Did Girls Aloud produce better music than the Spice Girls?

Beyoncé    678

How are some of ya’ll in here saying Forever is their best album when it’s their worsteve1 everything went to shit after Geri left

I would happily do a track by track review for you if you would like further proof on why it’s their worst albumkylie5

Beyoncé    678
8 hours ago, Emperor Nick said:

They performed all but 1 song of their discography

But they didn’t brit15

NoFraudzzz    2,385

Something Kinda Ooh, Sound of the underground, and love Machine all SHIT on the spice girls

4 hours ago, Beyoncé said:

How are some of ya’ll in here saying Forever is their best album when it’s their worsteve1 everything went to shit after Geri left

I would happily do a track by track review for you if you would like further proof on why it’s their worst albumkylie5

Holler was a bop, but it was very run of the mill for the time. 

22 minutes ago, Craigg said:

Something Kinda Ooh, Sound of the underground, and love Machine all SHIT on the spice girls

The thing with GA is that most of their songs while sounding similar to other releases at the time (Same applies to all songs released by Pop acts to be fair) their music had something unique and different to offer. They very often were well ahead of everyone else.  

Something New has Pop, Rap, EDM and Rock elements combined in to one. 

The Promise is a real throwback type of song, if the arrangement was ever so slightly different you could easily be fooled in to thinking it was released in the 60s.

Call The Shots is like a shot (excuse the pun) it's intense from the very first second right to the end, every line has a hook, the chorus is just simply iconic, everyone knows the chrous to it and can shout along. 

Can't Speak French is another throwback-esque song, but again has a modern feel at the same time. Again another iconic unforgettable chorus and in general a song that sounded different to everything at the time.

Love Machine needs no explanation. 

Something Kinda Ooh is by far the most addictive song. It has a real hidden vibe 80s,there's also elements of late 90s/early 00s, but again it doesn't sound dated and sounded nothing like any other single at that point. It actually somewhat of reminds me of Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics

Their songs literally have aged like wine and were ahead of their time.

Emperor Nick    3,168
13 hours ago, Beyoncé said:

But they didn’t brit15

Ignoring forever and bsides yes they did ny1 last time lover was never performed

NoFraudzzz    2,385
9 hours ago, I Brings That Levity said:

Holler was a bop, but it was very run of the mill for the time. 

The thing with GA is that most of their songs while sounding similar to other releases at the time (Same applies to all songs released by Pop acts to be fair) their music had something unique and different to offer. They very often were well ahead of everyone else.  

Something New has Pop, Rap, EDM and Rock elements combined in to one. 

The Promise is a real throwback type of song, if the arrangement was ever so slightly different you could easily be fooled in to thinking it was released in the 60s.

Call The Shots is like a shot (excuse the pun) it's intense from the very first second right to the end, every line has a hook, the chorus is just simply iconic, everyone knows the chrous to it and can shout along. 

Can't Speak French is another throwback-esque song, but again has a modern feel at the same time. Again another iconic unforgettable chorus and in general a song that sounded different to everything at the time.

Love Machine needs no explanation. 

Something Kinda Ooh is by far the most addictive song. It has a real hidden vibe 80s,there's also elements of late 90s/early 00s, but again it doesn't sound dated and sounded nothing like any other single at that point. It actually somewhat of reminds me of Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics

Their songs literally have aged like wine and were ahead of their time.

Something Kinda Ooh is my favourite GA song

But for me, the best Girl Group from the UK is The Saturdays. Literally they released bop after bop and their songs still have a replay value. I dont like the idea that Little Mix and Girls Aloud were made into groups rather than the natural way that it is done. Both groups appeared on X Factor and Pop Star arrivals (respectively) as individual solo acts and were put into groups at the hands of Simon Cowell. That being said, GA for me had better bops than the Spice Girls and Little Mix. But my favourite girl band is The Saturdays 

Goldie    2,948
14 hours ago, Beyoncé said:

Do it bitch and I will give my rebuttal sass4 I will conveniently leave out Oxygen and Weekend Love tho ny1

14 hours ago, Beyoncé said:

But they didn’t brit15

1 hour ago, Emperor Nick said:

Ignoring forever and bsides yes they did ny1 last time lover was never performed

Exactly sass4 even though I’m pissed that they performed Something Kinda Shitty instead of Last Time Lover or Naked live for the reunion tour (probably geri’s fault since she’s a stuck up mum bitch now)

Emperor Nick    3,168
1 hour ago, Goldie said:

Do it bitch and I will give my rebuttal sass4 I will conveniently leave out Oxygen and Weekend Love tho ny1

Exactly sass4 even though I’m pissed that they performed Something Kinda Shitty instead of Last Time Lover or Naked live for the reunion tour (probably geri’s fault since she’s a stuck up mum bitch now)

Naked.... Nothing but loreal revitalift on her faceeee

4 hours ago, Craigg said:

Something Kinda Ooh is my favourite GA song

But for me, the best Girl Group from the UK is The Saturdays. Literally they released bop after bop and their songs still have a replay value. I dont like the idea that Little Mix and Girls Aloud were made into groups rather than the natural way that it is done. Both groups appeared on X Factor and Pop Star arrivals (respectively) as individual solo acts and were put into groups at the hands of Simon Cowell. That being said, GA for me had better bops than the Spice Girls and Little Mix. But my favourite girl band is The Saturdays 

The Saturday's music was too overproduced for me, although Ego and All Fired Up are bops.  I've never had any interest in Little Mix, quite honestly i prefer a Pick N'Mix. I agree with what you're saying about them being made into groups, however with GA i love the dynamic of the accents, if you listen to any of their songs live Nadine's accent in particular stands out even when singing, you probably wouldn't get such a mix from "naturally" formed groups. 

Beyoncé    678
13 hours ago, Goldie said:

Weekend Love is by far their worst songkylie5 and I’ll do it on this thread because I can’t be bothered to start a new onekylie6

14 hours ago, Emperor Nick said:

True Forever is extremely irrelevant and we don’t need to hear any of the songs live apart from Goodbye

Beyoncé    678

1. Holler - a catchy song with a good beat, sometimes I even think it could be released nowadays if the vocals and production were majorly brushed up, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t listen to it regularlykylie5 I feel like a lot of people hate on it just because it’s from ‘Forever’ but it is a good song. However it does feel like they’re trying a bit too hard to sound like Destiny’s Child but of course failed to rise to their level

2. Tell Me Why - they really tried to make a diss track on Geri Halliwell eve1 the production sounds so cheap and their vocals are overly auto tuned, and the worst part is they’re making a diss track on a female which literally contradicts their whole “girl power” statement, a mess rih9 And although I know Geri leaving contradicts that statement too it’s even worse that the girls continued the feud by making a whole shitty song about it. And the lyrics are also really cringey which is a consistent problem throughout the whole album, it’s sounds like it was written in 5 minutes

3. Let Love Lead the Way - OK but who the fuck wrote those lyrics, how they even allowed this be on their album let alone be a single is beyond me, literally I could’ve written this song it’s that mediocre. Geri would’ve never allowed this to happenkylie5 at least the production sounds good

4. Right Back at Ya - this song really confuses me because we’re literally 4 tracks into the album and they suddenly feel the need to announce that this is their “comeback” eve1 with their new, and quite frankly awful, sound when we already knew what was happening. And it’s really immature that they felt the need to throw in “the four of us have grown” just to emphasise the fact that Geri was gone, it’s like they’re pretending she was never there in the first place. And don’t even get me started on Mel B’s rap brit15 The track overall just sounds cheap with its, again, cringey lyrics and bad production, it’s really boring and I skip it whenever it comes on.

5. Get Down with Me - ugh finally another good song on this album,cry6 although it’s probably a ‘Spiceworld’ reject I still love it and think it’s a great song, and a great reminder of how fun they used to be before Geri left. Its such a bop with a fun disco beat and it’s one of the only few songs from the album I voluntarily play the whole way through. One of their most underrated songskylie6

6. Wasting My Time - I have the same opinion about this song as I do for GDWM apart from Wasting My Time is more melodically stronger however the production is weaker on this one

7. Weekend Love - The. Worst. Song. In. Their. Discography. I don’t even know where to start with this song. The over-processed and auto tuned vocals, cringeworthy lyrics, the cheesy melody, the awful production, the excruciatingly painful rap, or the key change at the end. Again, Geri would have never allowed this to happenrih7 And if a guy were to sing this he would labelled a pig just saying

8. Time Goes By - a fucking snoozefest and the production sounds like I did it myself, I don’t think much else needs to be said about this songeve1

9. If You Wanna Have Some Fun - I actually do love this song which is something I didn’t think I would say the first time I heard the album was I was so disappointed with the content I was hearing. However the key change completely ruins it and becomes a snooze fest for the final 2 minutes of the songbebe1

Spoiler

I’m starting to notice that key changes and Spice Girls do not work well togetherbrit15

10. Oxygen - this song is truly like walking through mud or watching paint dry, both activities are more interesting than this song kylie3Super cringey and yet another key change that makes the song even more excruciating than it already was

11. Goodbye - and finally we reach the end of the albumcry6, and they truly saved the best till last. ‘Goodbye’ is truly the only GOOD song they released after Geri left and the only reason it’s good it’s because she was the main writer on it. A beautiful, stunning ballad and a just as beautiful farewell to Halliwell as she moved on without the bandcry9

@Goldie I’m ready for your rebuttaleve1

Goldie    2,948
On 7/14/2019 at 2:50 AM, Beyoncé said:

1. Holler - a catchy song with a good beat, sometimes I even think it could be released nowadays if the vocals and production were majorly brushed up, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t listen to it regularlykylie5 I feel like a lot of people hate on it just because it’s from ‘Forever’ but it is a good song. However it does feel like they’re trying a bit too hard to sound like Destiny’s Child but of course failed to rise to their level

omg this song slays, it's so sexy and effortless cry6 and the video slays too cry6 The opening riffs remind me more of TLC during that time but regardless I have no qualms with this song, the 'holla-holla-holla-holla-holla-c'mon' is kind of 90s cheesy though

2. Tell Me Why - they really tried to make a diss track on Geri Halliwell eve1 the production sounds so cheap and their vocals are overly auto tuned, and the worst part is they’re making a diss track on a female which literally contradicts their whole “girl power” statement, a mess rih9 And although I know Geri leaving contradicts that statement too it’s even worse that the girls continued the feud by making a whole shitty song about it. And the lyrics are also really cringey which is a consistent problem throughout the whole album, it’s sounds like it was written in 5 minutes

Real story, I didn't realize this could be a diss track towards Geri until I read it in a news article. I love the bass line in this song though, I wish the verses had a little more oomph to them but I really dig the pre-choruses and choruses, autotune and all cry6 

3. Let Love Lead the Way - OK but who the fuck wrote those lyrics, how they even allowed this be on their album let alone be a single is beyond me, literally I could’ve written this song it’s that mediocre. Geri would’ve never allowed this to happenkylie5 at least the production sounds good

OK at first I thought this song was low-key a mess especially with these 5 year old girl dream lyrics but after I saw it performed live you can't help but want to sing the chorus rach2 This one needed time to grow on me and I still don't listen to it as much as some other songs on the album but still it's well-produced and the vocals are on point

4. Right Back at Ya - this song really confuses me because we’re literally 4 tracks into the album and they suddenly feel the need to announce that this is their “comeback” eve1 with their new, and quite frankly awful, sound when we already knew what was happening. And it’s really immature that they felt the need to throw in “the four of us have grown” just to emphasise the fact that Geri was gone, it’s like they’re pretending she was never there in the first place. And don’t even get me started on Mel B’s rap brit15 The track overall just sounds cheap with its, again, cringey lyrics and bad production, it’s really boring and I skip it whenever it comes on.

When I first heard this one I confused it with 'Headlines' because I thought it was the single they pushed in 2007 dead2 But I think you're reading into the lyrics too much as being against Geri, I think it's a good track that encapsulates the evolving sound of the Spice Girls w this album while keeping the girl power message (despite losing a member) - and Scary's rap is so bad that it's good ny1 

5. Get Down with Me - ugh finally another good song on this album,cry6 although it’s probably a ‘Spiceworld’ reject I still love it and think it’s a great song, and a great reminder of how fun they used to be before Geri left. Its such a bop with a fun disco beat and it’s one of the only few songs from the album I voluntarily play the whole way through. One of their most underrated songskylie6

OMG I love this one too, Baby's vocals in the prechoruses cry6 just a fun sexy track, total bop

6. Wasting My Time - I have the same opinion about this song as I do for GDWM apart from Wasting My Time is more melodically stronger however the production is weaker on this one

I love this one too, the chorus fucking slays and the way the song drops and builds is just perfect, top 3 on Forever without a doubt

7. Weekend Love - The. Worst. Song. In. Their. Discography. I don’t even know where to start with this song. The over-processed and auto tuned vocals, cringeworthy lyrics, the cheesy melody, the awful production, the excruciatingly painful rap, or the key change at the end. Again, Geri would have never allowed this to happenrih7 And if a guy were to sing this he would labelled a pig just saying

8. Time Goes By - a fucking snoozefest and the production sounds like I did it myself, I don’t think much else needs to be said about this songeve1

These are both horrible, I don't think I've ever listened to either of them in full, because frankly they don't deserve it rav2

9. If You Wanna Have Some Fun - I actually do love this song which is something I didn’t think I would say the first time I heard the album was I was so disappointed with the content I was hearing. However the key change completely ruins it and becomes a snooze fest for the final 2 minutes of the songbebe1

The intro + Scary's bridge is SOOOOO GOOD, I love this one, but like you said it does run a little long, but I think that is Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis' fault, reminds me a lot of how Janet Jackson songs always had 1.5 min of unnecessary chorus time um2 But otherwise this song is epic for me

10. Oxygen - this song is truly like walking through mud or watching paint dry, both activities are more interesting than this song kylie3Super cringey and yet another key change that makes the song even more excruciating than it already was

The least worst out of Weekend Love + Time Goes By + this, it is at least listenable, but 9/10 times I will skip it oprah11 

11. Goodbye - and finally we reach the end of the albumcry6, and they truly saved the best till last. ‘Goodbye’ is truly the only GOOD song they released after Geri left and the only reason it’s good it’s because she was the main writer on it. A beautiful, stunning ballad and a just as beautiful farewell to Halliwell as she moved on without the bandcry9

Iconic, you can see Geri's influence on it even though she was not present, it's beautifully constructed and just essential Spice Girls-sounding, it was incredible to hear this live cry6 And a proper Goodbye to Geri + the world being the last track on their last full album

So we don't disagree so much in the end, Forever was obviously just the last-ditch effort to cash in on the Spice Girls brand and is therefore way less iconic and impactful than the first two albums (which are also nearly picture perfect) - I just love the urban angle they were able to produce with this album that was so different from what they'd done before. The shit songs include the album is well-produced and very cohesive and has some of their best bops on it cry6 

Beyoncé    678
10 minutes ago, Goldie said:

When I first heard this one I confused it with 'Headlines' because I thought it was the single they pushed in 2007 dead2 But I think you're reading into the lyrics too much as being against Geri, I think it's a good track that encapsulates the evolving sound of the Spice Girls w this album while keeping the girl power message (despite losing a member) - and Scary's rap is so bad that it's good ny1 

The fact you though this was Headlines sent me rip2 true I am probably just reading too far into the lyrics but it could still be about Geri, I guess we'll never knowjj2

13 minutes ago, Goldie said:

OK at first I thought this song was low-key a mess especially with these 5 year old girl dream lyrics but after I saw it performed live you can't help but want to sing the chorus rach2 This one needed time to grow on me and I still don't listen to it as much as some other songs on the album but still it's well-produced and the vocals are on point

Literally they all sound so beautiful despite the ugly lyrics and the production is stunningcry7

14 minutes ago, Goldie said:

The intro + Scary's bridge is SOOOOO GOOD, I love this one, but like you said it does run a little long, but I think that is Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis' fault, reminds me a lot of how Janet Jackson songs always had 1.5 min of unnecessary chorus time um2 But otherwise this song is epic for me

Honestly it gets stuck in my head for so long whenever I listen to it, and I agree it kind of sounds like a JJ reject

16 minutes ago, Goldie said:

So we don't disagree so much in the end, Forever was obviously just the last-ditch effort to cash in on the Spice Girls brand and is therefore way less iconic and impactful than the first two albums (which are also nearly picture perfect) - I just love the urban angle they were able to produce with this album that was so different from what they'd done before. The shit songs include the album is well-produced and very cohesive and has some of their best bops on it cry6

We're not so different you and me kylie4 I was expecting you to defend every song on the album but surprisingly have pretty much the same opinionny1 great minds think alikekylie6

55 minutes ago, Goldie said:

Please don't remind me of that crap dead2, Headlines is literally one of the worst songs ever made. 

Goldie    2,948
47 minutes ago, Beyoncé said:

The fact you though this was Headlines sent me rip2 true I am probably just reading too far into the lyrics but it could still be about Geri, I guess we'll never knowjj2

Literally they all sound so beautiful despite the ugly lyrics and the production is stunningcry7

Honestly it gets stuck in my head for so long whenever I listen to it, and I agree it kind of sounds like a JJ reject

We're not so different you and me kylie4 I was expecting you to defend every song on the album but surprisingly have pretty much the same opinionny1 great minds think alikekylie6

Omg yes sis cry6 the album is not perfect but I still think it’s great and can stand on its own in the entirety of Spice Girls discography. I’m listening to IYWHSF now at the GYM OMG MESS1 it’s slaying me

12 minutes ago, I Brings That Levity said:

Please don't remind me of that crap dead2, Headlines is literally one of the worst songs ever made. 

Omg rip2 don’t get me started on that cheap music video too 

1 minute ago, Goldie said:

Omg rip2 don’t get me started on that cheap music video too 

The only bit even remotely interesting was Mel C's verse, but even that was pretty bland for all the 10 seconds that it lasts. 

Beyoncé    678
57 minutes ago, Goldie said:

Omg yes sis cry6 the album is not perfect but I still think it’s great and can stand on its own in the entirety of Spice Girls discography. I’m listening to IYWHSF now at the GYM OMG MESS1 it’s slaying me

Yes sis get that cardiony1 we stan a skinny legendkylie6

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.