Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

ParentalAdvisory

"13 Reasons Why" Star might play Prince Eric

I'm already not going to watch this movie even though I was very excited for it.

The reason not being that the cast is racially diverse. My problem is that I want a 1-1 live action of the original and I do want the live action version and its cast to look like the original cast. I'm sure the people they cast are going to do a wonderful job and all but it frustrates me that NOW they think they have to make the cast as diverse as possible when the fucking fairytale plays in Denmark 1873. It's so forced and then they had the audacity to cast white people in roles that were originally Asian, Arab or whatever. LET THE LIVE-ACTION VERSIONS STAY TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL FOR FUCKS SAKE.

3 hours ago, Madonna said:

I'm already not going to watch this movie even though I was very excited for it.

The reason not being that the cast is racially diverse. My problem is that I want a 1-1 live action of the original and I do want the live action version and its cast to look like the original cast. I'm sure the people they cast are going to do a wonderful job and all but it frustrates me that NOW they think they have to make the cast as diverse as possible when the fucking fairytale plays in Denmark 1873. It's so forced and then they had the audacity to cast white people in roles that were originally Asian, Arab or whatever. LET THE LIVE-ACTION VERSIONS STAY TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Can't wait for Ariel to be a Chinese woman gag1

I'm not here for shoehorning diversity into films/TV shows/plays. People from minority backgrounds deserve their own roles made for them alex1

2 hours ago, calethewhalee said:

So everyone else can play white roles, but white people cant play other roles? Lol, Not that I care much, just pointing out the hypocrisy of it all. 

Actually the issue is that white straight actors play basically every part. Is the character half Asian? "Great, Emma Stone can play her." Is the character transgender? "Awesome, Scarlett Johansson is the best choice, not like we have any transgender actor anyways lol." The main character is black? "Let's just whitewash a bit!" Asian male lead? "Wait, asian men can't really be sexy, let's just use them as a comedic tool." Is the character gay? "Well, straight actors are good, we don't really need to give gay actors a platform!"

I get that it's acting, and I also get that talented people can portray lots of characters, but let's be real, straight white actors get most of the parts.

Is is THAT important that the god damn little mermaid is black? She's a mermaid, for all I care she could be green and with 10 eyes, as long as she's a mermaid it doesn't matter to the story at all! Who the fuck cares about her skin-tone! Let other people identify with her, white people already have enough representation in the media as it is.

24 minutes ago, Arya said:

Actually the issue is that white straight actors play basically every part. Is the character half Asian? "Great, Emma Stone can play her." Is the character transgender? "Awesome, Scarlett Johansson is the best choice, not like we have any transgender actor anyways lol." The main character is black? "Let's just whitewash a bit!" Asian male lead? "Wait, asian men can't really be sexy, let's just use them as a comedic tool." Is the character gay? "Well, straight actors are good, we don't really need to give gay actors a platform!"

I get that it's acting, and I also get that talented people can portray lots of characters, but let's be real, straight white actors get most of the parts.

Is is THAT important that the god damn little mermaid is black? She's a mermaid, for all I care she could be green and with 10 eyes, as long as she's a mermaid it doesn't matter to the story at all! Who the fuck cares about her skin-tone! Let other people identify with her, white people already have enough representation in the media as it is.

Her race isn't actually the problem. It'd be perfectly fine if it was ANY movie with a female mermaid as the lead but it's supposed to be a live action version of the Disney movie. Meaning the character is supposed to portray this:

0be848a4-80e1-43b1-8252-b5b748dec26e_1.f4c3946f054d85eb372ca59e55558104.png?odnHeight=560&odnWidth=560&odnBg=FFFFFF

She ain't black. That's the thing. Why cast an actress that looks absolutely nothing like her for that role? I also wasn't a fan of Elle Fanning being cast in Maleficent cause she looked NOTHING like the cartoon character of Aurora. The race isn't the problem here. It's the fact that they try to put unnecessary twists to a simple live-action version of a cartoon.

54 minutes ago, Madonna said:

Her race isn't actually the problem. It'd be perfectly fine if it was ANY movie with a female mermaid as the lead but it's supposed to be a live action version of the Disney movie. Meaning the character is supposed to portray this:

0be848a4-80e1-43b1-8252-b5b748dec26e_1.f4c3946f054d85eb372ca59e55558104.png?odnHeight=560&odnWidth=560&odnBg=FFFFFF

She ain't black. That's the thing. Why cast an actress that looks absolutely nothing like her for that role? I also wasn't a fan of Elle Fanning being cast in Maleficent cause she looked NOTHING like the cartoon character of Aurora. The race isn't the problem here. It's the fact that they try to put unnecessary twists to a simple live-action version of a cartoon.

I guess to each his own, right? I'm just happy that many little girls are going to see themselves represented. But anyways, who even looks like Ariel? Why do you care so much that she's gonna be black? jj4

4 minutes ago, Arya said:

I guess to each his own, right? I'm just happy that many little girls are going to see themselves represented. But anyways, who even looks like Ariel? Why do you care so much that she's gonna be black? jj4

I don't care that she's black. I just want the live-action version to be close to the original and they're not doing that because there Disney and everyone and everyone's mom is shoehorning "diversity" into anything and everything but it's not genuine. It's forced.

2 minutes ago, Madonna said:

I don't care that she's black. I just want the live-action version to be close to the original and they're not doing that because there Disney and everyone and everyone's mom is shoehorning "diversity" into anything and everything but it's not genuine. It's forced.

Does it matter that it's forced though? So many little girls are going to be so happy to see a black little mermaid

Just now, Arya said:

Does it matter that it's forced though? So many little girls are going to be so happy to see a black little mermaid

Yes, it does matter. Especially because there already is diversity among the Disney Princesses.

Mulan - Asian

Pocahontas - Native American

Moana - Hawaiian

Jasmine - Arab

Tiana - African American

Ariel was the only ginger Princess, actually. What about the ginger girls that won't be able to identify with any of the Princesses? 

image.png.8a64c57fad84ee6144be2ace7ed54a58.png

2 hours ago, Madonna said:

Yes, it does matter. Especially because there already is diversity among the Disney Princesses.

Mulan - Asian

Pocahontas - Native American

Moana - Hawaiian

Jasmine - Arab

Tiana - African American

Ariel was the only ginger Princess, actually. What about the ginger girls that won't be able to identify with any of the Princesses? 

image.png.8a64c57fad84ee6144be2ace7ed54a58.png

She already has a movie though, doesn't she? It's just that it's a cartoon gag1

She's the only mythical creature, we can imagine her to be any race as long as she's a mermaid and still be true to the story, the other ones are actual humans with a set background, that's why Ariel in my opinion was the best choice for this, but as I said, to each his own. You have your opinion, I have mine, let's just agree to disagree.

My main problem with him is that he can’t act for shit! Anyone that’s watched even one episode of 13RW would know that! jj4 

Btw Halle looks like Ariel to me??? And she’s an amazing singer. She’ll do the role justice.

e8b8d87f-9f78-4ec6-94ec-3df94203c6dd.siz

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.