Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Chris

Trump administration readies ban on flavored e-cigarettes amid outbreak of vaping-related deaths

the only good thing that has come out of this tragic administration jj4 

The Trump administration is preparing to ban flavored e-cigarettes as federal health officials call for restrictions to combat an outbreak of a mysterious lung disease that has sickened hundreds and killed at least six people, U.S. health secretary Alex Azar told reporters Wednesday.

The Food and Drug Administration is currently finalizing its guidance to remove all non-tobacco flavors of e-cigarettes, including mint and menthol, from the market within 30 days. Companies might be able to reintroduce their flavors at a later date, so long as they submit a formal application and receive approval from the FDA.

Vaping companies like Juul have been criticized for hooking children on e-cigarettes with their fruity flavors like mango and creme. The surge in underaged vaping, which U.S. health officials have labeled as an “epidemic,” is one of the reasons why they plan to ban them — at least until the FDA can thoroughly review their safety, Azar said after meeting with President Donald Trump at the White House on the issue.

“The Trump Administration is making it clear that we intend to clear the market of flavored e-cigarettes to reverse the deeply concerning epidemic of youth e-cigarette use that is impacting children, families, schools and communities,” Azar, the Health and Human Services secretary, said in a statement. “We will not stand idly by as these products become an on-ramp to combustible cigarettes or nicotine addiction for a generation of youth.”

It could take the FDA several weeks to develop the guidelines, Azar told reporters outside the White House with acting FDA Commissioner Ned Sharpless.

Shares of Altria, which owns a 35% stake in e-cigarette company Juul, fell by less than 1% while competitors PMI Group, Japan Tobacco, British American Tobacco and Imperial Brands all rose by between 1% and 3% in midday trading.

Azar said they want to keep tobacco-flavored e-cigarettes on the market for adults who may be using them to quit smoking. The FDA has embraced e-cigarettes as a less harmful way for smokers to satisfy their nicotine addiction than smoking cigarettes. Skyrocketing numbers of minors started using the products, forcing the FDA to reverse course.

“If we find that children start surging into tobacco flavored e-cigarettes or if we find marketing practices that target children and try to attract them into tobacco flavored e-cigarettes, we will engage in enforcement actions there also,” he told reporters.

The FDA was supposed to start reviewing e-cigarettes, a relatively new market, last summer until former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb pushed back the review until 2022. The proposal outlined Wednesday essentially moves the FDA’s timeline to review flavors up to this year. All companies must submit applications in May 2020 per a federal court judge’s ruling issued in July.

Preliminary data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s annual survey of teens showed more than a quarter of high school students used e-cigarettes within the past 30 days, with the “overwhelming majority” saying they vaped fruit and menthol or mint flavors, HHS said in a press release.

The FDA is in the process of banning menthol cigarettes.

Regulators have blamed the teen vaping “epidemic” on one e-cigarette manufacturer in particular, Juul. The San Francisco-based company makes a sleek device and fruity flavors like mango, creme and fruit. Its cartridges pack a powerful punch, with one pod delivering as much nicotine as a pack of cigarettes. Former White House spokesman Josh Raffel joined Juul’s communications team last year.

Gottlieb labeled teen vaping an “epidemic” almost exactly a year ago. Under Gottlieb, the FDA moved to limit sales of fruity flavors to age-restricted stores, such as vape shops. Lawmakers and public health groups have urged the agency to do more, with Minority Whip Dick Durbin last week telling Sharpless to take “decisive action” or else resign.

“Finally, the FDA is doing its job,” Durbin said in a statement Wednesday.

American Vaping Association President Gregory Conley criticized the planned ban, saying in a statement it would “remove life-changing options from the market.”

Wednesday’s announcement comes as members of Congress increasingly pressure the administration to rein in the e-cigarette industry. The CDC is investigating more than 450 cases of lung disease officials suspect were caused by vaping.

Some officials have honed in on a vitamin E oil that’s been added to some THC vaping products as a possible cause. Regardless, the outbreak has fueled calls to restrict the e-cigarette industry amid what regulators are calling an “epidemic” of teen vaping.

Trump called on the FDA to get to the bottom of the outbreak.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/11/trump-to-consider-e-cigarette-policy-amid-outbreak-of-lung-disease.html

This is good and it's nice to see this administration doing something good for once and in a fairly timely fashion but like we can't get gun control??????????? This is fucking ridiculous. How many MORE people have to die than already have before this idiot will do something about it smh.

9 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Hmm.

Someone walks into a Walmart and indiscriminately guns down two dozen people. 

Some douche bag who chooses to harm himself, and only himself.

You know — I wonder which one would get more attention from the chief executive of the United States?

Lol. The amount of times people fall back on gun violence and blame the administration for "not doing anything" is hilarious and shows how ignorant people are to the other side. Let's focus on fixing our country's mental health epidemic before jumping the gun, pun unintended, to blaming guns and the administration on these issues.

We can't dismantle an amendment, one that was made during the founding of our country or even make changes to it without pissing off a large portion of America. The moment a change is made or guns are banned is when the real divide in the country will begin.

One problem is more complicated than the other, not to mention the two problems are not even related to one another. (So why even bring it up other than to try and unnecessarily drag Trump, since people like to do that... even if it has zero relation to the actual subject.) So let's get our heads out of our asses with the narrow-minded points of views and look at the bigger picture for once. If you fail to see and understand this, you're a part of the problem.

---

Anyway, it's a good they're doing something about this. When vaping became a big thing I always told people there will be health consequences down the road because you're putting WATER/OIL VAPOR in your LUNGS. Lmao. Like... How is this NOW just a problem we're noticing and are just now preparing for? Yikes.

49 minutes ago, trashbanjo said:

Lol. The amount of times people fall back on gun violence and blame the administration for "not doing anything" is hilarious and shows how ignorant people are to the other side. Let's focus on fixing our country's mental health epidemic before jumping the gun, pun unintended, to blaming guns and the administration on these issues.

We can't dismantle an amendment, one that was made during the founding of our country or even make changes to it without pissing off a large portion of America. The moment a change is made or guns are banned is when the real divide in the country will begin.

One problem is more complicated than the other, not to mention the two problems are not even related to one another. (So why even bring it up other than to try and unnecessarily drag Trump, since people like to do that... even if it has zero relation to the actual subject.) So let's get our heads out of our asses with the narrow-minded points of views and look at the bigger picture for once. If you fail to see and understand this, you're a part of the problem.

---

Anyway, it's a good they're doing something about this. When vaping became a big thing I always told people there will be health consequences down the road because you're putting WATER/OIL VAPOR in your LUNGS. Lmao. Like... How is this NOW just a problem we're noticing and are just now preparing for? Yikes.

Oh goodness. 

I’m all for political pragmatism, I don’t exactly advocate for the abolition or even alteration to the second amendment. I understand what the political repercussions will be if it’s fucked with, unlike many liberals. 

However, since he is the President of the United States, and the leader of his party, I find it odd that he has this reaction to Vaping related illnesses, but he doesn’t have it to mass shootings, or what causes them. The differences are stark and they are perfectly valid. They ARE related in that respect, and that is why people are drawing parallels to them.

You’ll notice how nothing has happened on the guns/mental health issue — but this Administration is throwing itself into this? 

I think people like you are just as responsible for the divisiveness. The system has clearly been corrupted, and when you encounter corruption, you apply change.

He did it here, he could certainly do it on the gun issue, or not even guns, in and of themselves, but mental health. Making it harder for crazy people to get weapons, and moreover, keep them. He could at least give approval to bringing some legislation, any legislation to the floor of the senate for a solid up and down vote. The fact that he's not doing it because even the slightest appearance of attempting to change/fix/alter/remedy the issue will damage him politically, but he'll tackle the weaker, politically neutral topics simply shows his character. 

You can view it through a singular lense if you wish, but no matter what dinner-table debate you throw at people: his reaction to vaping was "I must do something, people are dying.", his reaction to these shootings was to call Wayne LaPierre. 

Your ignorance, or even your willing blindness, to the fact that he'll measure shit like this on approval ratings and political viability is the reason that nothing changes. But by all means, push this line as far as it'll get you, because you're right, even the slightest bit of change upsets some people. 

2 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Oh goodness. 

I’m all for political pragmatism, I don’t exactly advocate for the abolition or even alteration to the second amendment. I understand what the political repercussions will be if it’s fucked with, unlike many liberals. 

However, since he is the President of the United States, and the leader of his party, I find it odd that he has this reaction to Vaping related illnesses, but he doesn’t have it to mass shootings, or what causes them. The differences are stark and they are perfectly valid. They ARE related in that respect, and that is why people are drawing parallels to them.

You’ll notice how nothing has happened on the guns/mental health issue — but this Administration is throwing itself into this? 

I think people like you are just as responsible for the divisiveness. The system has clearly been corrupted, and when you encounter corruption, you apply change.

He did it here, he could certainly do it on the gun issue, or not even guns, in and of themselves, but mental health. Making it harder for crazy people to get weapons, and moreover, keep them. He could at least give approval to bringing some legislation, any legislation to the floor of the senate for a solid up and down vote. The fact that he's not doing it because even the slightest appearance of attempting to change/fix/alter/remedy the issue will damage him politically, but he'll tackle the weaker, politically neutral topics simply shows his character. 

You can view it through a singular lense if you wish, but no matter what dinner-table debate you throw at people: his reaction to vaping was "I must do something, people are dying.", his reaction to these shootings was to call Wayne LaPierre. 

Your ignorance, or even your willing blindness, to the fact that he'll measure shit like this on approval ratings and political viability is the reason that nothing changes. But by all means, push this line as far as it'll get you, because you're right, even the slightest bit of change upsets some people. 

You mean, in order to protect his position, his own beliefs, while listening to the beliefs of the American people, especially those that got him into office, he's walking on egg shells on specific, and extremely sensitive, subjects but chooses to vocalize himself on subjects that can easily be agreed upon and thus force a quick resolution? How ghastly. Off with the heads of president and his administration! What a horrible person.

It's funny you say I'm ignorant, blind, and have this "singular lense" when your post literally mimics just that. 

You compare gun control to mental health because almost all mass shootings involve someone who was described as showing signs of diminishing and poor mental health.

Imagine being so narrow-minded and deadset on hating Trump to the point of delusion that you can't apply common sense or logic to situations like these.

However; I cannot disagree that corruption certainly exists within our government system. It's loud and obvious in some parts. No matter who won this past elecrion; more corruption would've unfolded and our country would still be in a state of divide.

I don't consider myself pro-Hillary or pro-Trump... I've always been pro-change. But this does not make me go about trash talking every little thing one party does. We need a change in our government and ASAP. The reason for our second amendment is to defend ourselves, including defending ourselves against our own government. We were meant to revolt against a corrupted government, basically revolutionize America again. (And again, if it reached that point... again. Lmao.)

4 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Oh goodness. 

Well put.

13 hours ago, trashbanjo said:

the 2nd amendment was supposed to be used when the administration isnt doing what it should be doing. its for the country's militia. not for crazy people to use these weapons against innocent people just cos theyre mad at something.

9 minutes ago, calethewhalee said:

Lmao seriously? They’re banning vapes because children are dying. Are children dying from cigs?

alcohol kills thousands of people each year (children included), why isnt that banned? cigs may not INSTANTLY kill people, but its the culprit behind millions of deaths each year. vaping kills a couple of people and trump wants them banned but yet alcohol, cigs, and guns, who are responsible (directly AND indirectly) for literally thousands of deaths remain legal um1 make it make sense

6 minutes ago, Gilly said:

alcohol kills thousands of people each year (children included), why isnt that banned? cigs may not INSTANTLY kill people, but its the culprit behind millions of deaths each year. vaping kills a couple of people and trump wants them banned but yet alcohol, cigs, and guns, who are responsible (directly AND indirectly) for literally thousands of deaths remain legal um1 make it make sense

Alcohol doesn’t kill people.. 

people who misuse alcohol might end up dying...

Theyre looking into vaping because we still don’t know much about it and what it’s doing to lungs. Just needs to be regulated and figured out.

Like HOW is this not a good thing? People will literally complain just to complain. Yeah I get there’s other things out there that need work, but this is also one of them, and they addressed it. Shouldn’t it be celebrated??! LOL. I’m not a trump supporter but holy hell, he can’t do anything without people jumping down his throat because it’s not good enough. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.