Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Aidan.

Paper Mag Interview - Kylie Minogue's 30 Years of Pop Perfection (Mentions Impossible Princess, Kiss Me Once, Chocolate, an Anti Tour two, and more)

The best pop music is a little bit emotionally manipulative, and Kylie Minogue knows it. Her parasitic signature single, 2001's "Can't Get You Out of My Head," is designed to stick permanently after just a single listen. A crush, its lyrics theorize, is much like an earworm — both can drive you absolutely crazy. Pleasure brings pain, or maybe the other way around.

Kylie's dark side has always been easy enough for casual listeners to ignore, but her angelic features (she's an ex-soap opera star, after all) and whisper sweet vocals belie what fans recognize as a trademark pathos. As her new compilation Step Back In Time reveals, the Australian musician has made a long and successful career of mixing light and shade. During her early years, when she sometimes struggled to define a coherent post-television career, the singer's most memorable songs argued for good girl gone bad status: "Better the Devil You Know," Nick Cave duet "Where the Wild Roses Grow," and the transcendental, eternally underrated trip hop track "Confide In Me."

Then came the noughties, where she found her niche. Between 2000 and 2003 Kylie released Light Years, Fever, and Body Language — three era-defining albums filled with disco songs about lust and longing in the club, distractingly catchy but often hinging on that sad 2 AM feeling that the dancing will end, the sun will come out, and we'll all have to go home alone. Her songs of this era are relentless, leaving no prisoners: there's the new millennium fantasy of "On a Night Like This," the pure meetcute ecstasy of "Love at First Sight," and the masterful looping composition of "Come Into My World," with its clever Michel Gondry music video. Plus the unapologetic lay-it-all-out-on-the-table sexuality of "Red Blooded Woman" and "Slow." Her 2004 greatest hits record Ultimate Kylie yielded two new classics: "I Believe in You" and "Giving You Up."

Lots lots more here - http://www.papermag.com/kylie-minogue-step-back-in-time-2638921270.html

I mean I would have loved to sing something like Impossible Princess again on tour, but there is increasingly less room to do songs that weren't hits.”

Maybe she could stop singing Spinning Around or Love at First Sight for the 9,000,000 if this is something she’d like to do. gaga2 Just a suggestion! (Good article, though.)

16 minutes ago, kminogues said:

I mean I would have loved to sing something like Impossible Princess again on tour, but there is increasingly less room to do songs that weren't hits.”

Maybe she could stop singing Spinning Around or Love at First Sight for the 9,000,000 if this is something she’d like to do. gaga2 Just a suggestion! (Good article, though.)

She at last deleted Wow cry6

Why do they say that Calvin Harris produced X when he only produced In My Arms? nicki5

Oh he also produced Heart Beat Rock, but I forgot about that as anyone should eve1 Still, 2/13 songs (and god knows how many more demos) shouldn't merit that line.

12 minutes ago, Light Years said:

Why do they say that Calvin Harris produced X

They should add (He also produced Too Much on Aphrodite which was her following album so close enough) at the end nicki5

2 hours ago, Aidan. said:

She at last deleted Wow cry6

She said “justice for Chocolate”! It’s not Cowboy Style, but it’ll do. cry7 She better deliver and retire some of these (tired) hits. I don’t expect her to do it for this tour since it’s all about the hits, but next time around, she better come through. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.