Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

TomTom

Bebe Rexha describes awkward experience at Dr. Luke's home, thanks Pebe for talking her out of working with him

That nerve may also have saved her career – because it is not just the entertainment industry’s damaging attitude to her weight that has forced Rexha to put her gloves up. She’s had to fight to protect her talent from the music industry’s instinct to exploit her.

“When I first got to LA, I worked with a very big producer. He put me in a room with lots of other songwriters and engineers who all seemed high [on drugs]. One writer walked in and said, ‘Listen – you have no hits, but I have loads, so I’m going to go downstairs and party with my friends and you’re going to write a song, record the vocals and edit it. That will be our song that we wrote together.’”

That encounter happened at the home of producer Dr Luke, real name Lukasz Sebastian Gottwald, who had flown Rexha to LA for her big break.

Just a year later, his profile was raised when the singer Kesha filed a lawsuit against Gottwald citing numerous allegations, including emotional distress and employment discrimination. He filed a countersuit alleging defamation, and all claims were eventually dropped, with Kesha remaining in a recording contract with him that meant she didn’t release any music for four years.

When I ask her about Kesha, she says quite simply, “I was scared that could have been my situation. I remember being at a dinner party with [Kesha and her mother, Pebe Sebert]. Her mom came up to me and whispered, ‘Don’t do it.’ She was talking about working with Dr Luke. The music industry can be a dark place, and she could have been trying to stop me from getting in her daughter’s way. But I listened and honestly? Trusting her was the best thing I ever did.”

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/entertainment/a28674111/bebe-rexha-cosmopolitan-uk-october-cover/

this is so unsettling. Pebe is an angel tbh

also the thing she said about the songwriter making her write the song herself but having them both have credits makes me wonder just how much female artists who have collabed with this type of producers have actually written those songs by themselves wat3

16 minutes ago, Andrew! said:

We all need a Pebe angel cry7 

“Don’t do it”

It's why I miss MCBL so much cry0 

Her iconic personality really shined through on it 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.