Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

imahunter

Taylor only main pop girl without an iconic performance?

On 7/16/2019 at 11:08 PM, Venom said:

Katy's lowkey the same, but I guess she won by having the blasphemy and cultural appropriation moments in Prism era

Her Superbowl was iconic and has remained the most-watched of all time jj2

2 hours ago, Ariana said:

Her Superbowl was iconic and has remained the most-watched of all time jj2

Not to forget Swift Swift Fish with that kid who does the dance on SNL.

10 hours ago, Infrared said:

I don't need to hear from you again because I know you have nothing of significance to say about any subject.

I fixed it for you hun... 

10 hours ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

slow down lol Britney was not the first pop princess to fall from grace and it wasn't a cultural phenomenon by any way you look at it. Ok, Britney was huge, but still just another pop princess with a relative short career so it was expected a fall. It would be too easy for Ariana, who's the current pop princess, to have a public meltdown on stage in order to get everyone attention and secure an iconic performance, don't you think? I'm sorry, but generally speaking an iconic performance is something great that you shouldn't be embarrassed by. 

@Umbreon made some points. 

Britney's breakdown was iconic in a way as well as the mentioned performance. She had sold millions of records and was the most popular pop gir under 30 when all the 2006-2008 mess happened. She was the female version of MJ in terms of popularity and sales in early 2000s. It was such a terrible time for her and the whole world was watching. As much as 2006-2008 events shouldn't be named iconic because of how terrible they were,they are in a way. The VMA performance was like icing on the cake-she confirmed that she was no longer the innocent girl and that she had serious issues. The performance is icionic because of how bad it was. Her VMAs performances prior 2007 had been great and then in 2007 she just went of stage and gave a really bad performance. Not only was it bad, but she herself seemed like she was intoxicated. It was shocking for millions of people who had known her as sweet, innocent and hard working Britney. It was an iconic moment in pop culture (although it shouldn't be)- the princess of pop fell from grace and got destroyed by fame.

1 hour ago, BackToBasics said:

@Umbreon made some points. 

Britney's breakdown was iconic in a way as well as the mentioned performance. She had sold millions of records and was the most popular pop gir under 30 when all the 2006-2008 mess happened. She was the female version of MJ in terms of popularity and sales in early 2000s. It was such a terrible time for her and the whole world was watching. As much as 2006-2008 events shouldn't be named iconic because of how terrible they were,they are in a way. The VMA performance was like icing on the cake-she confirmed that she was no longer the innocent girl and that she had serious issues. The performance is icionic because of how bad it was. Her VMAs performances prior 2007 had been great and then in 2007 she just went of stage and gave a really bad performance. Not only was it bad, but she herself seemed like she was intoxicated. It was shocking for millions of people who had known her as sweet, innocent and hard working Britney. It was an iconic moment in pop culture (although it shouldn't be)- the princess of pop fell from grace and got destroyed by fame.

Should Dua Lipa performances be named iconic too, then? You can argue that Britney overall breakdown was an iconic moment in pop culture because of who Britney was at that time, but the performance itself of Gimme More is just an average bad performance. There were already speculations about how Britney looked like a perfect manufactured puppet of the pop industry and how her dance moves were robotic and emotionless. Her performances prior to that got a lot of undeserved praise imo, especially the Slave performance which is just cringe: there is nothing iconic about animal abuse. mad12

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

Should Dua Lipa performances be named iconic too, then? You can argue that Britney overall breakdown was an iconic moment in pop culture because of who Britney was at that time, but the performance itself of Gimme More is just an average bad performance. There were already speculations about how Britney looked like a perfect manufactured puppet of the pop industry and how her dance moves were robotic and emotionless. Her performances prior to that got a lot of undeserved praise imo, especially the Slave performance which is just cringe: there is nothing iconic about animal abuse. mad12

I've never said that it was a good performance. It's iconic not only because of how bad it was but because it was an irrefutable evidence that she was struggling. MAybe i'm wrong but it was her first bad performance and it coincided with all these rumors of her not being mentally stable. Britney used to be the sweet pop princess and at the VMAs she ultimately showed that she was no longer the person they thought she was. There was something iconic in the performance, I can't explain it in a different way. You may not agree with me.

20 hours ago, Infrared said:

What exactly is my place when you can't deny any of the performances I listed brit4

Fossil has had some of the most panned performances of the past few years. And not in a good way. Gaga's Oscar performance alone has over 200-300 million views and catapulted the song to #1 as well as over 5 million streams in one day. That's an iconic moment. Iconic doesn't need to be only GOOD performances. It's performances that are in embedded in the history of pop and performances people continue to bring up. Janet getting her tit exposed is a great example. Lana flopping on SNL is another. As well as Sinead O Conner ripping up a photo of the pope on SNL. No one gives a shit about Areola's lukewarm performances.

I don't need to hear from you again because I know you have nothing of significance to say about the subject. Present facts, not opinions.

Brown-on-stage-with-Lady--008.jpg?width=

3 minutes ago, Gravity said:

1.2 million people for a performance that is 18 years old say otherwise 

The Gimme More performance is blocked on YouTube as far as I know otherwise it would have much more views than that.

1 hour ago, BackToBasics said:

I've never said that it was a good performance. It's iconic not only because of how bad it was but because it was an irrefutable evidence that she was struggling. MAybe i'm wrong but it was her first bad performance and it coincided with all these rumors of her not being mentally stable. Britney used to be the sweet pop princess and at the VMAs she ultimately showed that she was no longer the person they thought she was. There was something iconic in the performance, I can't explain it in a different way. You may not agree with me.

still a shit performance that did not impact the pop world significantly, but only her own career and life. Again, Britney was not the first one neither the last one pop princess. The world keeps spinning and the throne is still occupied by the queen. mad11

1 hour ago, Gravity said:

Imagine being a pop stan and saying this about one of the most important moments in pop culture brit5

imagine praising animal abuse brit5 

7 minutes ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

still a shit performance that did not impact the pop world significantly, but only her own career and life. Again, Britney was not the first one neither the last one pop princess. The world keeps spinning and the throne is still occupied by the queen. mad11

imagine praising animal abuse brit5 

Britney holds the title of “Princess of Pop” still just like Madonna holds “Queen of Pop.” It did impact the world though. Every eye was on her for that performance and it’s still iconic to her character to this day. I don’t know why you can’t grasp this dead4 

Britney got slammed by PETA and many others for it, trust me, but it still remains iconic. If you hold a snake (real or fake) on your shoulders and strut, people know the reference. It’s iconic.

4 minutes ago, Umbreon said:

Britney holds the title of “Princess of Pop” still just like Madonna holds “Queen of Pop.” It did impact the world though. Every eye was on her for that performance and it’s still iconic to her character to this day. I don’t know why you can’t grasp this dead4 

Britney got slammed by PETA and many others for it, trust me, but it still remains iconic. If you hold a snake (real or fake) on your shoulders and strut, people know the reference. It’s iconic.

again, slow down. Kylie holds the title of Princess of Pop too and for longer time than Britney. Madonna's fall at the Brits is more iconic than Britney's underwhelming Gimme More and got more front pages headlines. 

Being remembered does not always imply to be iconic, sometimes it implies to be laughing stock.

Moreover, take out the snake and the Slave performance it ain't that big deal. Btw maybe there is a reason why nobody used snakes before Britney? Maybe you just look dumb and cruel if you do it? kylie3

37 minutes ago, Umbreon said:

Not really to be honest. I didn't know about this performance until maybe two years ago? And I was born in 1995 and lived through that era. It may be more of a local thing. Everybody I know knows 2007 Britney and everything attached to it because it was quite honestly hilarious.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.