Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

WinnieIsFree

Caution vs Madame X: Reviews!

3 minutes ago, The One Beyond All said:

lol a serious topic matched with a serious/heavy song would be unappealing. xtina6

Anyway, God Control >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vogue xtina6

Serious topics done right:

1-800-273-8255 - Khalid

Chandelier - Sia

Strange Fruit - Billie Holiday 

Gloomy Sunday - Bjork

Sober - Demi Lovato

Serious topics done wrong:

God Control

xtina3 

16 minutes ago, Vesper said:

So we’re both cringing now lol3 She’s talking about serious subjects so I expect some depth to her lyrics. I didn’t find any lol3 

I mean, again - you stan fucking Björk and you tragically fail to understand aesthetic decisions driven by one's artistic licence as opposed to the idea you created in your mind that Madonna thought she penned a triumphant set of words. The art lies in subtlety and the corners of these type of songs, an approach your favorite artist heavily relies on yet you turn the blind eye when it comes to Madonna's attempts. And it's funny, 'cause the "objective" slash emotional and genuine lyrics that the "normal" listener can catch on immediately are evident as well, in the same songs you're criticizing for lacking that element:

Everybody knows the damn truth
Our nation lied, and lost respect
When we wake up, what can we do?
Get the kids ready
Take them to school
Everybody knows they don't have a chance
To get a decent job
To have a normal life
When they talk reforms, it makes me laugh
They pretend to help, it makes me laugh
I think I understand why people get a gun
I think I understand why we all give up
Every day they have a kind of victory
Blood of innocence, spread everywhere
They say that we need love
But we need more than this
We lost god control

It's a con
It's a hustle
It's a weird kind of energy
A bizarre thing that happens to be
An abnormal fraternity
And I feel more than sympathy

These (content wise) could have easily been taken from an universally praised Bruce Springsteen booklet. But no, let's pretend the more deliberately experimental or "meta" lyrics are straight up bad - before we even attempt to analyze their merits. That's just straight up laziness.

1 minute ago, The One Beyond All said:

straightforward lyrics deliver the powerful message better rih14

Opinions. And her lyrics weren’t good, straightforward or not. xtina4 My opinion, get over it lol3 

10 minutes ago, Jjang said:

I mean, again - you stan fucking Björk and you tragically fail to understand aesthetic decisions driven by one's artistic licence as opposed to the idea you created in your mind that Madonna thought she penned a triumphant set of words. The art lies in subtlety and the corners of these type of songs, an approach your favorite artist heavily relies on yet you turn the blind eye when it comes to Madonna's attempts. And it's funny, 'cause the "objective" slash emotional and genuine lyrics that the "normal" listener can catch on immediately is so easily found in the song you're criticizing 

Everybody knows the damn truth
Our nation lied, and lost respect
When we wake up, what can we do?
Get the kids ready
Take them to school
Everybody knows they don't have a chance
To get a decent job
To have a normal life
When they talk reforms, it makes me laugh
They pretend to help, it makes me laugh
I think I understand why people get a gun
I think I understand why we all give up
Every day they have a kind of victory
Loving ourselves, spread everywhere
They say that we need love
But we need more than this
We lost god control

It's a con
It's a hustle
It's a weird kind of energy
A bizarre thing that happens to be
An abnormal fraternity
And I feel more than sympathy

These (content wise) could have easily been taken from an universally praised Bruce Springsteen booklet. But no, let's pretend the more deliberately experimental or "meta" lyrics are straight up bad - before we even attempt to analyze their merits. That's just straight up laziness.

Don’t try to spin that “because you like Bjork you MUST like Madonna!!!” Girl that’s lazy. brit9 

17 minutes ago, Vesper said:

So we’re both cringing now lol3 She’s talking about serious subjects so I expect some depth to her lyrics. I didn’t find any lol3 

Clockwork orange is a great film, but great reference doesn’t make good music. lol3 I can’t listen to that track without the biggest urge to hit skip.

I did but anyway. lol3

A film with a soundtrack that improves it a lot, and includes a similar music theme as Dark Ballet but anyway again. lol3

1 minute ago, Madame X said:

I did but anyway. lol3

A film with a soundtrack that improves it a lot, and includes a similar music theme as Dark Ballet but anyway again. lol3

I don’t know her lol3 

Just now, Vesper said:

Don’t try to spin that “because you like Bjork you MUST like Madonna!!!” Girl that’s lazy. 

That's not lazy at all, lol. You know damn well (If you actually took the time to deeply analyze your favorite artist's artistic choices) that in terms of progression, lyrical content and whatever being a "wordsmith" Bjork is easily beaten by like, uhm, 18 million artists? But what shaped her work to be so acclaimed are themes, contexts and artistic sensibility. To be entirely aware of that medium and then to attack Madonna for the same thing is just a horrendous act to me, sorry. Maybe from a shallow Pop listener type of observations - I would have completely agreed with you. But this album in particular warrants a more analytical listen, especially if you're going to attack it for not being deep. 

5 minutes ago, Jjang said:

That's not lazy at all, lol. You know damn well (If you actually took the time to deeply analyze your favorite artist's artistic choices) that in terms of progression, lyrical content and whatever being a "wordsmith" Bjork is easily beaten by like, uhm, 18 million artists? But what shaped her work to be so acclaimed are themes, contexts and artistic sensibility. To be entirely aware of that medium and then to attack Madonna for the same thing is just a horrendous act to me, sorry. Maybe from a shallow Pop listener type of observations - I would have completely agreed with you. But this album in particular warrants a more analytical listen, especially if you're going to attack it for not being deep. 

I never claimed Bjork is the best lyricist, in fact some of her songs can be too esoteric and abstract for me. 

Copy pasted from from previously edited comment:

I like straightforward lyrics just as much as I like a metaphor or symbolic lyrics. One type isn’t necessarily better than the other, it’s the EXECUTION and how it was done, and what was said.

the intro to God’s plan was the best part of the song, before it devolved into some weird disco track with terrible auto tune and synths lol3 it’s her artistic decision, and it’s my right to not like or enjoy it because I think it sounds terrible. Madonna’s attempt is an attempt at something out of the norm, and for you you think it’s a success, and for others (not just me) it isn’t. The overall track is not one I would care to listen to again, and the message got lost for me after the intro because I was cringing at the bad synths and auto tune and the melody whilst listening to her talk about something serious... lol3 

but I’ll give the album another listen because I think you have good points and I’m willing to give it another shot. brit10 

22 minutes ago, Vesper said:

What’s that? brit10 

A song from Like a Prayer that lyrically talks about a serious issue but is mixed with an uptempo "happy" danceable beat, as God Control, yet is considered one of her best songs ever as the album itself. rav1 What does it matters if the song is danceable? Is music afterall. Dance music can't talk abour serious subjects? Dance music should be only about unimportant things or love? Dance music shouldn't be taken lyrically seriously? I realy don't get that. rav1

madame x had some cool production but i really, really can not look past the horrible autotune mad5 it just doesn't fit with the songs or the lyrics imo, even tho i get that she used it for the effect. 

20 minutes ago, Madame X said:

A song from Like a Prayer that lyrically talks about a serious issue but is mixed with an uptempo "happy" danceable beat, as God Control, yet is considered one of her best songs ever as the album itself. rav1 What does it matters if the song is danceable? Is music afterall. Dance music can't talk abour serious subjects? Dance music should be only about unimportant things or love? Dance music shouldn't be taken lyrically seriously? I realy don't get that. rav1

It’s HOW its done. nat1 

5 hours ago, Madame X said:

Caution as a whole was a way more commercial album than Madame X. :) Collaborating with new people isn't try-harding, things change, music industry change, collabs exist in almost every album by big artists nowadays, just check every FOTP fave latest album and you will see it. The "she's trying to hard to stay relevant" excuse when Madonna does it, just makes you look deluded and nothing else, anyone who uses that excuse looks deluded now.

Just accept the fact that you don't like the album and move on. You can keep screaming "she's trying to hard" but besides 2-3 songs the album is one of her least commercial albums. She did what she wanted to do, she tried new things, she tried new sounds that you probably don't like cause you're used to something else, simple.

Reveal hidden contents

FYI Caution had 3-4 collabs withs rappers too, proving that the "she's trying too hard" excuse... was indeed just an easy excuse. knit1Plus i don't think the features are much involved to her albums, especially this one, they just get what she gives them. knit1

Caution as a whole was a way more commercial album than Madame X, x2.

sass1

So your "she's trying to stay relevant" excuse would make more sense right? Idk then, maybe stop stanning Madonna cause she's trying new things/sounds since the beginning of her career?

brit7

Mariah is an R&B / hip hop artist. She has been doing hip hop style songs and collaborating with rappers since Butterfly, and arguably the Daydream era, too. Mariah doesn't come off as being "try hard" because R&B and hip hop is an authentic sound to her. You expect Mariah to release R&B / hip hop songs and collaborate with rappers. When Madonna, a primarily Pop artist, collaborates with rappers, and has hip hop / trap beats on her album, it just comes across as inauthentic. Madonna has almost always made pop music, even during times other genres were more popular. However, it just feels inauthentic for her to suddenly be hopping onto certain genres and artists because they're trendy... She did it with HC. She did it with MDNA with Nicki Minaj and LMFAO. And now, she's collaborating with Swae Lee and Quavo and having more hip hop and trap sounds on her album. I just don't feel like I'm listening to a Madonna album anymore. It just feels way too all over the place with this mesh of all different genres. I did like some tracks on the second half of the album, and because they sounded more pop. However right now, I just don't enjoy the album as it stands. This is a STEEP decline in quality for Madonna imo, compared to Rebel Heart, and even worse if we compare it to ROL, Music, AL, and COADF.

Just my opinion. Maybe it'll grow on me, maybe it won't. I won't turn in my Stan card over just one album.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.