Jump to content

Madonna: No [pop star] takes the risks that I take

Recommended Posts

Venus XCX    9,230
Quote

 

Interviewer: Is there another artist along with you who is also fighting for freedom?

Madonna: *ten second pause* No. Not to the degree that I am. I've stuck my neck out that's for sure. I think artists of the past, but MEN, like John Lennon, for instance, he was very political, freedom fighter, Bob Marley, Nina Simone, but these people are no longer with us. Right now I can't think of anybody that's does what I do, or takes the risks that I take.

 

Is it true? Was Lady Gaga's Born This Way agenda nothing? Beyonce's Lemonade a waste of time? Or is Madonna being her usual pretentious self?

200.gif 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Venom    6,027

I guess she doesn't have an internet connection back in Lisbon & didn't hear about Taylor's single

200.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Venus XCX    9,230
Just now, Venom said:

I guess she doesn't have an internet connection back in Lisbon & didn't hear about Taylor's single

200.gif

Groundbreaking? No. Risky given her republican audience and sudden focus on politics? Yes.

200.gif 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agent X    6,860

I am not saying she is right, but empowering songs aren't the same as very political stuff she did currently on Madame X.  She called out the government and all the shit. And this isn't the first time Madonna is political. When she did that in 2003, America turned its back on her. Also, she was political on her tours since then.

BTW is pretty much an empowering song. Lemonde was all about freedom and rights of black people, unless I missed some other things. It is great what they did, but I don't think it was risky. Gaga and Beyonce weren't in a situation where people could have told them they were full of shit. If they did, those people would have come out as racists, homophobes or whatever. 

Madonna is already a laughingstock. Yes, her new political lyrics are messy on certain songs, but it seems critics wished she didn't do them at all. jj3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Venus XCX    9,230
11 minutes ago, ParentalAdvisory said:

But Katy stans told me Witness was the most risky and Edgy era of all time

200.gif

Is it crack? Is it crack they smoke?

200.gif 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Venus XCX    9,230
2 minutes ago, Agent X said:

I am not saying she is right, but empowering songs aren't the same as very political stuff she did currently on Madame X.  She called out the government and all the shit.

And this isn't the first time Madonna is political. When she did that in 2003, America turned its back on her. Also, she was political on her tours since then.

 

BTW is pretty much an empowering song. Lemonde was all about freedom and rights of black people, unless I missed some other things. It is great what they did, but I don't think it was risky. Gaga and Beyonce weren't in a situation where people could have told them they were full of shit. If they did, those people would have come out as racists, homophobes or whatever. 

 

You're right. Who else is singing about gun control? I guess my fave touched on police brutality with Angel Down but the rest of the album was tame and digestible to middle America.

To say Lemonade's visuals and themes weren't risky.. dead7 The controversy was there. I mean she released that as Trump's America was forming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madame X    21,810
21 minutes ago, Venom said:

I guess she doesn't have an internet connection back in Lisbon & didn't hear about Taylor's single

200.gif

I don't want to dissapoint you but that would've been a risk for your career and popularity back at the 80s/90s, not now.

200.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madame X    21,810

Also, are we gonna pretend that Madonna didn't risk her career/popularity many times since the 80s? From Papa Don't Preach, Like a Prayer, Justify My Love, Erotica, American Life etc?

200.gif

A time where not many artists were speaking for things like these?

200.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Venus XCX    9,230
2 minutes ago, Luca said:

Pluto CXC thought he did a thing! 

tumblr_inline_nx230t6qHy1qjskb3_500.gif

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in the flamebait OP do not necessarily reflect the views of Penus XBOX.

200.gif 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Venom    6,027
3 minutes ago, Agent X said:

empowering songs aren't the same as very political stuff she did currently on Madame X.  She called out the government and all the shit.

Gaga and Beyonce weren't in a situation where people could have told them they were full of shit. 

"I met a girl in East LA / In floral shorts as sweet as May / She sang in eights in two Barrio chords / We fell in love / But not in court"
"I will fight for, I have fought for how I love you / I have cried for, I will die for how I care"
"She don't care if your papers or your love is the law / She's a free soul burning roads, with a flag in her bra"
"No matter gay, straight, or bi / Lesbian, transgender life"
"Whenever I start feeling strong / I'm called a bitch in the night / But I don't need these 14 karat guns to win / I am a woman, I insist, it's my life"

Related imageRelated imageImage result for lady gaga bannedImage result for lady gaga protestImage result for lady gaga bannedRelated image

 

200.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kyoteki    8,298

Maybe pre 2010’s, sure!! I mean thats quite fucking obvious and she knows this. But she’s been as vanilla as the rest of these girls post 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goldie    2,943
43 minutes ago, Venom said:

"I met a girl in East LA / In floral shorts as sweet as May / She sang in eights in two Barrio chords / We fell in love / But not in court"
"I will fight for, I have fought for how I love you / I have cried for, I will die for how I care"
"She don't care if your papers or your love is the law / She's a free soul burning roads, with a flag in her bra"
"No matter gay, straight, or bi / Lesbian, transgender life"
"Whenever I start feeling strong / I'm called a bitch in the night / But I don't need these 14 karat guns to win / I am a woman, I insist, it's my life"

Related imageRelated imageImage result for lady gaga bannedImage result for lady gaga protestImage result for lady gaga bannedRelated image

 

200.gif

 

Flopga risk: "I was born this way", calls senators

Madonna risk:

 

Yes, "I would die for you" and "No matter gay straight or bi, lesbian transgender life" are just as politically effective as this 200.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HninSi    365

She has to stirr controversy and be exploitative, cos she'd be nowhere without them. But I don't think she is sincere with those stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Browsing now   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×