Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

PS4 or Xbox One?

So I went out and bought a PS4 today along with Red Dead Redemption II to go with it, which I was really looking forward to playing. After the normal debacle  of setting it up physically, I started using the system itself, and after getting through that I clicked on the game and there we go, right? No, it needs to load. Now, I know that the PS3 was pretty bad with loading as compared to the Xbox 360 or Wii, taking maybe around ten minutes for the initial loading of most games (or more for something like Heavy Rain), so I was expecting the load time on this to be either the same or better, since it is a newer console, after all. Turns out the initial load of Red Dead II is almost two hours.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

OK, I get that it's a bigger game and it needs more time to initialize, but HOLY FUCK TWO HOURS WHAT A SLAP IN THE FACE. I've got half a mind to just get an Xbox One instead, but I'm not sure if that would be substantially better with loading, and almost certainly even worse about connecting to the internet in order to play some games at all, since I have zero interest in that or playing anything online with racist 12 year olds. I remember buying Alien: Isolation for the 360 and it was pretty much like "yeah, fuck you, you gotta connect this to the internet". I know I sound like a grumbling grandpa here but I really can't stand that...

So if you have both, which do you think is better? Or even if you just have one, what are your pros and cons on it?

I have both, and to me the PS4 is WAYYY better, but the Xbox One X is by far the best console on the market. PS4? The pros are the huge selection of gamers, the cheaper price and more RPGs. Cons? Changing your name literally just came after nearly 15 years of PSN and it was kinda sad... and it was buggy as fuck too. I don't really have any other downsides other than typical Sony problems

5 minutes ago, Liam said:

Xbox One. interface is prettier, I find their game deals better and easier to control. PS4 has better exclusives tho

Yeah, that was the main reason I got the PS4, I knew that I wanted that Spider-Man game and some like Red Dead II and Mad Max were on both.

6 minutes ago, Jake said:

I have both, and to me the PS4 is WAYYY better, but the Xbox One X is by far the best console on the market. PS4? The pros are the huge selection of gamers, the cheaper price and more RPGs. Cons? Changing your name literally just came after nearly 15 years of PSN and it was kinda sad... and it was buggy as fuck too. I don't really have any other downsides other than typical Sony problems

What's your opinion of the initial loading? Like, long time for both or what?

Speaking of buggy, I was playing Skyrim for the first time recently on the PS3 (I know, I'm late) and I actually surprisingly love the game, but at one point my character got an arrow stuck in their head and it drove me nuts rip2 I tried resetting it but it had auto saved and I basically just had to wait for it to go away. It was hard to take the game seriously with an arrow jutting through their forehead rip3 

18 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

What's your opinion of the initial loading? Like, long time for both or what?

Speaking of buggy, I was playing Skyrim for the first time recently on the PS3 (I know, I'm late) and I actually surprisingly love the game, but at one point my character got an arrow stuck in their head and it drove me nuts rip2 I tried resetting it but it had auto saved and I basically just had to wait for it to go away. It was hard to take the game seriously with an arrow jutting through their forehead rip3 

The initial loading times can be annoying, but I don't have many huge games other than FFXV. The install times make the loading times non-existent for most games post installing so I don't really mind it that much.

16 minutes ago, Jake said:

The initial loading times can be annoying, but I don't have many huge games other than FFXV. The install times make the loading times non-existent for most games post installing so I don't really mind it that much.

OK, that's pretty cool. I guess Red Dead II is maybe not the best example for loading (I think the game is like 60 hours if im not mistaken rip2). Maybe Mad Max and some other games I want will be somewhat better with the initial load, I guess I probably wouldn't have been as appalled by that if I knew beforehand fall8 

PS4 always. 

Also I don't think I've ever had a problem with loading? You get the usual "this game is updating" but you can still start the game on the base update and then just refresh to install the update when downloaded. So that must be a thing for the game sis. 

56 minutes ago, RihannaRTT said:

PS4 always. 

Also I don't think I've ever had a problem with loading? You get the usual "this game is updating" but you can still start the game on the base update and then just refresh to install the update when downloaded. So that must be a thing for the game sis. 

Doesn't every game still have to initially load/install once though? Out of all the PS3 games I have, all of them had to be "installed" once for maybe a 10 minute period and then I could generally start them and the loading was mostly OK from there on (except for Shadow of Mordor - the loading on that was particularly gruelling), so I was assuming it would be the same thing but worse on PS4 when I popped RDR2 in. Granted, that one is probably longer than most.

1 minute ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Doesn't every game still have to initially load/install once though? Out of all the PS3 games I have, all of them had to be "installed" once for maybe a 10 minute period and then I could generally start them and the loading was mostly OK from there on (except for Shadow of Mordor - the loading on that was particularly gruelling), so I was assuming it would be the same thing but worse on PS4 when I popped RDR2 in. Granted, that one is probably longer than most.

i've never really had a problem tbh. But most of my games aren't the "typical gamer" games so that's maybe why. I don't think I've ever had to wait for any of my games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth, the Koei Warriors franchise etc. Maybe had to wait for Grand Theft Auto but I don't recall it being longer than 5-10 minutes. I just bought Tekken 7 the other day (got it for <£15 hihi) and I just popped it in and was ready to go. It didn't let me play all of the game coz it was downloading inside but I could play arcade mode without issue. 

I do remember the PS3 having long installation times though. 

17 minutes ago, RihannaRTT said:

i've never really had a problem tbh. But most of my games aren't the "typical gamer" games so that's maybe why. I don't think I've ever had to wait for any of my games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth, the Koei Warriors franchise etc. Maybe had to wait for Grand Theft Auto but I don't recall it being longer than 5-10 minutes. I just bought Tekken 7 the other day (got it for <£15 hihi) and I just popped it in and was ready to go. It didn't let me play all of the game coz it was downloading inside but I could play arcade mode without issue. 

I do remember the PS3 having long installation times though. 

That's good! I guess maybe fighting games are simpler then. I was talking to a friend of mine recently and I guess some of my favourite games are third person type ones (I'm pretty bad at first person!) and side scrolling games, although most of the latter are older games.

8 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Yeah, that was the main reason I got the PS4, I knew that I wanted that Spider-Man game and some like Red Dead II and Mad Max were on both.

definitely head for PS4 if ur more for the gaming experience. I can deal with the Xbox game collection because I really love the aesthetics/achievement system/party system

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.