc, i learned that in Islam, the Quran (the Islamic holy book) is very strict and that the woman has to basically obey to the men of the family.

Which conflicts LGBT relationships.

Believe it or not, there are many LGBT folk who find balance in being LGBT and following faith. And unfortunately for them, they don't have alot of options to join 'churches or mosques'. So if they want to create their own safe space then I don't see the problem with that. 

we love EVERYBODY here

POkCj2Q.gif

13 minutes ago, Sylk said:

Believe it or not, there are many LGBT folk who find balance in being LGBT and following faith. And unfortunately for them, they don't have alot of options to join 'churches or mosques'. So if they want to create their own safe space then I don't see the problem with that. 

we love EVERYBODY here

POkCj2Q.gif

this

also religions and the way they're practiced change sksk

17 minutes ago, tomás said:

this

also religions and the way they're practiced change sksk

not really the case with Islam. i think its been the same for as long as the Quran was written. (and never edited)

In orthodoxy, LGBT issues are sin and/or frowned upon by most western religions. Modern interpretations are more accepting of it, but there’s always that strict conservative set that will never accept it. So, if they accept it - good for them, but just be aware that I doesn’t represent the whole religion. 

5 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

not really the case with Islam. i think its been the same for as long as the Quran was written. (and never edited)

there's always a first timehottie1

I have a straight friend who happens to be a Muslim but fully supports LGBT issues and is even pro-choice. However his family are quite conservative (and closed minded) on the bulk of these issues. I think he sets a good example of how things could (and should) be. Although not everyone will agree with me, i dislike people who believe holy books are fact and must be followed word for word. If everyone followed that logic of thinking the world would never progress and humanity wouldn't evolve. 

It angers me that there's still countries and groups who will demonise people for loving someone of the same gender. I find myself very lucky as a gay man to have grown in the 21st century in the UK, although i've never personally experienced any real homophobia (probably due to the fact i didn't come out until after leaving school and i don't have the stereotypical "gay voice"). I do frequently see homophobic people commenting on news articles, there was a set of stairs in the city centre here painted rainbow colours recently and although it wasn't affiliated with anything (site owner literally just wanted to paint the steps) the comments were full of people associating it with LGBT and how LGBT people are "taking over", additionally you still seem to get lots of bigoted straight people who don't understand why LGBT pride still exists. Yes the UK may almost have total equal rights in terms of law, but homophobia and wrong perceptions of LGBT people still continue. Not to mention there's still not equal rights in other counties. 

Urrrgh. gaga1

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.