Sign in to follow this  

What should have been the lead single to Lover?

Daenerys    62,489

ME! was the worst possible choice for the lead. We all know and accept this. I think even Taylord knows this.

But now that the album is out, what should have been the lead? And do you think it could have dethroned Old Town Road?

I feel like most will say Cruel Summer, but would it defeat OTR at the end of April?

cce2a5f0981a84baafb99ed4b979b836.gif

Jake    15,925

Cruel Summer is an absolute bop and a 10/10, but I don't think ANYTHING would've stopped OTR dead2 That shit was just too powerful.

I'd still lead off the album with Cruel Summer, but my second choice would be Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince. Cornelia Street is a contender too.

ParentalAdvisory    7,729

Cruel Summer 

and she should wait with Lover (the song) for winter 

i cant at her releasing Me as lead and lover during summer and we might get cruel summer during winter dead2 

Pauly Antonio    120

Obviously Cruel Summer but since summer is ending I don't think it'll do well with the GP. Her fans would eat it up anyway. I think Miss Americana would fit well for a single RIGHT NOW!! Its summery but cool at the same time lmaoo

Lover    179,130

I don’t actually think Cruel Summer would’ve made a good lead single. She should’ve pushed either I Think He Knows or Paper Rings in June as the lead, Cruel Summer with the album this week, and then Lover as the third single in October to get it started up for the holidays.

Nothing would’ve dethroned OTR though which is why CS should’ve been pushed this week alongside the album, as the second single. No YNTCD mess rip2  

Andrew!    12,451
4 minutes ago, RacconReputation said:

I like ME!tay11

But i think Miss Americana  should have been the lead single or The Man

Welcome to FOTP sweetheart! hug1 

Eclipsa    144

Cruel Summer definitely. I can also see I Think He Knows (more mainstream sound) or Cornelia Street (just a nice single choice and I can also see an easter-egg filled video like ME! for me it, tho I also see that type of video working with the other two).

Andrew!    12,451

I honestly don’t know. This era is so confusing to me fall1 

Sean    2,269

Me! should've been deleted the minute the studio played the final version

Cruel Summer for that summer hit 

Daenerys    62,489
57 minutes ago, Lover said:

I don’t actually think Cruel Summer would’ve made a good lead single. She should’ve pushed either I Think He Knows or Paper Rings in June as the lead, Cruel Summer with the album this week, and then Lover as the third single in October to get it started up for the holidays.

Nothing would’ve dethroned OTR though which is why CS should’ve been pushed this week alongside the album, as the second single. No YNTCD mess rip2  

YES! It would have been a great return single that people wouldn't have dragged hard like ME! It wouldn't have gone #1, so it could have been a sacrificial lead single that's still good and not panned by everyone.

And I agree with that as well. Cruel Summer now makes much more sense than as the lead. It's almost like she needed to plan the era around OTR and make this week the beginning of the era and lowkey use OTR's reign for promo single time. rip4 YNTCD promo single in June with video for gays since she clearly wanted to do that anyway.

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when her team was deciding what to release as the lead. Like, what was the winning argument for Me! that made everyone, including Taylor go, yeah that seems like the best choice. 

honeymoon    466

Me. The GP reacts badly to anything she does at first, so whatever the alternative would’ve been would’ve found itself at the butt of the joke. Me is a good single, and follows the formula of most of her leads.

Fletch    842

ME! since her leads are always lowkey shit anyway why break that tradition! tay2