Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Venus XCX

Ellen DeGeneres, Ryan Reynolds, RuPaul, Laverne Cox, Ciara, Adam Lambert & more in music video for YNTCD

Something about this makes me less excited. It’s just like.. it’s been done before so many times and by her. She really seems to be out of original ideas or anything creative this era. 

Im excited for all the gay icons.. I just think she’s leaning too heavily into pride as a straight ally 

40 minutes ago, RepuTAYtion said:

Something about this makes me less excited. It’s just like.. it’s been done before so many times and by her. She really seems to be out of original ideas or anything creative this era. 

Im excited for all the gay icons.. I just think she’s leaning too heavily into pride as a straight ally 

I agree. I finally started to like her after Reputation because she did something so drastically different, but after that she did a complete 180 and it's like she's regressed.

This new song alone includes:

• snake references
  • lyrics about haters
  • a music video with celebrity cameos
  • piggybacking onto a social cause

We've seen all of this before...it's almost like a caricature of her past songs (Mean, Blank Space, and Bad Blood to name a few), which she pulled off much better.

*Before anyone downvotes, this is legit criticism from someone who casually listens to Taylor and wants to like her.*

1 hour ago, RepuTAYtion said:

23 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I agree. I finally started to like her after Reputation because she did something so drastically different, but after that she did a complete 180 and it's like she's regressed.

• snake references
  • lyrics about haters

We've seen all of this before...it's almost like a caricature of her past eras, which she pulled off much better.

*Before anyone downvotes, this is legit criticism from someone who casually listens to Taylor and wants to like her.*

For years ya'll were accusing Taylor of staying silent on political issues to avoid alienating her Republican fanbase, or even of being a Trump supporter herself. Now she's finally dedicating a single to LGBT support and suddenly she's "leaning too heavily into pride" ...  I disagree tbh aretha1 

31 minutes ago, fab said:

For years ya'll were accusing Taylor of staying silent on political issues to avoid alienating her Republican fanbase, or even of being a Trump supporter herself. Now she's finally dedicating a single to LGBT support and suddenly she's "leaning too heavily into pride" ...  I disagree tbh aretha1 

And if we don’t like the way she executes the idea we’re allowed to state that. No need to get defensive; no art is above or exempt from criticism. 

(I had to wait 5 minutes for this thread to load, only for the post box to be greyed out and non-clickable, which meant i had to refresh. What the actual FUCK lol3)

I'm excited for this (esp Ciara cameo, a Fergie MILF mv tea) but

1 hour ago, RepuTAYtion said:

lowkey feeling this too :/

52 minutes ago, Hermione said:

And if we don’t like the way she executes the idea we’re allowed to state that. No need to get defensive; no art is above or exempt from criticism. 

I never said that you shouldn't voice your opinion, I just stated that I disagree bey8   

2 hours ago, RepuTAYtion said:

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

• snake references
  • lyrics about haters

We've seen all of this before...it's almost like a caricature of her past songs (Mean, Blank Space, and Bad Blood to name a few), which she pulled off much better.

I think both of you made some points, it’s hard to express my feelings I guess. I like this song but it doesn’t feel new or fresh (the chorus is literally TIWWCHNT 2.0) and I just don’t know if this is the right song for her. I wanted a more mature era again, like I always knew the next album would be the light to reputation’s dark aesthetic but she could’ve done that with something more mature. 

As for the social causes stuff, I definitely think she’s being genuine. She’s trying her best to actually put forth an effort now that she’s educated herself on politics more, exposed herself to more people outside of the straight white people she grew up with etc.... I’m really irked that gays are bashing her still (not y’all, but the ones who are literally taking fake news that wasn’t even true to discredit all she’s done recently and even years ago ie donating to help save Stonewall Inn/upkeep). However, I wish she didn’t bring this into her music. This song is cute and lots of fans say it makes them feel good, so I’m glad. But the petition, her donations, and just speaking on issues concerning LGBTQ+ was enough and she could’ve done without trying to make a song about it. Like I said, I still think she’s being genuine but this song does make it feel slightly less genuine. At least she’s not trying to promote it everywhere I guess, seeing as she performed SIO at Stonewall instead (only bc her friend invited her) and still has the petition link in her bio instead of this song. That says a lot to me.... but yeah idk, it’s a tough issue to perfectly address when you’re just an ally and not apart of the community (at least as far as we know she isn’t bi).

There’s definitely a disconnect between her music and the GP this time and it’s her own fault. I really hope her next single isn’t dealing with a social cause, or her public image... these songs have become sort of redundant since ME! and even sorta YNTCD are her 263916th attempt at this trope. Just my thoughts about all of this.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.