Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

WinnieIsFree

Are you actually a stan?

Well  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Sissies

• Yes, I’m a stan
    • No I’m not

I feel like stanning someone is a mental illness. 

To be so personally invested into someone you’ve never met, defend them with life and limb, attack anyone who even remotely judges them or you think judges them. Constantly compare them to other artists, go under different artists pages and spamming. 

Living vicariously through a woman, as most gays do. Because they exemplify the everything you want to be, rich, attractive, successful and desired by straight men. They have nice bodies, the same bodies you wanted when you used to sneak into your moms closet and try on her heels. Or wrap your hair in a towel and swing it around like you had weave. 

When I log off of Fotp I rarely think about Mariah, and low key rarely listen to her music besides a few songs. My whole Mariah shtick is more or less something that’s too late to get rid of. I also don’t hate Madonna, before I joined fotp I had never had any negative opinions about her and still don’t. 

This isn't a gay thing anymore, i have seen many straight people being obsessed with their fave rappers etc. sha1 Let's not also forget how rock fans are dragging and being hateful when they talk about pop singers since... ever. sha1

This is a complicated question in the context of the OP chi1 I say "I stan" etc very often but I don't actually do some of the things you mentioned.

I am invested in my faves, I love most of my faves' music, know a good amount of information about them, etc. I browse social media but I don't like/comment/whatever or search for arguments. As a Mars Argo supporter, I will always see liking Poppy as being in extremely bad taste and look down on it, just like a Kesha fan will with Dr. Luke collaborators like Kim Petras, but that's just based on my morals in general.

If I think one of my faves did something messy (i.e. Deee-Lite's political 'vote for _' propaganda, Mars throwing a falsely-cancelled friend under the bus, a good chunk of the PRISM and Witness eras) then I'll usually acknowledge it or avoid specifically defending it. I expect others to do the exact same with their faves and I get annoyed when they don't, as seen many a times here on FOTPForums.net.

I'd like to think I only ever go into stan war mode / attacking people for purely-music-based opinions as a joke, but someone will probably try to refute that chi1

26 minutes ago, Madame X said:

This isn't a gay thing anymore, i have seen many straight people being obsessed with their fave rappers etc. sha1 Let's not also forget how rock fans are dragging and being hateful when they talk about pop singers since... ever. sha1

No one cares about straight stans, gays are the most powerful and have the biggest influence. 

I “stan” only in the sense that Madonna and Florence and Jonna Lee e.g. have made tons of music that I rely on almost daily and I follow their careers, but I don’t defend them or lionize any artist without trying to be objective. And oftentimes my faves are the ones I’m the most critical of because I hold them to a high standard.

In that regard, I agree with the OP and don’t really participate in stan culture at all. It reminds me of being messy when I was a teenager and being inordinately obsessed with certain artists the way stan Twitter is. Whether you’re young or not, that kind of behavior is useless and unhealthy.

43 minutes ago, Madame X said:

omg whenever im on the downloads forum i'm on (centered around rock/metal/etc) they usually trash any pop record posted sha1 

the only positive feedback to a pop record on that site is the new Jonas Brothers album sha1 

they hated Thank U Next, Sweetener, ME!, etc. sha1 

1 minute ago, Chris Morlock said:

omg whenever im on the downloads forum i'm on (centered around rock/metal/etc) they usually trash any pop record posted sha1 

the only positive feedback to a pop record on that site is the new Jonas Brothers album sha1 

they hated Thank U Next, Sweetener, ME!, etc. sha1 

Are we really shocked that the disdain for ME! expands past the gay community? sha1

59 minutes ago, Madame X said:

This isn't a gay thing anymore, i have seen many straight people being obsessed with their fave rappers etc. sha1

i mean a straight guy invented the termchi1

1 hour ago, Madame X said:

Rock fans actually bother me sometimes. So many of them come off as big headed and act as if anything that's not a rock song from between 1966 and 1986 is crap. I also hear lots of sexism from them against female singers. 

Is any of this truly as bad as that ATRL member that broke their leg to be like Jessie J, and she upped her security because she was scared of said stan

51 minutes ago, Hylia said:

Is any of this truly as bad as that ATRL member that broke their leg to be like Jessie J, and she upped her security because she was scared of said stan

Are you trying to address me?

1 hour ago, Winnie. said:

I’m literally waiting at our table. I got a booth just like you like, cause your scoliosis messes with your back. 

How kind of you to remember, but I said “I’ll be late, I just need to finish my research paper on phagocytosis,” not “I have scoliosis”

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.