Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shego

Did Michael Jackson evolved as an artist?

Have any of the Madge stans in here actually LISTENED to his albums? lol3 

Off the Wall was funk and disco. With Thriller he evolved a LITTLE bit from that but it was essentially the same. Bad was far more progressive (especially at that time). I mean hello?? Have y'all listened to songs like Dirty Diana, Leave Me Alone, Liberian Girl...? They sound nothing like the stuff from OTW and Thriller.

Then you have Dangerous which was definitely one of THE most inportant albums of the 90s and is credited for starting the New Jack Swing trend. He incorporated beatboxing into the production of his songs (something that was not done at that time). In the Closet, Who Is It and Dangerous are literally some of the most experimental songs of his entire discography and were so innovative for RnB music at that time. HIStory was a bit of a mix of everything he has done before but thematically it was a huge progression. EXTREMELY personal, political and also very controversial especially for an artist like him.

His music progressed but I must admit that his tours were all carbon copies of his first solo tour and he wasn't very flexible when it came to incorporating songs from his supporting albums.

9 minutes ago, Madame X said:

Being stuck to a genre isn't evolving, neither reinventing. jj3 I don't think MJ evolved much. jj3

First of all it should be "did MJ *evolve". I see you're still struggling  with simple past. lol3 

He did rock and shaped an entirely NEW genre within RnB. The reason RnB became more mainstream is because of artists like him who blended RnB with genres such as rock and pop. Aside from that, he was among the first to include rappers on his songs.

You haven't even properly listened to his music. lol3 If you did, you wouldn't be talking so much bullshit. I know a lot of Madge stans are pissed though that even in death, he gets more recognition and credit than M ever has. Even after the pedophilia allegations (which have been proven false more than once).

1 minute ago, Madonna said:

He did rock and shaped an entirely NEW genre within RnB. The reason RnB became more mainstream is because of artists like him who blended RnB with genres such as rock and pop. Aside from that, he was among the first to include rappers on his songs.

You haven't even properly listened to his music. lol3 If you did, you wouldn't be talking so much bullshit. I know a lot of Madge stans are pissed though that even in death, he gets more recognition and credit than M ever has. Even after the pedophilia allegations (which have been proven false more than once).

I didn't compare him with Madonna at the OP, i talked only about him and his discography. lol3 Personally i can't say that MJ evovled a lot, you can take songs from some albums of him and put them in another one, and the album will still sound cohesive. lol3 Since you mentioned In The Closet, when did it got released? I could easily see it as a Bad track. lol3

10 minutes ago, Madame X said:

I didn't compare him with Madonna at the OP, i talked only about him and his discography. lol3 Personally i can't say that MJ evovled a lot, you can take songs from some albums of him and put them in another one, and the album will still sound cohesive. lol3 Since you mentioned In The Closet, when did it got released? I could easily see it as a Bad track. lol3

In the Closet on Bad? lol3 Nice try. Also...*when did it get released. When will you fucking LEARN? clap1 

1 minute ago, Madonna said:

In the Closet on Bad? lol3 Nice try. Also...*when did it get released. When will you fucking LEARN? clap1 

I'm a human, i make mistakes. clap1

Just now, Madonna said:

You make that one mistake VERY often. clap1 

No i don't. Everytime i do it you quote me, i'm scared when i see a notification by you. clap1 @Freaky Prince's exposes my ass to you when i make that mistake too. None of have quote me about it in a while. I won. clap1 That's not the right section to discuss it tho. clap1

He could be versatile when he wanted to. I mean Dangerous is all kinds of things. He even did a grunge rock song with "Give Into Me". Often he stuck to a formula but I would say he never did anything different because he did

7 hours ago, Madame X said:

No i don't. Everytime i do it you quote me, i'm scared when i see a notification by you. clap1 @Freaky Prince's exposes my ass to you when i make that mistake too. None of have quote me about it in a while. I won. clap1 That's not the right section to discuss it tho. clap1

I literally saw it yesterday, but didnt want to comment

LxbrbC1.gif 

9 hours ago, Madame X said:

Being stuck to a genre isn't evolving, neither reinventing. jj3 I don't think MJ evolved much. jj3

In general, you can stick to the same genre and evolve if you refresh it and add some elements of other genres, without actually reinventing the sound completely. 

Speaking of Michael, yeah, he didn't evolve much. The only big transition was from the 70s to the 80s. 

23 hours ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

Bad is a carbon copy of Thriller brit10

His music, style and dance moves never evolved post Thriller mad3

I agree to a certain extent. He did evolve a lot from his Motown days to Off The Wall to Thriller, but then after that he pretty much stuck to the Thriller formula, with Bad being its direct sequel. “Dangerous” was him going a little darker but the Thriller DNA was still stamped all over it. “History” was another step of him dipping his toes in different waters, but never jumping in. Then Invincible was definitely a step back into the Thriller/Bad formula. “You Rock My World” was a carbon copy of PYT and The Way You Make Me Feel. 

12 minutes ago, Agugaga said:

I agree to a certain extent. He did evolve a lot from his Motown days to Off The Wall to Thriller, but then after that he pretty much stuck to the Thriller formula, with Bad being its direct sequel. “Dangerous” was him going a little darker but the Thriller DNA was still stamped all over it. “History” was another step of him dipping his toes in different waters, but never jumping in. Then Invincible was definitely a step back into the Thriller/Bad formula. “You Rock My World” was a carbon copy of PYT and The Way You Make Me Feel. 

Spill the tea sis tea2

20 hours ago, Agent X said:

Some people here are mixing evolving and reinventing. jj3 Kate Bush has pretty much done the same music through her career, but she has evolved and played with elements of different music genres. However, she didn't really reinvent. interesting1 

Michael Jackson did evolve, because his 80s and later music was different than his 70s stuff. 

However, with Thriller he stuck to that sound, but he adapted it well to the 90s trends and productions. Perhaps, there was a subtle evolving, but I need to listen to his albums again.

Actually Madonna evolved through the 80s. 

With Into The Groove (1985) she set the bar higher. On True Blue her voice was stronger and certain lyrics were more mature. With Like a Prayer she went further lyrically and musically. oprah14 

I would definitely compare MJ and Madonna’s first 3 albums.

Off The Wall=Madonna

Distinct late 70s/early 80s dance pop sound that made them popular at the clubs and made them breakout as radio stars.

Thriller=Like A Virgin

80s pop at its finest that turned them both into visual artists and pop cultural phenomenon’s.  

Bad=True Blue

Late 80s sequels to the previous albums, following a rather safe formula, but jam packed with pop hits that perfected the 80s pop sound.

Then from there, Madonna evolved, and MJ not so much.

21 hours ago, Madonna said:

Have any of the Madge stans in here actually LISTENED to his albums? lol3 

Off the Wall was funk and disco. With Thriller he evolved a LITTLE bit from that but it was essentially the same. Bad was far more progressive (especially at that time). I mean hello?? Have y'all listened to songs like Dirty Diana, Leave Me Alone, Liberian Girl...? They sound nothing like the stuff from OTW and Thriller.

Then you have Dangerous which was definitely one of THE most inportant albums of the 90s and is credited for starting the New Jack Swing trend. He incorporated beatboxing into the production of his songs (something that was not done at that time). In the Closet, Who Is It and Dangerous are literally some of the most experimental songs of his entire discography and were so innovative for RnB music at that time. HIStory was a bit of a mix of everything he has done before but thematically it was a huge progression. EXTREMELY personal, political and also very controversial especially for an artist like him.

His music progressed but I must admit that his tours were all carbon copies of his first solo tour and he wasn't very flexible when it came to incorporating songs from his supporting albums.

oh wow. let me get my wig together because I'm shook by this unexpected, unbiased answer oprah13

On 8/10/2019 at 5:10 PM, MSL said:

omg your avi! I'm having flashbacks of cupcake lambs on twitter threatening to mass report me and get my account suspended cuz I posted that picture a few weeks ago.

OP: Never really cared about MJ's music. I think Prince's artistry was better tbh

cupcake lambs? jj2

4 minutes ago, ShutUpRae said:

cupcake lambs? jj2

yeah overly defensive mariah fans. Everyone forgot about those pics and I simply said it looked exactly like her instagram pic from 2016 that are still there 3 years later. Mariah would have deleted them if she cared...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.