Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Liam

Non-binary pronoun 'they' added to dictionary

1 hour ago, Kirjava said:

Hasn't 'they' been always used to refer to someone of an unspecified gender tho? But slay anyway.

I guess that's why nonbinary people took it as their pronoun- However, in this case it's not that there's an unspecified gender (aka you don't know the gender of the individual), it's that the individual doesn't identify with any gender (here you know that they're nonbinary). It might seem similar but it's not.

22 minutes ago, Normani said:

I guess that's why nonbinary people took it as their pronoun- However, in this case it's not that there's an unspecified gender (aka you don't know the gender of the individual), it's that the individual doesn't identify with any gender (here you know that they're nonbinary). It might seem similar but it's not.

Yeah, I checked the page they linked, and the 3rd definition is the unspecified gender and the 4th is the non-binary. moo1 It's cool it gets its own thing.

6 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

People just have different opinions. It's not that people want to intentionally be disrespectful.

Thinking that someone's gender identity isn't valid or is "bullshit" just because it wasn't recognized until recently does not equal an opinion, honestly. dead2

2 hours ago, Maria said:

Thinking that someone's gender identity isn't valid or is "bullshit" just because it wasn't recognized until recently does not equal an opinion, honestly. dead2

You can believe that and still respect people's pronouns. shrug1 plenty of people don't "believe" in non-binary gender identity, and it's simply based and rooted in in science and biology. I personally think there needs to be more research and studies on people who identify as non-binary. A user in the thread in NHB said it perfectly, their username escapes me but it summed up how I feel, which is I feel non-binary, genderfluid, etc just adds fuel to the fire to gender stereotypes. We need to be more accepting of people who don't fit the molds of gender stereotypes. A woman who is masculine and a man who is feminine shouldn't be a problem and should be accepted. I feel like alot more people would be okay with identifying as their assigned sex at birth if society didn't frown so much on those who don't fit the molds. You don't have to identify as "non-binary" because you don't feel like you fit either of the molds society has presented you. Just be yourself, dress how you want, your gender expression doesn't matter. Whether you are a man or a woman, it shouldn't be a problem if you aren't experiencing gender/body dysmorphia, which is a different story.

Honestly.. if I’m being honest.. I think people on either side of this argument need to be more understanding and less cut throat.. You should always try to see the other side of the argument, and if someone has a disagreement, you probably shouldn’t tell them to choke.. lol. Js. I myself personally don’t fully get it, but if that’s something that someone wants to identify with.. sure. Go for it. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.