Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

My Glitter (film) review...

OK, so first thing I have to get out of the way - did not know @Sylk came from this movie, had to rewind and turn on closed captioning to make sure when somebody called Padma Lakshi's character that. I guess I'm really gullible because I totally believed his story about his username just being a typo of Silk rip2 

Anyway, so yeah, it's not good. It's not as horrible as its reputation suggests, but I would say it's worse than the majority of some others films of the same ilk that came out around the same time, say Coyote Ugly or Save the Last Dance (not that those are good movies either - they're all pretty cliche ridden). I have to say I really hate the editing, it's just irritating and overly frenetic. 

So obviously the main plot is somewhat influenced by A Star Is Born, but the problem here is that Mariah and the male lead have no chemistry at all. It's hard to believe that they want to spend any time together. I also have to say I find it strange that Mariah's performance/role here is kind of understated. What I mean by that is even though she's obviously the main character, I'm pretty certain that she has considerably less lines than Dice. Maybe it just feels like it, and if that actually is so I'd be curious as to why. I'm not sure if they were unsure about her acting ability and chose to embrace subtlety from the get go or if she recognised that most of the dialogue was really bad and had her own trimmed down. 

A few other random observations...

- Seems like a weird choice to say that they haven't found Dice's killer, not sure why they don't simply say "Terrence Howard has been apprehended"...

- I don't really get the Milli Vanilli nonsense in the first act with Mariah singing for Sylk (!), generally you'd do that with someone who can sing but isn't attractive, no? It'd just be easier to skip that step, forget about Padma Lakshi and get Mariah to do everything, no?

- There's like one scene with glitter rip4 

So yeah. It's a bad movie, but not one of the worst ever, or even the worst I've watched in the past week. Drive safe, everybody...

For me, Glitter is a film to watch mindlessly. You don't want to watch something that makes you want to think or be highly driven to the point of madness. I've always liked watching it. But it's far from as horrible as some claim it to be.

Any chance you could put "Movie" in the title of this thread? I was away to come for filth if you dissed the soundtrack. alex1

But yeah much of what you say is what everyone else says about the movie, also some of the camera angles are awful. 

10 minutes ago, I Brings That Levity said:

Any chance you could put "Movie" in the title of this thread? I was away to come for filth if you dissed the soundtrack. alex1

But yeah much of what you say is what everyone else says about the movie, also some of the camera angles are awful. 

The soundtrack is pretty good. I didn't actually know the movie was set in the 80s until I watched it so I was a bit surprised by the synthesizers!

yeah this review was pretty much expected..  it's sort of become a cult classic amongst lambs imo it's not the worst movie of all time, it's a meh 

On 8/12/2019 at 8:08 PM, Dennis Reynolds said:

OK, so first thing I have to get out of the way - did not know @Sylk came from this movie, had to rewind and turn on closed captioning to make sure when somebody called Padma Lakshi's character that. I guess I'm really gullible because I totally believed his story about his username just being a typo of Silk rip2 

actually I had the name before I even stanned Mariah, it just happened to be a strange coincidence that there's a character from the movie with that name (plus there's an R&B act named Sylk also a vaginal lubricant by that name too) rip3 

The story about the typo is also untrue, I actually don't recall where or how I got it from, it's been a long time. Recently however I've adopted an extra 'y' at the end and all my friends have been calling me Sylky! 

8 hours ago, Sylk said:

actually I had the name before I even stanned Mariah, it just happened to be a strange coincidence that there's a character from the movie with that name (plus there's an R&B act named Sylk also a vaginal lubricant by that name too) rip3 

The story about the typo is also untrue, I actually don't recall where or how I got it from, it's been a long time. Recently however I've adopted an extra 'y' at the end and all my friends have been calling me Sylky! 

A very strange coincidence rip2 

On 8/31/2019 at 1:41 AM, SailorKrypton said:

When this film came out when I was 16 I was in love with it and it's soundtrack. Such memoriesssss.

Yes.

The soundtrack is awesome and the background score of the ending scene is classical.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.