Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Divine

SNL fires new cast member for past insensitive jokes

Saturday Night Live” is officially cutting ties with Shane Gillis.

“After talking with Shane Gillis, we have decided that he will not be joining ‘SNL,'” an “SNL” spokesperson on behalf of Lorne Michaels said in a statement. “We want SNL to have a variety of voices and points of view within the show, and we hired Shane on the strength of his talent as comedian and his impressive audition for SNL. We were not aware of his prior remarks that have surfaced over the past few days. The language he used is offensive, hurtful and unacceptable. We are sorry that we did not see these clips earlier, and that our vetting process was not up to our standard.”

Gillis posted his own statement on Twitter regarding NBC’s decision on Monday. It reads, “It feels ridiculous for comedians to be making serious public statements but here we are. I’m a comedian who was funny enough to get SNL. That can’t be taken away. Of course I wanted an opportunity to prove myself at SNL, but I understand it would be too much of a distraction. I respect the decision they made. I’m honestly grateful for the opportunity. I was always a mad tv [sic] guy anyway.”

Gillis was one of three new cast members announced last week for the long-running NBC sketch comedy show’s upcoming 45th season. But shortly thereafter, clips began circulating from Gillis’ podcasts and other media in which he repeatedly used racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language. In a widely-shared clip from “Matt and Shane’s Secret Podcast,” Gillis and co-host Matt McClusker are discussing New York’s Chinatown when Gillis says, “Let the f—ing ch-nks live there.” He later recalls a restaurant being “full of f—ing Chinee [sic] in there.”

In a separate podcast, “Ep 144 – A.I. is Racist,” Gillis and McCusker make fun of Asian accents about 22 minutes and 20 seconds in, referring to the video game “Clash of Clans” as “Crash of Crans” in a mock Chinese accent.

A little more than 21 minutes into “Ep 146 – Live from Shane’s Parent’s Basement,” while talking about the Battle of Gettysburg, Gillis refers to soldiers yelling as “so gay.” About 29 minutes into the podcast, Gillis uses the word “retard,” and “f-ggot,” and shortly afterward he and McCusker joke about “hot Southern boys” being raped during the Civil War, comparing it to “having gay sex in jail.”

Bye RAT! lmfao1 

tenor.gif?itemid=6021175

Did he even have the chance to apologize? I believe he has apologized? Plus he's a comedian, so I wouldn't have taken his jokes very seriously to beging with. This reminds me of the whole Roseanne situation... Did SNL casting seriously not look into this guy's past content before hiring him? They're the ones that just end up looking like clowns.

Cancel culture is so fucking tired... Especially when we have WAY worse things happening in this country to be worrying about then what a fucking new-hire SNL cast member said 10 years ago.

20 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

Cancel culture is so fucking tired... Especially when we have WAY worse things happening in this country to be worrying about then what a fucking new-hire SNL cast member said 10 years ago.

it was actually last year that he made the comments, if you read the article gaga3 

21 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

Did he even have the chance to apologize? I believe he has apologized? Plus he's a comedian, so I wouldn't have taken his jokes very seriously to beging with. This reminds me of the whole Roseanne situation... Did SNL casting seriously not look into this guy's past content before hiring him? They're the ones that just end up looking like clowns.

The dude made jokes calling Asians Chinks and said they put processed MSG into their foods.

he also mocked asians way of pronouncing words.

Everything he said was not funny. Negative, Racist remarks are not funny period. 

1 minute ago, Merryem said:

it was actually last year that he made the comments, if you read the article gaga3 

He obviously didn’t watch anything and used this opportunity to bitch and cry about “Cancel Culture”, lmao

8 minutes ago, Kyoteki said:

He obviously didn’t watch anything and used this opportunity to bitch and cry about “Cancel Culture”, lmao

I actually just don't fucking care,

Because while you guys bitch and whine about a comedian saying racist things, we have an actual white supremacist in the white house who says racist things every fucking day.

There are more important things to be worried about.

Focus your energy in to something actually fucking important. A comedian saying racist shit? Groundbreaking.

We have MULTIPLE Supreme Court Justices accused of RAPED

We have a President who is separating children from their parents at the border

We have police officers who are still on duty even after they murder innocent civilians like Mike Brown.

And THIS is your main concern? Someone making poor comments in the past? wtf does that have to do with anything.

And that’s not to say he shouldn’t apologize and own up, because the fact he didnt immediately come out and go “I’m sorry for what I said and for my offensive language. I had no ill intentions and will be moving forward with my career more carefully”. But gurl, learn some PRIORITIES. 

Cancel culture is disgusting and frankly hypocritical because the same people it defends are some of the messiness people

sorry not sorry

36 minutes ago, Kyoteki said:

The dude made jokes calling Asians Chinks and said they put processed MSG into their foods.

he also mocked asians way of pronouncing words.

Everything he said was not funny. Negative, Racist remarks are not funny period. 

And the person he attacked, Andrew Yang, called for people to not “cancel” him, accepted his apologetic statement, and asked to meet with the comedian. 

If the person the comment was directed at isn’t offended and saying harsh words, you, someone who had no involvement, shouldn’t even care. 

I’ll just point out that with people like President Trump in power, who’s mated the Tea Party and Christian Evangelicals, it’s now more important than ever to rip this shit out the culture.

His election has given Anti-Politically Correct douchebags the idea that it’s okay to talk like this, to think like this, that it’s cool

Yes, politics are a dumpster fire right now, but it can be fixed. If we start giving on the culture, then it’ll be harder to fix the politics. 

9 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

I’ll just point out that with people like President Trump in power, who’s mated the Tea Party and Christian Evangelicals, it’s now more important than ever to rip this shit out the culture.

His election has given Anti-Politically Correct douchebags the idea that it’s okay to talk like this, to think like this, that it’s cool

Yes, politics are a dumpster fire right now, but it can be fixed. If we start giving on the culture, then it’ll be harder to fix the politics. 

This kind of humor isn't particularly my taste, and I don't think anything he said was funny; however, before the rise of social media, comedians often got a pass for this stuff because they are comedians, and comedians are supposed to say outrageous things and cross the line. I don't have a problem that our culture is more socially aware of these things, it's just that the INSTANT response is to cancel a person and not give them a chance to grow, apologize, and move forward. I seriously DOUBT this guy meant to hurt or offend anyone: meanwhile, the Trump administration does mean to harm minority communities every single day with their actions. For me, it's all about intentions. For example, Kevin Hart's comments that were brought to light earlier this year weren't a huge problem to me until I saw how he responded to them. It definitely makes you question his intentions.

57 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

Thanks for the correction, but the article doesn't state anywhere when the podcasts were made. I did in fact read the OP. gaga3

whoops it was in one of the links that the article linked gaga3 

33 minutes ago, The Hawaiian Queen said:

We have MULTIPLE Supreme Court Justices accused of RAPED

We have a President who is separating children from their parents at the border

We have police officers who are still on duty even after they murder innocent civilians like Mike Brown.

And THIS is your main concern? Someone making poor comments in the past? wtf does that have to do with anything.

And that’s not to say he shouldn’t apologize and own up, because the fact he didnt immediately come out and go “I’m sorry for what I said and for my offensive language. I had no ill intentions and will be moving forward with my career more carefully”. But gurl, learn some PRIORITIES. 

Cancel culture is disgusting and frankly hypocritical because the same people it defends are some of the messiness people

sorry not sorry

sis no one is prioritizing this and also ppl can focus on different things at the same time gag1

he said some nasty shit and funnily enough suffered the consequences. it's not like his career is over, he has no entitlement to be on snl nicki5 

People are so damn stupid and act as if humans have a one track mind. 

Not only that, they expect us to change something in the government, like we HAVEN’T been trying

Just say you’re okay with racism and move on.

”tHeRe aRe MoRe ImPORTant ThInGS tO BItCh aboUT” 

shut the fuck up, lmao. We can drag The Government AND fat jar of mayonnaise at the same time. Benefits of being a human on the internet. 

2 hours ago, The Hawaiian Queen said:

And the person he attacked, Andrew Yang, called for people to not “cancel” him, accepted his apologetic statement, and asked to meet with the comedian. 

If the person the comment was directed at isn’t offended and saying harsh words, you, someone who had no involvement, shouldn’t even care. 

It still was fucking racist period. 

No matter who it was directed to 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.