Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

jrdn

Did Girls Aloud produce better music than the Spice Girls?

I wasn't too sure if i wanted to post this in BG's, anyway.

So with this thread i wanted to do something a little different, no i'm not attacking the Spice Girls or their music as i appreciate quite a fair chunk of it.

But would you agree with me that success aside Girls Aloud produced better music than the Spice Girls. I used to listen to Girls Aloud when i was younger, but i recently got back in to their music again and it made me really appreciate some of the bops they put out. In my view their music was more diverse and has aged much better and the likes of the Spice Girls.

I'll post a few examples of their music in the spoiler in chronological order. If you're not from the UK then you probably won't have heard most of these songs, however perhaps it could be a new discovery for you.

Spoiler

Opinions?... 

The Promise, Call The Shots and especially Something New are particular favourites of mine. Tbh Something New was probably their best single.

Just now, trashbanjo said:

Nobrit8

You replied far too quick to have actually read the thread and heard any of those songs... Remember i'm not talking in terms of success as clearly the Spice Girls had much more impact. 

Just now, I Brings That Levity said:

You replied far too quick to have actually read the thread and heard any of those songs... Remember i'm not talking in terms of success as clearly the Spice Girls had much more impact. 

I know. I'm just biased asf... I've never been a fan.jj2

2 minutes ago, trashbanjo said:

I know. I'm just biased asf... I've never been a fan.jj2

To be honest i was expecting a reply like that so i can't really moan. 

3 minutes ago, Ariana said:

It's like asking if Fifth Harmony produced better music than Little Mix jj4

That being said, they had quite a few bops but this is still a reach kylie1

It's really not though, you're missing my point. I'm not talking about impact or sales, i'm talking about the quality of music itself. 

Although i'm sure 85% of this inactive forum will disagree with me, however it seems people elsewhere tend to agree that when it comes to UK Girl Groups the Spice Girls had the impact and charisma, Girl Aloud had the best music and Little Mix had the best vocals. I don't consider it a reach in any regard. 

You still hear much more Girls Aloud songs on the radio too, the whole reason i got back in to them was because Call The Shots came on at a local pub and literally everyone knew the words and was singing shouting along. 

To me, Girls Aloud and the Spice Girls were two very different types of pop girl groups, from two directly different eras. I enjoy both of their discographies for what they bring. The Spice Girls had the late '90s and early '00s advantage to their music. Girls Aloud's music came at a time when it was different for pop girl groups, but they did incredibly well. Both I don't think I could choose one over the other.

Though, Vevo gotta until Girls Aloud's music videos, ASAP!

Girls Aloud have some bops, but IMO, their music is nowhere near as classic or as timeless as the Spice Girls. Was their sound more modern? Sure, and that might appeal more to some, but they just don’t hold a candle to the SG. They don’t even hold a flicker to them. 

4 minutes ago, Americunt said:

Xenomania's production and writing work for Girls Aloud was straight up groundbreaking. I don't think the Spice Girls' discography has aged nearly as well, in comparison.

Thank god. yas1 Someone who at least to some degree understands the point in what i was saying. 

Right so there are two factors here. 

1)the spice girls only released 2.5 albums (I'm not counting forever as a full album as it was kinda abandoned despite being a flawless record. Rip) 

Every single song was fucking epic. There is not a single song in their 90s releases that wasn't perfection. They performed all but 1 song of their discography which shows how solid their efforts were and the fact that their recent smash tour was about 45/50%album tracks proved that. 

2)you can't have any discussion about their music or compare them with GA without talking about their global impact. They were bigger and better in every single way. And their success and discography go hand in hand

GA had some amazing tracks but their albums had a lot of filler and their writing credits speak for themselves. 

You didn't need to compare them at all. A more realistic reach would've been a GA. Vs LM thread ny12

It yes for me 

Spice Girls we’re always more like just there even with huge success and possibly impact

Girls Aloud have delivered much better music in terms of quality. 

Little Mix is more like SG wannabe.

Apart from Wannabe, Mama, Spice Up Your Life and Viva Forever I don’t know other songs 

Ive been following GA since first album and looking forward for next album or GH

Geri’s albums were more impressive in terms of quality or Emma’s Maybe than anything from SG

and that’s my honest opinion

6 hours ago, Emperor Nick said:

1)the spice girls only released 2.5 albums (I'm not counting forever as a full album as it was kinda abandoned despite being a flawless record. Rip) 

Every single song was fucking epic. There is not a single song in their 90s releases that wasn't perfection. They performed all but 1 song of their discography which shows how solid their efforts were and the fact that their recent smash tour was about 45/50%album tracks proved that. 

2)you can't have any discussion about their music or compare them with GA without talking about their global impact. They were bigger and better in every single way. And their success and discography go hand in hand

GA had some amazing tracks but their albums had a lot of filler and their writing credits speak for themselves. 

You didn't need to compare them at all. A more realistic reach would've been a GA. Vs LM thread ny12

1) that's a fair point that i was thinking of at the time of posting. I totally disagree that ever song was good. 2 Become 1 and Stop in particularly are just corny and cringy now. Wannabe is fine, but the rest of their singles are mostly forgotten. 

2) this thread is about the quality of the music, not level of success and impact. Even then if you're talking about their home country (UK) then Girl's Aloud were much more successful (partially because they lasted longer). 

I disagree, it's not a reach. I'm comparing the music, not the success. I don't know any LM songs besides that shout at my eggs one, so it would be pointless of me making a thread, 

25 minutes ago, isrobi said:

It yes for me 

Spice Girls we’re always more like just there even with huge success and possibly impact

Girls Aloud have delivered much better music in terms of quality. 

Little Mix is more like SG wannabe.

Apart from Wannabe, Mama, Spice Up Your Life and Viva Forever I don’t know other songs 

Ive been following GA since first album and looking forward for next album or GH

Geri’s albums were more impressive in terms of quality or Emma’s Maybe than anything from SG

and that’s my honest opinion

Well she didn't lie. yas1

Honestly Girls Aloud have always been my favourite band. Each member brought something unique to the group and nobody got pushed into the background unlike other bands such as Destiny's Child and Pussycat Dolls. Those bands chose to focus on one member in particular whereas in Girls Aloud everybody got their fair share of the spotlight and although Nadine got most of the vocals on their albums, when it came to public appearances and tours each member got their chance to shine. And lets not forget their massively underrated bops.

6 hours ago, Emperor Nick said:

This cry6 though I do admit GA has some bops also Forever the album slays

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.