Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Venus XCX

LISTENING PARTY LIVE: "Lover" First Impressions Thread

its a very good album.

by faves:

• Cruel Summer
  • Lover
  • The Archer
  • Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince
  • Paper Rings
  • You Need to Calm Down
  • Afterglow
  • ME! (tbqh it grew on me)
  • Daylight

i'll need a 2nd listen to have it grow on me. otherwise, half the album has a heart to it in mt iTunes. oprah14 

overall: good album, really liked jack antonoff's influence. better than reputation imo on first listen. i'll give it a bit more to digest but i'm really digging it so far, a few bum tracks but overall strong

On the first listen. I really enjoyed the album. Way more then I thought and more then reputation. I really like the overall production on the album. It’s more minimal compared to reputation (which isn’t a bad thing). I also love the 80s synths on the tracks. This is definitely has 1989 elements but obviously different then that album. But it’s s good body of work overall. It’s pretty impressive this far in her career she can still make a quality album 

10 minutes ago, Ghostface said:

How would you guys rank it among her other albums after initial listen? Does it really give pop Red 2.0? How does it stand to her pop albums?

I am still waiting to be surprised. jj2

This is absolutely Red 2.0 in my mind. I love it. It’s her best album on first listen in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, RepuTAYtion said:

This is absolutely Red 2.0 in my mind. I love it. It’s her best album on first listen in my opinion. 

Oh, that's lovely. oprah7 Everything pointed out it would turn out as the Red 2.0 considering first couple of care-free singles then The Archer and Lover rolled in and it already felt that it had many layers to it. 

Standout tracks?

Everyone here is naming Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince, Paper Rings and Soon You'll Get Better, so I am assuming those definitely belong among stronger ones. But what about the other favorites or soon to be favorites? jj2

i've just had the first full listen and it's really good but she WONT RISK ANYTHING

6803d85e1e3eabdd4980d87645da6c371c62addd

i was waiting for some twist and this is such a rehash of her whole career im mad

Paper Rings is super fresh in the context of this record, Cornelia Street is a cute bop, London Boy just hits me home hehe and False God's sax is great

for now it's

1. 1989

2. Red

3. Speak Now

4. reputation

5. Lover

6. Fearless

7. debut

52 minutes ago, Ghostface said:

How would you guys rank it among her other albums after initial listen? Does it really give pop Red 2.0? How does it stand to her pop albums?

I am still waiting to be surprised. jj2

1989>Speak Now> Reputation>Red>Lover

610004960590954506.png?v=1

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.