Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Americunt

Lana Del Rey | Chemtrails Over The Country Club | March 19th, 2021

My thoughts after 3 or so listens:

Wild at Heart

Dark But Just a Game

Chemtrails

Tulsa Jesus Freak

Not All Those Who Wander

Dance Till We Die

White Dress

For Free

Love You Like A Woman

Yosemite

Breaking Up Slowly

Overall already has grown on me a lot and while I stand by my assessment that it mostly sounds like NFR B-Sides.... that’s 100% not a bad thing at all

If Indigo Sparke decided to absorb a little bit of Lana and/or vice-versa. jj2

As it is already known, her way of bringing the song to life has evolved over the time to the point when this folky, hush sound suits her naturally. I sailed through during my listens and didn't feel it as prolonging listening session, which is obviously positive.

It doesn't attack right away, like Ultraviolence and Norman Fuck!ng Rockwell, but it has potential to dethrone Honeymoon as my next in line Lana's album, because now she feels so over the things and gives them new pespective - White Dress.

There is classic Lana here as well - Tulsa Jesus Freak and title song, but For Free really stoods out ( in a positive way ). Not her best cover, but choosing song that captures everyday life and ordinary things in contrast to Born to Die's fame-drenched persona is what this gives another plus. The whole album is so close to this domestic/countryside landscape as a whole, so it doesn't surprise.

There is still motif of that splashy starlet, Coney Island princess, but she is more reflectively nostalgic - Dark But Just a Game for example.

And I feel Not All Who Wander Are Lost and Yosemite are raw and real Lana and both give away that desert vibe, both mundane and hopeful.

I still need to give it more spins, since I am still not feeling effects of all the songs to the their full potential, but they do strike. bey7

Just have to say, Lana albums always age best. Never have I heard her albums and been convinced on the first listen. Your first go around you are just getting the tempo, the melody, of it. It’s the tenth time you start to notice lyrical genius. Then the twentieth time you appreciate the vocal structure and experimentalism.

So yes, it’s a grower. But so was NFR and Honeymoon

6 hours ago, Joanne said:

Just have to say, Lana albums always age best. Never have I heard her albums and been convinced on the first listen. Your first go around you are just getting the tempo, the melody, of it. It’s the tenth time you start to notice lyrical genius. Then the twentieth time you appreciate the vocal structure and experimentalism.

Agree, but some songs get to you quicker tho. Tulsa Jesus Freak was an instant highlight to me and that was even before the album dropped! oprah15 

On 3/21/2021 at 8:46 PM, Joanne said:

Weirdly enough I liked Honeysnooze straight away, then after a while I started to think the reverse - repetitive tempos, boring melodies, dull lyrics. And yet... it feels like her most "complete" album somehow?

UV grew on me definitely, as did LFL (still hate all of the features), but NFR has never gotten better in my view, and I fear COCC will be the same cry3

3 hours ago, Unapologetic Bitch said:

finally bebe1

osCM2cP.jpg

the poster is literally just picture of a car jj4

Just like her first 4 albums jj2

That picture above doesn't even look like her I-

On 3/26/2021 at 1:36 AM, Unapologetic Bitch said:

the poster is literally just of jj4

thats why i look on discogs first jj4 

with her its never her on the poster jj4 

On 3/28/2021 at 8:04 PM, Living Dead Boy said:

My reaction when I opened the Target version CD.

I guess that's we pay for the better cover brit8

i think id prefer the original cover and have this image as the poster brit8 

On 3/26/2021 at 5:30 AM, LÉON said:

Weirdly enough I liked Honeysnooze straight away, then after a while I started to think the reverse - repetitive tempos, boring melodies, dull lyrics. And yet... it feels like her most "complete" album somehow?

UV grew on me definitely, as did LFL (still hate all of the features), but NFR has never gotten better in my view, and I fear COCC will be the same cry3

Honeymoon is by far her most “complete” album in terms of it being cohesive and fully  fleshed out. It’s definitely pretty slow, I actually meditate to certain songs even. But I think it just feels that way because her other records are a lot more intentionally unstructured and dive more into experimental music. Honeymoon is the closest to a “pop” landscape in terms of format for a Lana album. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.