Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Americunt

Tove Lo | Sunshine Kitty | September 20th, 2019

tove-lo-sunshine-kitty-universal.jpg
1. Gritty Pretty (Intro)
2. Glad He's Gone
3. Bad as the Boys (feat. ALMA)
4. Sweettalk My Heart
5. Stay Over
6. Are U Gonna Tell Her? (feat. MC Zaac)
7. Jacques (feat. Jax Jones)
8. Mateo
9. Come Undone
10. Equally Lost (feat. Doja Cat)
11. Really Don't Like U (feat. Kylie Minogue)
12. Shifted
13. Mistaken
14. Anywhere U Go

Well, album title as ear attaching as it can get is not really what I would have hoped for previously, but after Lady Wood and Blue Lips, one couldn't really expect to be further from there. jj2

Glad He's Gone sounds the best of the bunch. 

I wasn't really impressed or completely mesmerized by any of the singles. Glad He's Gone is definitely a grower and with time I started liking it. It just came as somehow too toned down, but I always appreciated honesty and rawness of the song. Bad As The Boys was instantly kind off better to me. She actually managed to build up emotional factor from Glad He's Gone and the song was clinging to my ear, especially their verses. Then Jacques came in and, considering how thumping and bloated club/house music can be and how good that can feel, this one landed right on all of my play-lists. It's just dance bolster and must have song for any party-esque situation. Really Don't Like U felted in similar way to the first two singles impressions-wise. Chorus instantly showed itself as carrier of the whole material and something I was going back to and I needed couple more listens to get closer to song as a whole. 

And I just have finished listening to the whole album for the first time and I can say that it definitely left quite of an impression. jj2 Lady Wood is that loud, completely raw record, rhythmic perfection. Blue Lips is definitely more vulnerable and calmer sound-wise. Then Sunshine Kitty comes as even mellower, more chilling collection of songs still dealing with the same themes from the previous albums, but with different drives and beats. Sweetalk My Heart and Stay Over are nice couple of songs following overall simmered vibe of the singles. Are U Gonna Tell Her? got the right chorus, but I can already say it didn't splash much water around.

Then Jacques starts, every single wall is natuarlly vibrating and the best moments of album truly come with this one and after it. Mateo felt like it would deserve top 3 placement. It has production value, it has lyrics, it has overall captivating vibe. Come Undone is like after-party after Mateo. Both in sound and theme and overall continuous emotional atmosphere. Equally Lost's last 10 seconds will definitely be used for incoming calls on phone and during car rides. Sick one. Perfectly sung chorus. They way beats picks up with the last lines of Doja Cat's part is the moment. Nothing evolutionary, but so in pace with the rest of the melody that you just have to move ( if you are sitting in the first place ). Shifted, Mistaken and Anywhere U Go are definitely trio spawned from Bad As The Boys, Mateo and Come Undone. Thematics are similar, emotional depth, catchy instrumentals, polished and glossy. Last two are definitely worth as last chapters and closing tracks. They don't carry that pink, happy vibe all around, but they definitely don't share the same blue and melancholic tone of Hey You Got Drugs? They are on the line bewteen those two situations leaning towards sadder side a bit more. 

The album is still baby for me to determine its place among other records, but I already like to see this as some sort of connection between Lady Wood and Blue Lips even though it feels like natural continuation. 

2 hours ago, Ghostface said:

I wasn't really impressed or completely mesmerized by any of the singles. Glad He's Gone is definitely a grower and with time I started liking it. It just came as somehow too toned down, but I always appreciated honesty and rawness of the song. Bad As The Boys was instantly kind off better to me. She actually managed to build up emotional factor from Glad He's Gone and the song was clinging to my ear, especially their verses. Then Jacques came in and, considering how thumping and bloated club/house music can be and how good that can feel, this one landed right on all of my play-lists. It's just dance bolster and must have song for any party-esque situation. Really Don't Like U felted in similar way to the first two singles impressions-wise. Chorus instantly showed itself as carrier of the whole material and something I was going back to and I needed couple more listens to get closer to song as a whole. 

And I just have finished listening to the whole album for the first time and I can say that it definitely left quite of an impression. jj2 Lady Wood is that loud, completely raw record, rhythmic perfection. Blue Lips is definitely more vulnerable and calmer sound-wise. Then Sunshine Kitty comes as even mellower, more chilling collection of songs still dealing with the same themes from the previous albums, but with different drives and beats. Sweetalk My Heart and Stay Over are nice couple of songs following overall simmered vibe of the singles. Are U Gonna Tell Her? got the right chorus, but I can already say it didn't splash much water around.

Then Jacques starts, every single wall is natuarlly vibrating and the best moments of album truly come with this one and after it. Mateo felt like it would deserve top 3 placement. It has production value, it has lyrics, it has overall captivating vibe. Come Undone is like after-party after Mateo. Both in sound and theme and overall continuous emotional atmosphere. Equally Lost's last 10 seconds will definitely be used for incoming calls on phone and during car rides. Sick one. Perfectly sung chorus. They way beats picks up with the last lines of Doja Cat's part is the moment. Nothing evolutionary, but so in pace with the rest of the melody that you just have to move ( if you are sitting in the first place ). Shifted, Mistaken and Anywhere U Go are definitely trio spawned from Bad As The Boys, Mateo and Come Undone. Thematics are similar, emotional depth, catchy instrumentals, polished and glossy. Last two are definitely worth as last chapters and closing tracks. They don't carry that pink, happy vibe all around, but they definitely don't share the same blue and melancholic tone of Hey You Got Drugs? They are on the line bewteen those two situations leaning towards sadder side a bit more. 

The album is still baby for me to determine its place among other records, but I already like to see this as some sort of connection between Lady Wood and Blue Lips even though it feels like natural continuation. 

I also appreciate the (admittedly negligible) change in sound! I always found the Lady Wood saga to be way too self-serious, weirdly enough, even though Blue Lips was great dead2 I'm not completely sold on the album generally though! I don't think she's ever delivered a fantastic body of work, though I was pleasantly surprised at how surprisingly cohesive and consistent Sunshine Kitty was without needing to hinge on the tired "mini-album within an album" conceits that she used to love incorporating into her albums! maybe it'll be a grower?

first-listen faves were Sweettalk my Heart, Jacques, Shifted, and Really don't like u anyway jj2 

Just now, Hunty Bear said:

Lady Wart is literally her worst album nicki5 tired of this narrative that it was good when it was literally stale-on-arrival

Stop acting like Blue Waffle didn’t age like a milk when it came out dead2 

1 minute ago, Urbanov said:

Stop acting like Blue Waffle didn’t age like a milk when it came out dead2 

stop acting like Lady Wood wasn't aged milk WHEN it was released dead2 literally nothing on that album had longevity besides Cool Girl, WTF Love Is and MAYBE (and I'm really pushing it here) the title track dead1 Blue Lips at least has disco tits, bitches, shedontknowbutsheknows, shivering gold, hey you got drugs?, and stranger rip4 all of which are HEAD and shoulders better than anything bar the 2 or 3 highlights on Lardy Wood....please luv, clownery is not a good look x

giphy.gif

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.