Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

RepuTAYtion

Hollywood Reporter Destroys Madge

Holy shit.. I was going to give Madame X a few streams tonight and decided to look up some reviews. This was the first one that came up wendy1

I don’t know If I ever read such a scathing review for an album ari11

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/madonna-madame-x-album-review-1218535

A quick snippet: hay1

The icon’s new album finds her appropriating a variety of cultures and influences to fatally clunky — and musically unappealing — effect.

Madonna is back with a true head-scratcher in Madame X, her 14th album, rounding out her fourth decade as a pop star. Musically, it’s a mess and represents her trying to meld the sounds of Lisbon, Portugal, her home the past several years, with influences as far-flung as Latin, trap, disco and seemingly any other cultural trinket she picked up at World Market. It also features some of the stupidest lyrics you’re likely to hear this year.

The net experience is like hanging out with your aunt who’s trying to impress you by doing ecstasy, telling you about her sex life and pretending she’s woke. Basically: what no human wants to hear right now.

Without reading the article in full the paragraph you've posted sort of makes sense. There's a few songs on it i like but as a whole body of work it's messy. 

It's even more confusing when you have a brilliant song like Crave which just sounds out of place. I like God Control, but i don't think the second half is appropriate given the lyrical content of the first half at all. As for Dark Ballet oprah3

oh here comes the ‘appropriating’ word that the media and fans alike dish out to look fucking woke. whoever gave this degenerate a journalism job needs firing because this is garbage

19 minutes ago, Liam said:

oh here comes the ‘appropriating’ word that the media and fans alike dish out to look fucking woke. whoever gave this degenerate a journalism job needs firing because this is garbage

big mood. this shit is SO annoying

29 minutes ago, Liam said:

You need to realize that for years, white artists have been able to freely slip in and out of cultures whenever it's convenient to them (as seen by Jennifer Lopez singing the N-word once despite not being anywhere near black, Ariana successfully pretending to be black, Miley Cyrus' Bangerz phase and comment about why she left hip hop, etc.), and it's not exactly okay in a lot of cases, in my opinion as a white Gen-Z. And it's completely fair game if someone wants to call Madonna out for doing that, since that's absolutely something she's done. 

And if you think that it's cultural appreciation or irrelevant or whatever, we can totally move on to having more conversations about her desperation to appeal to children with her dabbles in PC Music and hip-hop, or the time she wrote in her SEX book about her fantasy to have intercourse with a prepubescent child, or when she used an alleged 40+ year old rape story as an unapologetic excuse for her to be comparing minor inconveniences to rape etc. 

brit1

3 minutes ago, Venom said:

You need to realize that for years, white artists have been able to freely slip in and out of cultures whenever it's convenient to them (as seen by Jennifer Lopez singing the N-word once despite not being anywhere near black, Ariana successfully pretending to be black, Miley Cyrus' Bangerz phase and comment about why she left hip hop, etc.), and it's not exactly okay in a lot of cases, in my opinion as a white Gen-Z. And it's completely fair game if someone wants to call Madonna out for doing that, since that's absolutely something she's done. 

And if you think that it's cultural appreciation or irrelevant or whatever, we can totally move on to having more conversations about her desperation to appeal to children with her dabbles in PC Music and hip-hop, or the time she wrote in her SEX book about her fantasy to have intercourse with a prepubescent child, or when she used an alleged 40+ year old rape story as an unapologetic excuse for her to be comparing minor inconveniences to rape etc. 

brit1

theres a clear distinction between appropriation and appreciation. you and this shit journalist are clearly unaware of that distinction. Madonna has LITERALLY lived in Portugal for years. she has been immersed in their culture and their community. alot of the sounds on the record come from working with local artists? its not like she was in her Manhattan apartment deciding Latin was the way to go

as for the rest of ur post its clear u have no intention of calling out any appropriation. this is just a bait thread looking for reactions. how very sad for you but continue to preach this SJW woke shit that is disrespecting real ISSUES of cultural appropriation in this world

It's a valid critique but at the same time Madonna slips in and out of different "Western" musical genres as well and actively comments on why she's attracted to these different forms of expression, as well as cultures, in her own lyrics kylie3 That's very different from just copying a musical sound and making it about your boyfriend or whatever.

1 minute ago, Liam said:

Madonna has LITERALLY lived in Portugal for years. she has been immersed in their culture and their community. alot of the sounds on the record come from working with local artists? its not like she was in her Manhattan apartment deciding Latin was the way to go 

And this >

She's always been quite respectful imo and she's invited so many "ethnic" artists even in her own tours already gaga6 It's beyond obvious at this point that she borrows from different cultures on purpose (and with on purpose I mean that it's visible and instantly noticeable that she's referring to a non-Western context instead of trying to take an element and integrate it into an essentially Western visual package/message), not just to introduce these sounds and themes to her audience (that already sets her apart from "appropriating" artists who don't care about that) but also because she's genuinely interested in them and sees something of herself in them oprah11 That makes it part of her deliberate artistry and not a semi-intentional appropriation. This is her vision, not someone else's vision which is being abused. Important differences imo.

"Madonna tries to look woke"  *uses the most used phrase of the SJWs the last 2 years: "appropriating a variety of cultures"*

If Hollywood Reporter says it, it must be true.

lol3

28 minutes ago, Venom said:

brit1

Get out of your house and breath fresh air.

Again the ageism that shames her for having sex. Are 60 year old not allowed to have sex and talk about it? It's not like women that age just stop, they just keep it under wraps. So I guess Madonna talking about sex at 60 is disgusting when there was no problem when she was doing it in her 20s and 30s.

I feel like all of the influences in this album were done tastefully. Even the sex talk that people complain so much about. It's the fact that she lived in Portugal for years that makes it more authentic and it feels like she brings her personal experiences into the music. It's not like she's never set foot in a Latin country before and randomly decides to make Latin music just to hop on the trend. If she hadn't lived in Portugal it would have maybe been a problem. 

Also she's been trying to be woke since at least 2003 if not her whole career long before it was cool so idk why it is a problem now.

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Sis do your research before posting. That was Ashanti's vocals in that part most of the song, hence why the N-Word was kept in. The singer who's name is on the CD cover never actually said those words. 

4 hours ago, Venom said:

brit1

The best thing about art is contamination between different cultures imo. Without what you call "cultural appropriation" we would not had albums like ROL.

And no, you are wrong about the Sex book. Puberty already kicked in for the boy Madonna is writing about. First of all, that boy got some pubes (prepubescent boys don't have pubes at all); second of all, that boy was kicked out from his home by his parents (his parents thought that he was big enough to live by himself); third of all, that boy was a teenager and that extends up to 19 y.o. To sum up, that boy is deffo between 15 and 19 y.o. Madonna is a mom of 6 kids and she's doing a great job. Have several seats, plz.

5 minutes ago, The One Beyond All said:

The best thing about art is contamination between different cultures imo. And no, you are wrong about the Sex book. Puberty already kicked in for the boy Madonna is writing about. First of all, that boy got some pubes (prepubelescent boys don't have pubes at all); second of all, that boy was kicked out from his home by his parents (his parents tho that he was big enough to live by himself); third of all, that boy was a teenager and that extends up to 19 y.o. To sum up, that boy is deffo between 15 and 19 y.o. Madonna is a mom of 6 kids and she's doing a great job. Have several seats, plz.

She emphasized that he was young, inexperienced and had 'barely any' pubic hair (a description that fits for people as early as 11); and also, you're a legal adult at 18 wendy1

Just now, Venom said:

She emphasized that he was young, inexperienced and had 'barely any' pubic hair (a description that fits for people as early as 11); and also, you're a legal adult at 18 wendy1

I've dated men that were well above 30 with barely any pubic hair or beard growing on their chin. 

dead2 That damn story is being twisted so many times and it isn't a fucking real-life account. In the story Madge was in her early 20s and the boy 16-18. There are real-life couples where the man is somewhere in his early 20s and the girl is in high school and in most parts of the world that is perfectly legal. This can hardly be seen as pedophilia but keep reaching.

10 minutes ago, Venom said:

You are legal at 14 y.o. in my country. Anyway, even a 18 y.o boy looks very young on the eyes of a 20-ish girl. Girls just grow up faster than boys so it is understandable Madonna's reaction. However, she says that the boy was living by himself and that is quite strong indication that he was not that young. Since the age is not explicity specified, it is up to the intelligence of the reader to get the boy's age. Finally, at 16 y.o. you got "barely any pubes", trust me. At 11 y.o. most boys don't have pubes at all wendy1

6 minutes ago, The One Beyond All said:

You are legal at 14 y.o. in my country. Anyway, even a 18 y.o boy looks very young on the eyes of a 20-ish girl. Girls just grow up faster than boys so it is understandable Madonna's reaction. However, she says that the boy was living by himself and that is quite strong indication that he was not that young. Since the age is not explicity specified, it is up to the intelligence of the reader to understand that what Madonna is describing is not pedophilia. Finally, at 16 y.o. you got "barely any pubes", trust me. At 11 y.o. most boys don't have pubes at all wendy1

As an irl 16 year old, this entire post is a mess and I question the validity of 99% of it wendy1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.