Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Wild Card

Importance of Vocal Technique

What’s up?undefined

After recent discussions on my TL, I’ve had the idea to bring a conversation here.

How important do you think vocal technique is to become a popular singer in the current social climate?

Personally, I think that it isn’t necessarily a prerequisite into becoming famous, but it sure as hell helps. 

Do you think singers need perfect technique to become superstars? Sure, Mariah and Beyoncé have perfect technique, but equally, singers like Madonna don’t. 

Do you also think it’s necessary to preserve your voice to have a longstanding legacy?

Like you said I don’t think you have to have good technique to break into the business and achieve what you want to achieve. However, if you want longevity then you certainly must. Bad technique is what has led artists like Madonna to lose their voice as they have gotten older, they forget to preserve their voice and ultimately lose it. Even Mariah lost it for a while but luckily regained it. It’s definitely work it for an artist to learn what technique works best for them in order to maintain their voice in the best possible condition. I don’t think it really helps maintain a legacy but it helps with your credibility as a vocalist. 

5 minutes ago, Beyoncé said:

Like you said I don’t think you have to have good technique to break into the business and achieve what you want to achieve. However, if you want longevity then you certainly must. Bad technique is what has led artists like Madonna to lose their voice as they have gotten older, they forget to preserve their voice and ultimately lose it. Even Mariah lost it for a while but luckily regained it. It’s definitely work it for an artist to learn what technique works best for them in order to maintain their voice in the best possible condition. I don’t think it really helps maintain a legacy but it helps with your credibility as a vocalist. 

Yeah 100%, but do you think someone needs to have absolutely perfect technique in order to maintain a legacy and be a credible vocalist or do you reckon someone’s technique can be passable in order for them to have that longevity?

2 minutes ago, Wild Card said:

Yeah 100%, but do you think someone needs to have absolutely perfect technique in order to maintain a legacy and be a credible vocalist or do you reckon someone’s technique can be passable in order for them to have that longevity?

Even if someone has bad technique they can definitely still maintain their legacy

Yes i do think it's important, however i think equally there has to be emotion. Technique is important as it helps the longevity of the artist (provided there isn't any health implications) and it also means they aren't ripping their voice to shreds (cough Fergie). Emotion is important as it allows the artist to connect with the audience. If someone creates a song they should be able to sing it live, perhaps not in the same set up, but they should be able to sing it live in some way. Another note to point is that a true vocalist doesn't need to be full force at all times, they need to learn humility and respect and know when to add in runs and belts etc. Belting all through a song while impressive isn't necessary.

2 minutes ago, Simón. said:

No, they need authenticity and an attitude and a lot of luck 

And this! A perfect example would be Rihanna. Technically speaking not the best singer but she has presence, attitude and can engage with a song. 

2 minutes ago, I Brings That Levity said:

Yes i do think it's important, however i think equally there has to be emotion. Technique is important as it helps the longevity of the artist (provided there isn't any health implications) and it also means they aren't ripping their voice to shreds (cough Fergie). Emotion is important as it allows the artist to connect with the audience. If someone creates a song they should be able to sing it live, perhaps not in the same set up, but they should be able to sing it live in some way. Another note to point is that a true vocalist doesn't need to be full force at all times, they need to learn humility and respect and know when to add in runs and belts etc. Belting all through a song while impressive isn't necessary.

Absolutely. At the end of the day, artists depend on an audience to succeed. And while an amazing technique is incredibly helpful in maintaining a career, adding too much makes it so audiences can’t access a song (like sing along) and a lack of emotion creates disinterest. Your mind >>>

3 minutes ago, I Brings That Levity said:

And this! A perfect example would be Rihanna. Technically speaking not the best singer but she has presence, attitude and can engage with a song. 

I agree with everything you just said. If the singer is unable to connect with the song that there will probably be no emotion therefore the audience will have no reaction 

You don't need it to make it big, evidently. But, learning it gains you a lot of respect and admiration seeing how it takes literal years to perfect, and how rare it is.

To me, vocal technique is very important, because singers w/ it simply sound better than those w/o. If you want to maintain your big voice, you'll have to learn proper technique or it'll decline fast(ex. Xtina).

Ariana, for example, seemed to have good technique in her broadway-days but has abandoned it since going pop, and lost her resonance and enunciation. Just compare her recent performance of The Wizard and I to the one where she was younger, and also her jaw when she does runs genuinely frightens me.

I think it's important, maybe not for you career to start but to last.

Yes, you can have a career and have no technique at all but your voice is still your instrument. Technique is not only about vocal acrobatics and all that, but also to protect your voice. So let's say your fave is really into growling distortion while singing: you can do this both with an awful technique that will destroy your vocal chords in no time or with a good technique that doesn't damage the chords or the vocal folds.

I personally think that's why Christina Aguilera took so long to drop new music: many years of great vocals but with an awful technique.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.