Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Venus XCX

Madonna: No [pop star] takes the risks that I take

Interviewer: Is there another artist along with you who is also fighting for freedom?

Madonna: *ten second pause* No. Not to the degree that I am. I've stuck my neck out that's for sure. I think artists of the past, but MEN, like John Lennon, for instance, he was very political, freedom fighter, Bob Marley, Nina Simone, but these people are no longer with us. Right now I can't think of anybody that's does what I do, or takes the risks that I take.

Is it true? Was Lady Gaga's Born This Way agenda nothing? Beyonce's Lemonade a waste of time? Or is Madonna being her usual pretentious self?

200.gif 

Just now, Venom said:

I guess she doesn't have an internet connection back in Lisbon & didn't hear about Taylor's single

200.gif

Groundbreaking? No. Risky given her republican audience and sudden focus on politics? Yes.

200.gif 

I am not saying she is right, but empowering songs aren't the same as very political stuff she did currently on Madame X.  She called out the government and all the shit. And this isn't the first time Madonna is political. When she did that in 2003, America turned its back on her. Also, she was political on her tours since then.

BTW is pretty much an empowering song. Lemonde was all about freedom and rights of black people, unless I missed some other things. It is great what they did, but I don't think it was risky. Gaga and Beyonce weren't in a situation where people could have told them they were full of shit. If they did, those people would have come out as racists, homophobes or whatever. 

Madonna is already a laughingstock. Yes, her new political lyrics are messy on certain songs, but it seems critics wished she didn't do them at all. jj3 

2 minutes ago, Agent X said:

I am not saying she is right, but empowering songs aren't the same as very political stuff she did currently on Madame X.  She called out the government and all the shit.

And this isn't the first time Madonna is political. When she did that in 2003, America turned its back on her. Also, she was political on her tours since then.

BTW is pretty much an empowering song. Lemonde was all about freedom and rights of black people, unless I missed some other things. It is great what they did, but I don't think it was risky. Gaga and Beyonce weren't in a situation where people could have told them they were full of shit. If they did, those people would have come out as racists, homophobes or whatever. 

You're right. Who else is singing about gun control? I guess my fave touched on police brutality with Angel Down but the rest of the album was tame and digestible to middle America.

To say Lemonade's visuals and themes weren't risky.. dead7 The controversy was there. I mean she released that as Trump's America was forming.

21 minutes ago, Venom said:

I guess she doesn't have an internet connection back in Lisbon & didn't hear about Taylor's single

200.gif

I don't want to dissapoint you but that would've been a risk for your career and popularity back at the 80s/90s, not now.

200.gif

Also, are we gonna pretend that Madonna didn't risk her career/popularity many times since the 80s? From Papa Don't Preach, Like a Prayer, Justify My Love, Erotica, American Life etc?

200.gif

A time where not many artists were speaking for things like these?

200.gif

3 minutes ago, Agent X said:

empowering songs aren't the same as very political stuff she did currently on Madame X.  She called out the government and all the shit.

Gaga and Beyonce weren't in a situation where people could have told them they were full of shit. 

"I met a girl in East LA / In floral shorts as sweet as May / She sang in eights in two Barrio chords / We fell in love / But not in court"
"I will fight for, I have fought for how I love you / I have cried for, I will die for how I care"
"She don't care if your papers or your love is the law / She's a free soul burning roads, with a flag in her bra"
"No matter gay, straight, or bi / Lesbian, transgender life"
"Whenever I start feeling strong / I'm called a bitch in the night / But I don't need these 14 karat guns to win / I am a woman, I insist, it's my life"

Related imageRelated imageImage result for lady gaga bannedImage result for lady gaga protestImage result for lady gaga bannedRelated image

200.gif

43 minutes ago, Venom said:

"I met a girl in East LA / In floral shorts as sweet as May / She sang in eights in two Barrio chords / We fell in love / But not in court"
"I will fight for, I have fought for how I love you / I have cried for, I will die for how I care"
"She don't care if your papers or your love is the law / She's a free soul burning roads, with a flag in her bra"
"No matter gay, straight, or bi / Lesbian, transgender life"
"Whenever I start feeling strong / I'm called a bitch in the night / But I don't need these 14 karat guns to win / I am a woman, I insist, it's my life"

Related imageRelated imageImage result for lady gaga bannedImage result for lady gaga protestImage result for lady gaga bannedRelated image

200.gif

Flopga risk: "I was born this way", calls senators

Madonna risk:

Yes, "I would die for you" and "No matter gay straight or bi, lesbian transgender life" are just as politically effective as this 200.gif

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.