Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

nosweetdream

Why has it taken Warner Music Group so long to establish a successful female artist after Madonna?

UMG and Sony have Taylor Swift & Adele, WMG has Cardi B & Dua Lipa. But the difference between those three is that Universal and Sony have had more success with their female artists across the various labels they own, while Warner, on the other hand has failed to gain a success with any of their female artists for a decade after Madonna left Warner Records in 2008. She was the biggest artist that label had for 25 YEARS. And for the next 10 years, the only successful artists they’ve had are MALE artists like Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, etc. So what gives? Sure, they have Cardi and Dua to amp up their profile and reputation in the industry, and they’re both Grammy award winners which should make any WMG executive giddy with joy. But what about the other female artists they have signed  huh? What about Charli, Marina, Bebe, Melanie, Kehlani, etc? What is WMG lacking when it comes to their female artists? Promotion, *payola*? Anything?

32 minutes ago, nosweetdream said:

What about Charli, Marina, Bebe, Melanie, Kehlani, etc?

1. Charli rebranded
  2. Marina was mishandled and didn't have enough funding to do the Electra Heart era properly
  3. Bebe's the white Rita Ora
  4. Nobody has the patience for a Melanie era to get finished
  5. Who?
25 minutes ago, Venom said:
  1. Charli rebranded
  2. Marina was mishandled and didn't have enough funding to do the Electra Heart era properly
  3. Bebe's the white Rita Ora
  4. Nobody has the patience for a Melanie era to get finished
  5. Who?

1. you're right about Charli, personally I think Atlantic keeps trying to fuck her over, especially when her shit gets leaked.

2. it's a shame that Marina was mishandled, because imagine how big Primadonna and HTBAH would've been on the charts if she had better promotion. 

3. fact, and rita > bebe.

4. also a fact, and besides her aesthetic isn't radio friendly or mainstream friendly.

5. she was on AGT, and her debut album peaked at #3 it's first week. she's pretty good, too bad her promo isn't good enough. 

4 minutes ago, Madame X said:

Madonna being in WMG doesn't mean anything. She was promoting herself more than WMG was promoting her.

brit15

I get what you're saying, but that's not what i mean. I mean the female artists contributing to the profit and profile of these labels. 

Warner doesn't know how to market their ladies.

They either try and force an image/sound and it flops or they have talent but they don't know what to do with it.

Madonna obviously paved her own way and fought for her success against them many times before leaving.

Charli, Bebe, and Marina all discussed being unhappy with how they were managed.

They've all had projects/eras hurt in some way.

Mostly they've repeatedly had larger projects scrapped for EPs with low promo, which points to a lack of support.

Dua Lipa is lucky she's had the success she's had with them compared to the 3 aforementioned.

But she should've been promoted harder early on for sure.

I also forgot to add another artist: Ava Max. What about her? Sure, she’s had plenty of success with Sweet but Pyscho, but that’s been her only hit song. So Am I was a flash in the pan and her album STILL hasn’t come out yet. If I’m forgetting any other female artists that are signed to the WMG labels, let me know. 

33 minutes ago, nosweetdream said:

I also forgot to add another artist: Ava Max. What about her? Sure, she’s had plenty of success with Sweet but Pyscho, but that’s been her only hit song. So Am I was a flash in the pan and her album STILL hasn’t come out yet. If I’m forgetting any other female artists that are signed to the WMG labels, let me know. 

I'm already seeing Warner's pattern with Ava on just her second single.

Psycho was a hit and they repackaged it with So Am I

Examples

Spoiler

So Am I is also Bad Romance/Judas situation but with lazy cliched writing.

They rely on very similar melodies ("out ma ma ma mind" "so am i i i i i i"), production, tempo, and vocally they're very similar sounds.

I did some digging and Wikipedia cites a deleted instagram post of Ava's from December of last year that Blood Sweat and Tears was originaly the second single.

While I can't find evidence for sure, Warner probably pushed So am I instead purely because of it sounding similar and it worked the first time.

So yea, her album is likely still in development while the execs decide what to do.

since when were albanian people not white dead7

dua and ava were their best chances

rita confuses me, i love her but how did her album flop (in the uk) when it had so many hits(in the uk) dead1 like marina outpeaked her with her flop era and no singles charted 

bebe and charli continously gets fucked over and i'm not here for it brit7 

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

Wait but Dua lipa and Cardi are WMG? Why are you discounting their success?

I’m not discounting their success, I mean, I mentioned that they’re fucking Grammy winners for God’s sake. And yes, they are a part of WMG. Dua’s signed to Warner and Cardi’s signed to Atlantic. All I'm saying is that WMG should be promoting their female artists better, just like they should’ve been immediately after Madonna left. 

4 minutes ago, nosweetdream said:

I’m not discounting their success, I mean, I mentioned that they’re fucking Grammy winners for God’s sake. And yes, they are a part of WMG. Dua’s signed to Warner and Cardi’s signed to Atlantic. All I'm saying is that WMG should be promoting their female artists better, just like they should’ve been immediately after Madonna left. 

Wait isn’t Beyonce WMG? um1 And Sia? And Kylie Minogue? um1 

Just now, nosweetdream said:

Warner/Chappell is a publishing division of WMG. That doesn’t mean she’s signed to any of the WMG labels. And FYI, not everything you read on Wikipedia is true. 

So yes wiki is telling the truth, she is listed as Warner / Chappell.

also Sia and Kylie, pray tell? brit10  

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

So yes wiki is telling the truth, she is listed as Warner / Chappell.

also Sia and Kylie, pray tell? brit10  

Ok, miss know-it-all, Sia’s only been with Atlantic for 2 years and all she’s released on the label is a Christmas album 💀 Kylie is only successful in Europe and Asia, not the US. Remember, CGYOOMH was #1 everywhere else back in 2001, but NO, not in the US, it only peaked at #7 there. Why don’t you wait until Sia actually release another album and Kylie actually gets good promo for her next era, especially for her US stans, and then we can talk, OK? brit8

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.