Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Venus XCX

LISTENING PARTY LIVE: "Lover" First Impressions Thread

Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince is perfectiongiveup2

This is Lana's Born To Die meeting Marina's Teen Idle meeting Lorde on Taylor's 1989. Whew...

Everything is so good. The best one here so far most definitely and I have a feeling it will be in my top 3 or at least top 5 off of the album. Whoa... antm1

So far

I Forgot That You Existed: it’s cute and minimalist but I’m waiting to see if it’s really the perfect opening song it was described as. I do enjoy it tho. 

Cruel Summer: a whole bop, 1989 reminiscent with a touch of rep (seems to be a running theme) you can def hear Annie’s song writing influence and I stan. Could’ve been the lead. 

Lover: I left this song until now AND BITCH this is the content I signed up for. 

The Man: ended men. Period. I really like the production. I think my expectations of this album were a bit skewed by the SS because I wasn’t expecting what I heard... 

The Archer: the best pre-release single.... I adore the production and the way it ends. 

I Think He Knows has just started and I really like the baseline so far, the verse melody... and now the chorus oh wow. The layering.... 

5 minutes ago, Ghostface said:

Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince is perfection. giveup2

This is Lana's Born To Die meeting Marina's Teen Idle meeting Lorde on Taylor's 1989. Whew...

Everything is so good. The best one here so far most definitely and I have a feeling it will be in my top 3 or at least top 5 off of the album. Whoa... antm1

tea 

6 minutes ago, Ghostface said:

Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince is perfectiongiveup2

You didn’t lie bebe1

19 minutes ago, Urbanov said:

Cruel Summer deserved 

I'm fine with either The Man or Cruel Summer but CS is like... the obvious hit rip4 of course, there's the issue that Jack is chart poison but the song just sounds like a hit more than The Man which is a bit more dated

Just now, Lover said:

I'm fine with either The Man or Cruel Summer but CS is like... the obvious hit rip4 of course, there's the issue that Jack is chart poison but the song just sounds like a hit more than The Man which is a bit more dated

The Man is just cringe dead1 the lyrics...

3 minutes ago, Urbanov said:

The Man is just cringe dead1 the lyrics...

Disagree! jj2 

It's not one of the best songs but I did not hate it as much as I thought I would. It's cute for what it is and I didn't cringe. I think the only songs that have made me cringe were ME! and YNTCD... maybe IFTYE and London Boy but the latter isn't that bad sonically so I forgive her nicki5 

I appreciate Paper Ring's kind of punkier, rock-ish vibe. Sonically, it reminds me of Story Of Us, but sweeter. I dig the chorus and it is definitely catchy.

It turns out Papers Rings is crushed between two giants of the album considering Cornelia Street is another perfection alongside Miss Americana. Tender instrumental, soft vocals. She really hit hard in the feelings on this one. So dreamy and lovely. Joe getting the best soundtrack of his life.

1 minute ago, Lover said:

Disagree! jj2 

It's not one of the best songs but I did not hate it as much as I thought I would. It's cute for what it is and I didn't cringe. I think the only songs that have made me cringe were ME! and YNTCD... maybe IFTYE and London Boy but the latter isn't that bad sonically so I forgive her nicki5 

IFTYE is a cute bop

Not sure if anyone else will agree with me but I actually feel like this is her most ambitious record production-wise? rih1 

It is nothing like I expected actually, it has more edge than I imagined. Some of the production elements are more unique than Reputation/1989 which were entirely formulaic and tailored to pop radio. Not to say this is her best record production-wise (Red outsold wbk) but I just found a lot of the productions quite different and interesting for her. Some songs also felt a bit rough (Cornelia Street) which I liked - again, her previous two records were TOO polished, I missed the bit of rawness her songs had... so... my take on the sound of the whole record.

I expected Death By A Thousand Cuts to hit harder and even though this chandelier clutching instrumental feels intriguing, it lefts something to be desired. Lyrically though, it's pretty strong. That second verse alone is lyrically PACKED. I like when she indulges in what if this turns out bad type of situations, like on Dancing With Our Hands Tied. 

2 minutes ago, Lover said:

Not sure if anyone else will agree with me but I actually feel like this is her most ambitious record production-wise? rih1 

It is nothing like I expected actually, it has more edge than I imagined. Some of the production elements are more unique than Reputation/1989 which were entirely formulaic and tailored to pop radio. Not to say this is her best record production-wise (Red outsold wbk) but I just found a lot of the productions quite different and interesting for her. Some songs also felt a bit rough (Cornelia Street) which I liked - again, her previous two records were TOO polished, I missed the bit of rawness her songs had... so... my take on the sound of the whole record.

I tend to agree even though I am ten songs in, but it feels way different of reputation and even though it draws connections from 1989 the most out of all previous records, it feels different  than that one too. Like more of the left field, but still poppy enough. 

Paper Rings and Cornelia Street both actually can be described like rougher, former one definitely. Cruel Summer and Miss Americana as well. 

I am just thinking how she is always getting at least a bit of progression and tends to indulge herself in something different each time. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.