Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Venus XCX

Apple discontinuing iTunes

456293o.jpg?crop=900:600&width=1910

It’s the end of a music era. Nearly two decades after launching iTunes and ripping up the retail-store model of album purchases, Apple is ready to retire the iconic product, according to Bloomberg. During the software keynote at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose, California next Monday, the tech giant is set to replace iTunes with standalone music, television and podcast apps.

The move, which has been rumored for years now, will align Apple’s media strategy across the board: iPhones and iPads already offer separate Music, TV and Podcast apps in lieu of the centralized iTunes app that lives on Macs and Macbooks. Users can expect the new Music app to offer some of the same functionalities that iTunes currently does — such as purchasing songs and syncing phones — just with a sleeker interface that’s free of the outdated and oft-bemoaned features of the heritage product, and more closely bundled with streaming service Apple Music.

Welcome as the death of iTunes may be to frustrated users, the software will forever deserve credit for the revolution it engineered in the early 2000s. Before iTunes debuted, the music industry was tearing its hair out trying to combat illegal file-sharing on Napster; Jobs’ new product presented the digital era’s first sustainable, user-friendly way to listen to music.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/apple-is-finally-killing-itunes-842750/

I'm a little confused. I don't really care if they divide it up for efficiency's sake, but what happens to the music and TV shows I've already bought, or the podcasts I've downloaded? Because I've spent a small fortune on the music at this point...

25 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I'm a little confused. I don't really care if they divide it up for efficiency's sake, but what happens to the music and TV shows I've already bought, or the podcasts I've downloaded? Because I've spent a small fortune on the music at this point...

It'll all still be there, just in separate apps.

I lowkey welcome this because iTunes has become a huge bloated mess nicki5 Luckily they're retaining legacy features like syncing illegal music to my phone nicki5

1 hour ago, Aidan. said:

Looks like I am entirely physical for my biggest faves now and entirely streaming for lesser faves and casual stuff nicki5

Did you read the entire article? There's still going to be a music application for purchasing downloadable music; It's just not going to be called iTunes anymore. This is mostly about partitioning the music store from the video and podcast stores in separate applications. The simultaneous rebranding from iTunes to whatever new name they pick is just a secondary thing.

OK, I’m all for making things streamlined within separate apps, but I’m wondering if they will eventually get out of sales and go subscription only?

25 minutes ago, ajp said:

OK, I’m all for making things streamlined within separate apps, but I’m wondering if they will eventually get out of sales and go subscription only?

There's been rumors about this for years, but I see absolutely no reason for them to leave that space. It costs practically nothing to host downloadable content in comparison to the money they make off of selling that content, even just once. Sales may be lower than they used to be, but they're still more than enough to cover the cost of running the service.

On 6/1/2019 at 12:27 AM, ajp said:

Apple being apple, I'm pretty sure they will, but that's still a couple of years away.

On a different topic, can anyone tell me why are the songs shown behind Steve Jobs in the OP in such a random order? They are neither alphabetical by name, album, artist or genre and it's bothering me A LOT.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:02 PM, jacs vs looser said:

Apple being apple, I'm pretty sure they will, but that's still a couple of years away.

On a different topic, can anyone tell me why are the songs shown behind Steve Jobs in the OP in such a random order? They are neither alphabetical by name, album, artist or genre and it's bothering me A LOT.

Maybe they're in order of most played? IDK. LOL!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.