Sign in to follow this  

Rank or rate Disney's live action remakes that you've seen

Beauty and the Beast (2017) - 7/10. This one I'm fairly easy on because I do love the original - which I watched probably literally about 100 times as a kid - and I guess all of them are essentially nostalgia pieces but this one works the best for me.

Aladdin (2019) - 6.5. Better than I was expecting, and as much as I/everyone mocked the Genie due to the trailers he's mostly not the problem (although he still looks creepy in his blue form at times). Jafar is much less threatening here and I also don't like how all of Aladdin's charisma goes out the window at a certain point, but I don't regret going to see it by any means.

Maleficent (2014) - 6/10. Not much to say about it, worth renting once I guess. Zero interest in the sequel.

Cinderella (2015) - 6/10. Only thing I really remember about it is how the mom is introduced...and then dies in the next scene. Almost comedic...

101 Dalmations (1996) - 5/10. Don't really remember much, but I did not care for it. 

Alice in Wonderland (2010) - 4/10. Oddly visually unappealing...

The Jungle Book

Cinderella

Beauty and the Beast

Alice in Wonderland

Haven't seen Dumbo or Aladdin.

1. Alice in Wonderland

2. The Jungle Book

3. Cinderella

4. Maleficent

5. Alice Through the Looking Glass

I actually like all of the above, ATTLG is the only one I felt was a bit unnecessary. I love the original Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass books so I was disappointed that the movie was just yet another Wonderland focused adventure rather than the new realm that Through the Looking Glass’ source material had her travel to, but I still enjoyed it.

I want to see Aladdin and Dumbo and I’m excited for the Maleficent sequel, but I have no interest in watching Beauty and the Beast. It was always my least favorite of the original movies.

I haven't seen Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland in YEARS and I refuse to watch the other live action films because I feel like the trend is completely money-hungry and unnecessary. I also feel that the Alice in Wonderland film was done purely to profit off of the hype for the American McGee's Alice sequel (the concept of Alice fighting the Jabberwocky was directly ripped from the first game), and 100% so was the 2011 film Sucker Punch. I liked Sucker Punch though so I give it a pass nat1

1 hour ago, Hylia said:

1. Alice in Wonderland

2. The Jungle Book

3. Cinderella

4. Maleficent

5. Alice Through the Looking Glass

I actually like all of the above, ATTLG is the only one I felt was a bit unnecessary. I love the original Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass books so I was disappointed that the movie was just yet another Wonderland focused adventure rather than the new realm that Through the Looking Glass’ source material had her travel to, but I still enjoyed it.

I want to see Aladdin and Dumbo and I’m excited for the Maleficent sequel, but I have no interest in watching Beauty and the Beast. It was always my least favorite of the original movies.

Yeah if you don't like the original Beauty and the Beast I wouldn't bother with the remake, I'd say it's about 85% the same movie as the original. I was actually a little surprised with Aladdin, it wasn't as close as I was expecting, probably more like 60-65% the same.

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

The Jungle Book

Cinderella

Beauty and the Beast

Alice in Wonderland

Haven't seen Dumbo or Aladdin.

So is The Jungle Book actually good or just the okayest? rip2  I only saw the trailers and I wasn't too interested, but one thing it seem to have going for it that Kaa was actually threatening, unlike most of the villains in these films. 

2 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

So is The Jungle Book actually good or just the okayest? rip2  I only saw the trailers and I wasn't too interested, but one thing it seem to have going for it that Kaa was actually threatening, unlike most of the villains in these films. 

I actually think The Jungle Book was pretty great. I’d go as far to say I prefer it over the original.

19 minutes ago, Hylia said:

I actually think The Jungle Book was pretty great. I’d go as far to say I prefer it over the original.

Yeah? I haven't seen the original Jungle Book in quite a long time, I was OK with it but it was never one off my favorites. I guess I'll keep an eye out for the remake.

Are you interested Favreau's Lion King remake then? I was never really a fan of the original but I figure this new one will be a one and done deal in the theatre for me.

Aladdin wasn’t bad. Naomi Scott slayed as Jasmine. Her acting and singing were on point. Mena Massoud as Aladdin was mmm sexy, but his acting felt cringe sometimes and his singing was lackluster. Will Smith did surprisingly well as Genie. No Robin Williams, but I expected much worse. Jafar was too much of a soft-spoken pussy and not a maniac like in the cartoon.

Its about a 7/10. 

7 minutes ago, Umbreon said:

Aladdin wasn’t bad. Naomi Scott slayed as Jasmine. Her acting and singing were on point. Mena Massoud as Aladdin was mmm sexy, but his acting felt cringe sometimes and his singing was lackluster. Will Smith did surprisingly well as Genie. No Robin Williams, but I expected much worse. Jafar was too much of a soft-spoken pussy and not a maniac like in the cartoon.

Its about a 7/10. 

I think the guy playing Aladdin mostly did well, but one thing I don't like (that wasn't really his fault) is when they go to the palace and Aladdin is suddenly stuck in this awkward moron mode, I guess the difference being that he now knows Jasmine is a princess but they took it too far.

I do think Jafar should've been much more intimidating, even his genie form, one of the coolest parts of the original, is pretty pathetic. I did like the idea of him being a former thief who had backstabbed his way into his role as advisor but it was underdeveloped.

Just now, Dennis Reynolds said:

I think the guy playing Aladdin mostly did well, but one thing I don't like (that wasn't really his fault) is when they go to the palace and Aladdin is suddenly stuck in this awkward moron mode, I guess the difference being that he now knows Jasmine is a princess but they took it too far.

I do think Jafar should've been much more intimidating, even his genie form, one of the coolest parts of the original, is pretty pathetic. I did like the idea of his being a former thief who had backstabbed his way into his role as advisor but it was  underdeveloped.

I do appreciate the slight backstory they gave Jafar and I love that Jasmine has a more political role. Her song tho... SUCH A BEAUTIFUL UNEXPECTED TREAT 

11 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Yeah? I haven't seen the original Jungle Book in quite a long time, I was OK with it but it was never one off my favorites. I guess I'll keep an eye out for the remake.

Are you interested Favreau's Lion King remake then? I was never really a fan of the original but I figure this new one will be a one and done deal in the theatre for me.

I don’t know how I forgot about Lion King. Yeah I wanna see it, but like you I’m not really a fan of the original. It’s also been a long time since I e seen it though, so I could be surprised.

1. Beauty and the Beast
  2. Cinderella
  3. Alice In Wonderland

rip2