Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

Toys R Us comes back from the dead (in the U.S.)

Maybe American kids will only have to live through one Christmas without Toys “R” Us.

About a year after shuttering U.S. operations, the remnant of the defunct toy chain is set to return this holiday season by opening about a half dozen U.S. stores and an e-commerce site, according to people familiar with the matter.

Richard Barry, a former Toys “R” Us executive who is now CEO of new entity Tru Kids Inc., has been pitching his vision to reincarnate the chain to toymakers, including at an industry conference this week, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans aren’t public.

The stores are slated to be about 10,000-square feet, roughly a third of the size of the brand’s big-box outlets that closed last year, the people said. The locations will also have more experiences, like play areas. The startup costs could be minimized with a consignment inventory model in which toymakers ship goods but don’t get paid until consumers buy them, some of the people said.

A spokeswoman for Tru Kids said the company wasn’t ready to publicly share details on its U.S. strategy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-21/toys-r-us-back-from-the-dead-will-open-u-s-stores-in-2019

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Stores shouldn’t get a second chance just bc of nostalgia. If you fail you fail end of story. This is a waste of their time. 

it cant be for nostalgia, its been out of business for a year. mad5 

I guess...I hope whatever works out for him and his toy company works out well someday. Its sad cause it used to be place I used to walk into years ago when I was a kid. Now its typically nothing tho lol. 

11 hours ago, Shane said:

Stores shouldn’t get a second chance just bc of nostalgia. If you fail you fail end of story. This is a waste of their time. 

9 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

it cant be for nostalgia, its been out of business for a year. mad5 

I sort of agree little or partly since if u go out of business, u go out of business, and I think Shane means is u need to move forward and don't have stick memories all the time. Because then you and your mind aren't going to be too focused anymore when your stuck on past.

Or at least make something better than toys r us (don't make it exactly like it either) imo. 

2 hours ago, Life13swift said:

I guess...I hope whatever works out for him and his toy company works out well someday. Its sad cause it used to be place I used to walk into years ago when I was a kid. Now its typically nothing tho lol. 

I sort of agree little or partly since if u go out of business, u go out of business, and I think Shane means is u need to move forward and don't have stick memories all the time. Because then you and your mind aren't going to be too focused anymore when your stuck on past.

Or at least make something better than toys r us (don't make it exactly like it either) imo. 

I agree!

To reword myself a bit on the nostalgia thing: I think they’re only considering a relaunch bc of all the hype they got over the initial closing announcement. People were sad to see their favorite toy store go. Will they shop there again if it reopens? Nope! 

25 minutes ago, Shane said:

I agree!

To reword myself a bit on the nostalgia thing: I think they’re only considering a relaunch bc of all the hype they got over the initial closing announcement. People were sad to see their favorite toy store go. Will they shop there again if it reopens? Nope! 

As long as maker exec is doing better with his career now than before instead of it being just toys r us relater then yes. I feel like I sort of had feeling people didn't want shop there anymore. Same thing to Kmart (Idk about 1 of the ones I visit sometimes) but most of those are gone from most cities here..only very few left :( I think 

11 hours ago, Life13swift said:

As long as maker exec is doing better with his career now than before instead of it being just toys r us relater then yes. I feel like I sort of had feeling people didn't want shop there anymore. Same thing to Kmart (Idk about 1 of the ones I visit sometimes) but most of those are gone from most cities here..only very few left :( I think 

Same here! I don’t think there’s been a KMart in Boston in so long. Even in surrounding areas they’re disappearing. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.