Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

dynxsty

Normani's Motivation received more attention and praise then Taylor Swift's Lover yet....

Im probably just looking in the wrong places but, I felt like Taylor's Lover made no noise compared to Normani's Motivation. Motivation was a #1 trending topic on Twitter and Youtube (still is). and got PRAISED by fellow peers. Pitchfork gave it a "Best New Track" rating (which is a big deal)... 

BUT... Lover debuts #1 on US Spotify with 1mil+ streams while Motivation debuts at #30 with 500k streams.... 

Lover is already pretty high on Spotifys "Todays Top Hits" playlist while Motivation is very low... this could be a factor. 

** I know this was probably expected but im still surprised by it. 

ANYWAY, Stream Motivation.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKXSh14svlQ

2 minutes ago, fab said:

Debuting at #1 is still a very impressive feat rav1 

Yeah absolutely! And good on her, I'm just saying that would be the likely reason why :P Taylor has a huge fanbase and is a big name among the GP

But she... didn’t make more noise? Perhaps it’s because you follow people who care about Normani and not Taylor — but everyone was talking about Lover as well (see: the fact that it trended right alongside Motivation), not to mention Lover has received pretty much unanimous acclaim from music critics, maybe even more than Motivation did tbh. You can easily see that Taylor’s tweets in the past couple days have 2-3x the engagement of Normani’s + Lover pulled bigger numbers on every platform, and numbers don’t lie.

But anyway I’m not really sure how this is shocking lol, Taylor is basically a veteran at this point (who has a massive fanbase) and Normani is just starting out. It’s pretty normal for people to hype up a new artist, doesn’t mean they’re going to smash out of the gate — it doesn’t work like that. Motivation will surely grow as she has essentially nowhere to go from here but up, which is already being seen as Motivation is pulling bigger numbers today than it did on its first day. So, I don’t really think you can compare the debut of a promotional single by a music veteran to a newcomer who just released their solo debut.

1 hour ago, Lover said:

But she... didn’t make more noise? Perhaps it’s because you follow people who care about Normani and not Taylor — but everyone was talking about Lover as well (see: the fact that it trended right alongside Motivation), not to mention Lover has received pretty much unanimous acclaim from music critics, maybe even more than Motivation did tbh. You can easily see that Taylor’s tweets in the past couple days have 2-3x the engagement of Normani’s + Lover pulled bigger numbers on every platform, and numbers don’t lie.

But anyway I’m not really sure how this is shocking lol, Taylor is basically a veteran at this point (who has a massive fanbase) and Normani is just starting out. It’s pretty normal for people to hype up a new artist, doesn’t mean they’re going to smash out of the gate — it doesn’t work like that. Motivation will surely grow as she has essentially nowhere to go from here but up, which is already being seen as Motivation is pulling bigger numbers today than it did on its first day. So, I don’t really think you can compare the debut of a promotional single by a music veteran to a newcomer who just released their solo debut.

I don't follow either tbh.... but I follow numerous pop culture blogs and Motivation has always been the topic of convo/the highlight of the day. Lover kinda mentioned once. again, that's just me though. im gonna assume that you follow Taylor more, you clearly would pay attention to Lover. But to a GP eye, Motivation was the most talked about and still is.

But, Motivation 100% had better acclaim from music reviewers... 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.