Dennis Reynolds

HBO plans second Game of Thrones prequel series centered around Targaryens

Fans might not have seen the final dragon soaring over Westeros.

HBO is nearing a pilot commitment for a prequel series based on the “Game of Thrones” companion book “Fire & Blood,” sources have confirmed to Variety. The book tells stories of previous Targaryen kings, like Aegon the Conqueror, the first ruler of Westeros, and Aegon the Dragonbane, all of whom are ancestors of Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) and Jon Snow (Kit Harington) who appear in the recently finished mega-hit series.

The prospective pilot hails from Martin and “Colony” co-creator and executive producer Ryan Condal, and would be set 300 years before the events of the original series, exploring the beginning of the end for House Targaryen.

Fans might not have seen the final dragon soaring over Westeros.

HBO is nearing a pilot commitment for a prequel series based on the “Game of Thrones” companion book “Fire & Blood,” sources have confirmed to Variety. The book tells stories of previous Targaryen kings, like Aegon the Conqueror, the first ruler of Westeros, and Aegon the Dragonbane, all of whom are ancestors of Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) and Jon Snow (Kit Harington) who appear in the recently finished mega-hit series.

The prospective pilot hails from Martin and “Colony” co-creator and executive producer Ryan Condal, and would be set 300 years before the events of the original series, exploring the beginning of the end for House Targaryen.

HBO declined comment. Author George R. R. Martin had previously hinted via his blog that one of the prequel series would be based on the companion book.

The cabler originally announced that five spinoff series were in the works. The only other one to be moving forward to date is set thousands of years before the original series and will star Naomi Watts in a leading role. That series, which is currently in post-production, will plunge into its darkest hour after the Age of Heroes ended long ago. Martin informally referred to the series as “The Long Night” in a blog post, alluding to the winter that lasted a generation nearly 10,000 years ago, and caused widespread terror and famine. The show will explore the origins of the White Walkers, the mysteries of Essos and the legends of the early Stark family.

The rest of the cast for that other series includes Josh Whitehouse, Miranda Richardson, Naomi Ackie, Denise Gough, and Jamie Campbell Bower. Jane Goldman will serve as showrunner and co-created the series with Martin, and S.J. Clarkson will direct the pilot and executive produce.

Deadline first reported the development news.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/game-of-thrones-targaryen-prequel-series-in-the-works-at-hbo-1203334348/

12 minutes ago, Simón. said:

The way I am not hyped at all even if Targaryen is my favorite house.

Not really related to anything, but I just started the first Knights of the Old Republic game for the first time, I know you mentioned it recently and I was wondering who your character was in that?

Have so many mixed feelings on this. It's hard to be fully excited when you already know how horribly the house ends. 

insta.thumb.gif.4f94313a4e1f308a1ccb6674

Aegon is so gonna have a monologue that is filled with so much promise for House Targaryen and then all viewers will realize it's for nothing since D&D made sure to ruin all hope.

29 minutes ago, Daenerys said:

Have so many mixed feelings on this. It's hard to be fully excited when you already know how horribly the house ends. 

Aegon is so gonna have a monologue that is filled with so much promise for House Targaryen and then all viewers will realize it's for nothing since D&D made sure to ruin all hope.

Well, you never know. Since they're aware of the ultimate ending from the get go, they might be able to expand on their tragedy or deepen the why of that family's issues. Or you could just pretend it's about the Schmarschmaryens...

33 minutes ago, Daenerys said:

Well, I'm a believer that Drogon took Daenerys to Volantis to be resurrected by a red priest. However, I doubt we'll ever know since there probably won't be no sequel.

16 minutes ago, Normani said:

Well, I'm a believer that Drogon took Daenerys to Volantis to be resurrected by a red priest. However, I doubt we'll ever know since there probably won't be no sequel.

Wow, all right, I still haven't watched season 8 yet, but maybe it's even worse than people are saying if it could've potentially ended with:

INT. CHAMBER OF THE RED PRIEST - NIGHT.

RED PRIEST: This has not been attempted for centuries, I am not sure if-

DROGON roars in a threatening manner.

RED PRIEST - Very well.

TIME CUT. DANY rises from the slab, breathing heavily.

DAENERYS - Drogon?...

Drogon roars triumphantly.

DAENERYS - If they would not surrender the throne to me...we shall craft a new one from their charred bones...

THE END?

3 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Wow, all right, I still haven't watched season 8 yet, but maybe it's even worse than people are saying if it could've potentially ended with:

INT. CHAMBER OF THE RED PRIEST - NIGHT.

RED PRIEST: This has not been attempted for centuries, I am not sure if-

DROGON roars in a threatening manner.

RED PRIEST - Very well.

TIME CUT. DANY rises from the slab, breathing heavily.

DAENERYS - Drogon?...

Drogon roars triumphantly.

DAENERYS - If they would not surrender the throne to me...we shall craft a new one from their charred bones...

THE END?

That would've been cool. Would've made half of the season useless, but it'd been cool.