Sign in to follow this  

Tales of the City

Aidan. 55,679

250px-Tales_of_the_City_(2019_miniseries

Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City is an American drama web television miniseries that premiered on June 7, 2019, on Netflix. It is based on Tales of the City novel series by Armistead Maupin. Laura Linney, Paul Gross, Olympia Dukakis, and Barbara Garrick reprise their roles from previous miniseries based on Maupin's books.

A not-so-new Netflix limited series with 10 episodes based around LGBT characters and life in San Francisco

This installment was preceded by three other limited series based around many of the same characters (and actors)

Tales of the City (1993) - 6 episodes

More Tales of the City (1998) - 6 episodes

Further Tales of the City (2001) - 4 episodes

The original begins in 1976 and the new one is set in what is assumed to be the present day (I noticed some continuity errors when watching the 1993 installment comparing it with the current one but thats not overly important - It was in regards to peoples ages in the show)

Anyway - This is a lovely warm show that gave me that fuzzy feeling though at time it borders on fantasy

It also addresses some important issues (transphobia within the LGBT community for example) - Highly recommended!!!

Quill 9,820

I started watching this show a few days ago and I absolutely love it. I definitely want to try to watch the others once I get through with this one. However, apparently it's difficult to find any of them online? Kinda strange Netflix didn't aquire the rights to put the others on their platform when they, for lack of a better word, rebooted it. dead2

Aidan. 55,679
21 minutes ago, Quill said:

I started watching this show a few days ago and I absolutely love it. I definitely want to try to watch the others once I get through with this one. However, apparently it's difficult to find any of them online? Kinda strange Netflix didn't aquire the rights to put the others on their platform when they, for lack of a better word, rebooted it. dead2

Apparently the original 1993 one is coming to Netflix at the end of the month in North America and most other places (As well as the others in some regions - But not North America)

However - I found the entire series on YouTube dead2 The picture is slightly cut off at the bottom but otherwise no issue and the picture is acceptable dead2

Quill 9,820
1 hour ago, Aidan. said:

Apparently the original 1993 one is coming to Netflix at the end of the month in North America and most other places (As well as the others in some regions - But not North America)

However - I found the entire series on YouTube dead2 The picture is slightly cut off at the bottom but otherwise no issue and the picture is acceptable dead2

It probably has to do with the fact that Hulu once had all the seasons on there a while back. I'm assuming they could only get the licensing rights for the 1993 version but not the others to put in North America. Either way, that sucks. orangu1

Well that's a relief. I'll check the other ones out once the 1993 one is out on Netflix.