Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shego

Donald Trump wants to buy Greenland

This land is your land, this land is ... Greenland?

President Donald Trump has on multiple occasions discussed trying to buy the country of Greenland, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

Trump has with "varying degrees of seriousness" expressed an interest in trying to purchase the icy 811,000-square-mile island in the North Atlantic, according to the Journal, citing unnamed sources familiar with the deliberations.

Greenland is an autonomous Danish territory. Trump reportedly told advisers in one exchange last spring he'd heard that Denmark was having financial problems because of the subsidies it pays to Greenland, and wondered if he should buy it. "What do you guys think about?" Trump asked the room, a source told the Journal. "Do you think it would work?"

It's unclear what the price tag for the country would be, or whether Denmark would consider selling it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-s-green-new-deal-president-reportedly-considering-buying-greenland-n1042966?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

How many years left for elections? US better hurry up.

676867590_Bebe1.gif.6be0bcc1d0e82dc55e8b

Donald Trump needs to buy medication to treat his syphilis — it’s clearly spread to his brain.

About a year left until the election, and this nightmare will be over. Or, about a year before I become the newest citizen of Canada — before it goes full on Handmaiden’s Tale. 

I can believe 80,000 people flushed the greatest political abstraction to ever exist down the toilet, it is insane. 

16 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Donald Trump needs to buy medication to treat his syphilis — it’s clearly spread to his brain.

How very generous of you to assume that he ever had a fully-functioning brain, lol

On 8/15/2019 at 5:47 PM, Darth Sidious said:

About a year left until the election, and this nightmare will be over. Or, about a year before I become the newest citizen of Canada — before it goes full on Handmaiden’s Tale. 

I can believe 80,000 people flushed the greatest political abstraction to ever exist down the toilet, it is insane. 

I'm not so sure that the election has already been decided. I've seen several articles that suggest that Dump could lose the popular vote by 3-5m and still win the electoral college. States like Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Florida, etc. are still very much undecided. It's shitty, but thats the way it is *channels christina aguilera*

3 minutes ago, Kenya said:

I'm not so sure that the election has already been decided. I've seen several articles that suggest that Dump could lose the popular vote by 3-5m and still win the electoral college. States like Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Florida, etc. are still very much undecided. It's shitty, but thats the way it is *channels christina aguilera*

Yeah — I mean, I’m allowing for the possibility that it’ll all come down to that again, but even if I take myself out of a Trump hating position, he’s still fighting from an extreme uphill battle.

Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan all went to Trump by an aggregate of 73,000. Factor in time, turn out, the age of the voters that voted for him initially, voter dissatisfaction, Democratic turn out — and it becomes worse for him. 

He’ll probably keep Ohio, but Democrats are in the position of picking off Arizona, North Carolina and Iowa. 

Take away even one of those three rust belt states, (and I can assure you, he won’t get all three this time) — and the odds are stacked heavily against him. 

Aside from the fact that he’s the sitting President, I really don’t see any advantage that he has over his challengers. Especially if the economy  continues to spiral out of control. I think he’s already fucked himself out of Wisconsin and/Iowa with this Chinese Trade War. 

And they’ve got 4 years of a record to run on this time.

On the chance that he defies the odds again, he won’t win the popular vote, and you can pretty kiss the electoral college (at least in its current form, goodbye).

1 minute ago, Darth Sidious said:

Yeah — I mean, I’m allowing for the possibility that it’ll all come down to that again, but even if I take myself out of a Trump hating position, he’s still fighting from an extreme uphill battle.

Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan all went to Trump by an aggregate of 73,000. Factor in time, turn out, the age of the voters that voted for him initially, voter dissatisfaction, Democratic turn out — and it becomes worse for him. 

He’ll probably keep Ohio, but Democrats are in the position of picking off Arizona, North Carolina and Iowa. 

Take away even one of those three rust belt states, (and I can assure you, he won’t get all three this time) — and the odds are stacked heavily against him. 

Aside from the fact that he’s the sitting President, I really don’t see any advantage that he has over his challengers. Especially if the economy  continues to spiral out of control. I think he’s already fucked himself out of Wisconsin and/Iowa with this Chinese Trade War. 

And they’ve got 4 years of a record to run on this time.

On the chance that he defies the odds again, he won’t win the popular vote, and you can pretty kiss the electoral college (at least in its current form, goodbye).

Oh yeah, I completely agree. I don't think he'll win Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Michigan again. I think once the Democrats sift through the weaker candidates and throw their support behind a candidate (preferably Senator Warren), Trump's poll #s in battleground states will see a significant decline against them. I'm just wary that we would have a redo of 2016 due to outside election interference, low Democratic voter turnout, fear mongering etc. that occurred during that cycle. 

If Dump takes AZ, NC, IA, and either WI or MI with Dems taking FL (his poll #s are severely lacking) and WI or MI, Dump loses. 

Thankfully I live in SF so I'm in one of the most anti Dump areas in the country, but I'm still concerned about some's willingness to say Dems will easily win in 2020 . I like your analysis though!

10 minutes ago, Kenya said:

Oh yeah, I completely agree. I don't think he'll win Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Michigan again. I think once the Democrats sift through the weaker candidates and throw their support behind a candidate (preferably Senator Warren), Trump's poll #s in battleground states will see a significant decline against them. I'm just wary that we would have a redo of 2016 due to outside election interference, low Democratic voter turnout, fear mongering etc. that occurred during that cycle. 

If Dump takes AZ, NC, IA, and either WI or MI with Dems taking FL (his poll #s are severely lacking) and WI or MI, Dump loses. 

Thankfully I live in SF so I'm in one of the most anti Dump areas in the country, but I'm still concerned about some's willingness to say Dems will easily win in 2020 . I like your analysis though!

If I made it sound like it would be easy, I apologize, I didn’t mean to imply that. 

Because if even if we win, those 40 million or so people that voted for him will still be there ☠️

All I mean to say is that the board is totally different than 2016 — and Democrats have every discernible advantage. The coming of Trump might be the start of throwing out the old rule book, I don’t know, but if that’s the case — and all this talk is pissing in the wind.

We’ll have to wait and see I guess. 

Donald Trump has confirmed he is considering an attempt to buy Greenland for strategic reasons, though he said the idea is “not No1 on the burner”.

The US president’s interest, reportedearlier this week, was greeted internationally with widespread hilarity but with indignation in Greenland and Denmark.

The government of the semi-autonomous Danish territory insisted it was not for sale. The Danish prime minister called any discussion of a sale “absurd”.

Nonetheless, on Sunday White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow first confirmed the story in an interview, before Trump spoke to reporters as he left New Jersey to return from vacation to Washington.

Saying the “concept came up” and he was “looking at it”, the man who runs a notoriously leaky White House also questioned how the idea found its way to the press.

Trump sought to tie the idea of a US purchase of the world’s largest island – not including the continent of Australia – to his own area of professional expertise, saying it would be “essentially a large real estate deal”.

“Denmark essentially owns it,” he said. “We’re very good allies with Denmark, we protect Denmark like we protect large portions of the world. So the concept came up and I said, ‘Certainly I’d be.’ Strategically it’s interesting and we’d be interested but we’ll talk to them a little bit. It’s not No1 on the burner, I can tell you that.”

On Sunday, during a visit to Greenland, Danish prime minister Mette Frederiksen told the newspaper Sermitsiaq: “Greenland is not for sale. Greenland is not Danish. Greenland belongs to Greenland. I strongly hope that this is not meant seriously.”

In remarks to the Danish broadcaster DR, Frederiksen said: “It’s an absurd discussion, and [Greenland prime minister] Kim Kielsen has of course made it clear that Greenland is not for sale. That’s where the conversation ends.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/18/trump-considering-buying-greenland

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.