Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Hylia

BANKS | III | July 12th, 2019

D71SuzxUwAUNnUA.jpg

01 Till Now

02 Gimme

03 Contaminated

04 Stroke

05 Godless

06 Sawzall

07 Look What You're Doing to Me

08 Hawaiian Mazes

09 Alaska

10 Propaganda

11 The Fall

12 If We Were Made of Water

13 What About Love

1st Single:

Gimme

2nd Single:

Look What You’re Doing To Me (feat. Francis and the Lights)

3rd Single:

Contaminated

3 hours ago, Freaky Prince said:

Tbh, I've never given her a try aura1 But I will make sure to check out The Altar, since everyone seems to love it aura1

If you like The Altar, give Goddess a listen too!

Tracklist!

01 Till Now

02 Gimme

03 Contaminated

04 Stroke

05 Godless

06 Sawzall

08 Hawaiian Mazes

09 Alaska

10 Propaganda

11 The Fall

13 What About Love

22 minutes ago, Hylia said:

Tracklist!

01 Till Now

02 Gimme

03 Contaminated

04 Stroke

05 Godless

06 Sawzall

08 Hawaiian Mazes

09 Alaska

10 Propaganda

11 The Fall

13 What About Love

Gimme gimme what I want! 

p74oKYN.gif

We start the album with "'Till Now", a melodic intro featuring vocals drenched in vocoder and a minimalist beat that reminds me of "Better". "Contaminated" is this album's "Mind Games". The bass on "Stroke" could collapse a building! It reminds me of her pre-Goddess work, such as Fall Over and especially Warm Water but with so much more power and energy. The bass with the kicks and the wobbly synths are lit.  

The chorus on "Godless" reminds me strongly of Justin Timberlake 2006 R&B vibes. "Sawzall" strips it back with a more laid back, chill vibe featuring some guitars and vintage bells/plucks. "Hawaiian Mazes" screams a vintage, throwback sound more so than any other track on the album. "Alaska" is an evolved "Haunt", the sassiness in her vocals and the very odd sound choices on a dance-y beat.  

"Propaganda" is simply delicious! It should definitely be a single as it is close enough to be this album's "Gemini Feed" or "Beggin' For Thread". She treads on a mainstream, tasty pop chorus but still keeps it weird enough to be BANKS. The last three songs strip it back again and serve as the ballad trinity that closes the album. "The Fall" is a new ballad sound for her while the other two "If We Were Made Of Water" and "What About Love" are classic BANKS. "What About Love" features some lovely strings. 

Overall, this record definitely did not disappoint for me. A big chunk of the album incorporates so many '90s/2000s elements, heavily inspired by those years R&B and hip-hop sounds, whether it would be the sound choice (the synths, drums, piano etc.) or the melody. It treads more on the experimental sides of her, as we seen before on "Haunt", "Poltergeist" and "Mind Games". If you liked "Gimme", you're gonna love this album. But if you were hoping for catchy pop choruses, this might not be for you. Some listeners might think it sounds really dated but I think it's a throwback project with a unique BANKS touch. My initial favourites are Stroke, Godless and Propaganda.

ATRLer review, I'm ready for AOTY in two weeks

giphy.gif 

1 minute ago, AngryAzalean said:

I haven't finished listening yet but Trainwreck SLAPS omggg gaga7

Tea! Let the superior second half take you to heaven to meet Judas and Mother Earth, stan arguably her best song To The Hilt and be slayed by epic closer 27 Hours! Lots of Gimme 1.0s in there gaga13 

1 minute ago, Venus XCX said:

Tea! Let the superior second half take you to heaven to meet Judas and Mother Earth, stan arguably her best song To The Hilt and be slayed by epic closer 27 Hours! Lots of Gimme 1.0s in there gaga13 

Mother Earth ugh... a SONG oprah2 

On 6/30/2019 at 12:50 PM, Venus XCX said:

Let us know your review ari5

So I've listened to the album a couple of times and Trainwreck is by far my fave, I luv Haunt, Poltergeist and Judas too, and I'm gonna replay Mind Games, Lovesick, Mother Earth and To The Hilt when I'm sad to, definitely more intrigued for the album next week if I'm correct jj2

12 minutes ago, AngryAzalean said:

So I've listened to the album a couple of times and Trainwreck is by far my fave, I luv Haunt, Poltergeist and Judas too, and I'm gonna replay Mind Games, Lovesick, Mother Earth and To The Hilt when I'm sad to, definitely more intrigued for the album next week if I'm correct jj2

Yess Mother Earth and TTH are perfect for those moods clap3 Can III come sooner cry1 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.