Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shego

Did Michael Jackson evolved as an artist?

Recently i spilled some tea about MJ's artisty and discography, and some fans came for me by saying that he did evolved as an artist and that he tried many music genres in his career, and that he's one of the (if not the most) versatile artists ever.

LxbrbC1.gifLxbrbC1.gifLxbrbC1.gifLxbrbC1.gif

What do you think.

LxbrbC1.gif

It may seem like he didnt evolve as an artist bcuz Bad and Thriller have that 80s sound. But none of the songs from these albums sound anything like Dangerous or Invincible for example. 

And as he got further into his career he started getting more political and talking about race issues while on his earlier work he would talk mostly about love. 

But its difficult to say. He only had like 5 albums as an adult and they were released far apart so he didnt have a chance to develop.

You could say Madonna didnt evolve musically until her 5th album which was Erotica bcuz all the previous 4 albums have the same 80s sound. All she did in these albums was change the visual concept. But that would not be true. By her 5th and 6th albums she was definitely changing. By MJ's 6th adult album he was dead brit15.

But I dont even think he wanted to be this chameleon like Madonna. That was always Madonna's thing. He embodied an era in time throught his career while Madonna moved on with the time.

They are totally different artists. I think that's why people like MJ so much. He literally represented the 80s throught his career. While Madonna had massive success in the 80s she isn't the definitive representative bcuz her future works eclipsed that image. MJ couldn't do that bcuz he relesed albums very slowly and by the time the 2000s rolled in he was already done with music. 

15 minutes ago, Gravity said:

It may seem like he didnt evolve as an artist bcuz Bad and Thriller have that 80s sound. But none of the songs from these albums sound anything like Dangerous or Invincible for example. 

And as he got further into his career he started getting more political and talking about race issues while on his earlier work he would talk mostly about love. 

But its difficult to say. He only had like 5 albums as an adult and they were released far apart so he didnt have a chance to develop.

You could say Madonna didnt evolve musically until her 5th album which was Erotica bcuz all the previous 4 albums have the same 80s sound. All she did in these albums was change the visual concept. But that would not be true. By her 5th and 6th albums she was definitely changing. By MJ's 6th adult album he was dead brit15.

But I dont even think he wanted to be this chameleon like Madonna. That was always Madonna's thing. He embodied an era in time throught his career while Madonna moved on with the time.

They are totally different artists. I think that's why people like MJ so much. He literally represented the 80s throught his career. While Madonna had massive success in the 80s she isn't the definitive representative bcuz her future works eclipsed that image. MJ couldn't do that bcuz he relesed albums very slowly and by the time the 2000s rolled in he was already done with music. 

lol LAV and LAP are VERY different albums and both belong to the 80's. MJ got the same sound throughout the 80's and even in the 90's you can recognize his style. He never really evolved as an artist and that is why his impact is limited to 1-2 albums and few dance moves brit15

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

lol LAV and LAP are VERY different albums and both belong to the 80's. MJ got the same sound throughout the 80's and even in the 90's you can CLEARLY recognize his music and compare it to his 80's sound. On the other hand Madonna in the 90's sounds totally different from the 80's and the same for Madonna's in the '00s. MJ was already flopping in the 90's still stacked with the same sound and dance moves and he failed to produce anything impactful. 

Meh the only thing that changed are the visuals and the lyrics topics. But that because she had room to grow. MJ released  2 albums in the 80s while Madonna 4. Obviously she evolved faster in the same decade. 

His two 90s albums dont sound anything like Bad and Thriller. Does They Dont Really Care about us sound anything like Billie Jean ? His style of dancing also changed. Just because he did the moonwalk from time to time doesn't mean he  didn't got new dance moves or style lol3

I'm not even gonna bother with you past this quote cuz I know you're a massive MJ hater who thinks he's a one hit wonder when he's actually the most famous musician ever.

12 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Meh the only thing that changed are the visuals and the lyrics topics. But that because she had room to grow. MJ released  2 albums in the 80s while Madonna 4. Obviously she evolved faster in the same decade. 

His two 90s albums dont sound anything like Bad and Thriller. Does They Dont Really Care about us sound anything like Billie Jean ? His style of dancing also changed. Just because he did the moonwalk from time to time doesn't mean he  didn't got new dance moves or style lol3

I'm not even gonna bother with you past this quote cuz I know you're a massive MJ hater who thinks he's a one hit wonder when he's actually the most famous pedophile ever.

Does Like a Virgin sound like Like a Prayer? those songs and their respective albums could not be more different. lol3

On the other hand sorry to say but yes you can clearly recognize MJ in They Don't Really Care. The instrumental is different, I give you that, but his style and way to sing it's the same. Madonna on the 90's is a totally different artist respect to the 80's and you would not able to recognize her so easily. 

Btw how exactly MJ dancing changed if he was still counting on the moonwalk to entertain the VMA in 2002? lol3

36 minutes ago, Gravity said:

I didn't mention Madonna or compared him to her. Even tho you can see Madonna changing and growing as an artist at the 80s after the end of Like a Virgin era. And "Vogue" with I'm Breathless came before the Erotica era.

LxbrbC1.gif

MJ's most songs give me an 80s vibe, idk why, songs like "Scream", "You Rock My World" and "Cry" for example.

LxbrbC1.gif

45 minutes ago, ShutUpRae said:

Yes, Thriller and Bad were his only two similar albums. Dangerous was his step into more serious topics and HIStory was very political

omg your avi! I'm having flashbacks of cupcake lambs on twitter threatening to mass report me and get my account suspended cuz I posted that picture a few weeks ago.

OP: Never really cared about MJ's music. I think Prince's artistry was better tbh

14 minutes ago, Madame X said:

I didn't mention Madonna or compared him to her. Even tho you can see Madonna changing and growing as an artist at the 80s after the end of Like a Virgin era. And "Vogue" with I'm Breathless came before the Erotica era.

LxbrbC1.gif

MJ's most songs give me an 80s vibe, idk why, songs like "Scream", "You Rock My World" and "Cry" for example.

LxbrbC1.gif

It must be his style of singing cuz none of these songs instrumentally sound like what he did in the 80s. 

Should he change his singing voice too to evolve as an artist? 

LxbrbC1.gif 

1 hour ago, Gravity said:

It must be his style of singing cuz none of these songs instrumentally sound like what he did in the 80s. 

Should he change his singing voice too to evolve as an artist? 

LxbrbC1.gif 

oh please the instrumentals of MJ's songs are quite similar with few exceptions like They Don't Care About US. He got forever stacked in the 80s and that's why he got way less hit songs than Madonna. Seriously, there are more differences between Like a Virgin and True Blue than between Thriller and Invincible bebe1

On top of that, he totally failed to reinvent his image and his dancing moves ari4

Some people here are mixing evolving and reinventing. jj3 Kate Bush has pretty much done the same music through her career, but she has evolved and played with elements of different music genres. However, she didn't really reinvent. interesting1 

Michael Jackson did evolve, because his 80s and later music was different than his 70s stuff. 

However, with Thriller he stuck to that sound, but he adapted it well to the 90s trends and productions. Perhaps, there was a subtle evolving, but I need to listen to his albums again.

2 hours ago, Gravity said:

You could say Madonna didnt evolve musically until her 5th album which was Erotica bcuz all the previous 4 albums have the same 80s sound. All she did in these albums was change the visual concept. But that would not be true. By her 5th and 6th albums she was definitely changing. 

Actually Madonna evolved through the 80s. 

With Into The Groove (1985) she set the bar higher. On True Blue her voice was stronger and certain lyrics were more mature. With Like a Prayer she went further lyrically and musically. oprah14 

43 minutes ago, Agent X said:

Some people here are mixing evolving and reinventing. jj3

Being stuck to a genre isn't evolving, neither reinventing. jj3 I don't think MJ evolved much. jj3

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.