Jump to content

Safe Space for People Who Don't Like Boring Didn't Chartwell

Recommended Posts

Modern Woman    11,548

This album makes Honeysnooze sound like a collection of bangers eve1 It comes to something when the most accessible song is a cover eve1

I thought this was going to be Ultraviolence 2.0 but even that level of pessimism was not enough rip1

Most of the songs are indistinguishable from one another and the majority of the album is on the same note. She seems to have run out of ideas and went to the Bumper Book of Lana Tropes for inspiration. Sadly, her self-referencing is less of a knowing wink and more of a possible stroke situation.

Even the cover is dreadful. The CD booklet is dreadful. The poster is dreadful.

She served with the Doin' Time video - that's about it for this era.

And yet, the critics are lapping it up - but WBK that they stan mediocrity. The comparisons to Carole King are tew much jj4 More like Carol Burnett on a wet weekend.

Does anyone else feel me, or have you all been sucked in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gravity    889

I feel like this is her best album because she's actually telling a story and she and the music seem a lot more mature. The production of the songs is so clean that you have to concentrate on every word she's saying and it feels like you're with her in the room. I think it's a more intimate album.

The other Lana albums I've listened to either talked about disparagingly with no coherent story ( BTD) or I couldn't hear anything cuz the music totally drowned her out (Ultraviolence). 

It just grabs you from first words and listen and it almost made my cry and I've only listen to a Lana album once before NFR so I'm not exactly the biggest stan. The critics did great by giving it a high score because it's really amazing. 

And the cover is beautiful and fits the album. Could have done without those fonts who don't fit.xtina11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Venus XCX    10,165

If one month later you think the songs still sound the same you've probably listened twice nicki5 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ajp    9,435

“Carol Burnett on a wet weekend” gag1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ghostface    7,653

Well, I wouldn't agree. First things first, I don't see how Norman Fucking Rockwell makes Honeymoon a collection of bangers when the later is her "calmest" album to date. While I do appreciate Honeymoon and think it is transforming in very fine workpiece, Norman Fucking Rockwell actually borrows more of an energy from Ultraviolence ( in terms of songs where she is feeling out of touch and contact with certain someone like in California while also getting some dash from that album ) and a lot positive and lighter themes from Lust For Life ( which is considered her lightest up until that point of her career ) and while I think she didn't match intensity of the former, she felt more inspired in many of the songs in comparison to the later. In my opinion, Mariners Apartment Complex, Venice Bitch and Cinnamon Girl are something new for her and feel like sound she is perfectly comfortable with doing and it works. It feels really fresh. Fuck It, I Love You, The Greatest, Love Song, California are other strong examples and I fail to see how they are not distinguishable from each other both instrumentally and in certain themes ( even though they do share similar sentiments, which is expected anyway ). And I think one of the stronger elements is her tendency to capture certain situation or feeling giving it concrete place in space and time ( like buying a truck in Bartender ) and making it one of the remarkable moments in each of the songs. Also, she is more tongue-in-the cheek with this album ( you fucked me so good that I almost said "I Love You"; and if I wasn't so fucked up, I think I'd fuck all the time; he was cool as heck ( not actually strong moment, but serves the point ); complete outro of The Greatest, etc ) which I think managed to make it more interesting and sincere. Not that she wasn't doing those things on former albums, she did, but she is here more relaxed and kind of indifferent in face of things spiralling out of control. Still tense, not too much like on Ultravilence, not as sad as on Honeymoon, but maybe even brighter and more realistic and comfortable than on Lust For Life. 

Maybe giving it few more shots will make you appreciate it more. Not every album is instantly liked by everyone. Some need to dedicate more listens to the album, some people find it captivating after first two listens. Everything is relative in that context. And if you still find it not up your lane, well, that's fine as well of course. At least, you got Doin' Time certified. jj2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madonna    39,576
8 hours ago, Modern Woman said:

This album makes Honeysnooze sound like a collection of bangers eve1 It comes to something when the most accessible song is a cover eve1

I thought this was going to be Ultraviolence 2.0 but even that level of pessimism was not enough rip1

Most of the songs are indistinguishable from one another and the majority of the album is on the same note. She seems to have run out of ideas and went to the Bumper Book of Lana Tropes for inspiration. Sadly, her self-referencing is less of a knowing wink and more of a possible stroke situation.

Even the cover is dreadful. The CD booklet is dreadful. The poster is dreadful.

She served with the Doin' Time video - that's about it for this era.

And yet, the critics are lapping it up - but WBK that they stan mediocrity. The comparisons to Carole King are tew much jj4 More like Carol Burnett on a wet weekend.

Does anyone else feel me, or have you all been sucked in?

Nah I actually feel the same way about it.

I don't think it's worse than Honeymoon but the minimalism turns me off a lot. Lana's voice isn't strong enough to carry a song on its own. If the lyrics were somewhat innovative it probably wouldn't be as dreadful but it's, as you correctly pointed out, the same assembly of Lana tropes from her magnetic poetry kit. This whole "pop girl going country/folk" shtick is as tired as I get after listening to Honeymoon from beginning to end. She didn't have to jump on that bandwaggon but she did. The sad thing is, she could have actually gotten a really good album out of collaborating with Jack. He is somewhat hit and miss though and for Lana, it was definitely a miss. Love Song, Happiness is a Butterfly, California, Bartender, Hope are mostly indistinguishable cause they are all essentially forgettable and just Lana singing on a few piano chords with some jingles here and there. 

To think we waited this long for an album as mediocre as this is really annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lachlan    18,341

It truly might be her best album huh. bebe1 I can't believe she BLESSED us like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Urbanov    46,848
14 hours ago, Madonna said:

Nah I actually feel the same way about it.

I don't think it's worse than Honeymoon but the minimalism turns me off a lot. Lana's voice isn't strong enough to carry a song on its own. If the lyrics were somewhat innovative it probably wouldn't be as dreadful but it's, as you correctly pointed out, the same assembly of Lana tropes from her magnetic poetry kit. This whole "pop girl going country/folk" shtick is as tired as I get after listening to Honeymoon from beginning to end. She didn't have to jump on that bandwaggon but she did. The sad thing is, she could have actually gotten a really good album out of collaborating with Jack. He is somewhat hit and miss though and for Lana, it was definitely a miss. Love Song, Happiness is a Butterfly, California, Bartender, Hope are mostly indistinguishable cause they are all essentially forgettable and just Lana singing on a few piano chords with some jingles here and there. 

To think we waited this long for an album as mediocre as this is really annoying.

Imagine being this wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jake    16,463

Bye this album is a highlight of her discography dead2 Not everything needs to be a bop to be listenable. Born to Die has been put to rest YEARS ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hunty Bear    11,832
16 minutes ago, Jake said:

Not everything needs to be a bop to be listenable

let's also not forget that her last album was full of "bops" and half of it wasn't listenable gag1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madonna    39,576
3 hours ago, Jake said:

Bye this album is a highlight of her discography dead2 Not everything needs to be a bop to be listenable. Born to Die has been put to rest YEARS ago

It might be to some of you. In my opinion it is easily her most forgettable and that has nothing to do with the lack of "bops". I'm not a BTD stan...but I think that NFR is a disappointing body of work due to its minimalistic production and the lack of variation in chord progressions (which is why many of the songs sound so similar). Aside from that, she's blatantly recycling the same old Lana tropes in this album and barely changes it up.

It doesn't stand out to me, sorry. Its certainly not as bad or uninspired as Honeymoon but it's definitely not as enjoyable as the other three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modern Woman    11,548
On 9/28/2019 at 11:30 PM, Madonna said:

Nah I actually feel the same way about it.

I don't think it's worse than Honeymoon but the minimalism turns me off a lot. Lana's voice isn't strong enough to carry a song on its own. If the lyrics were somewhat innovative it probably wouldn't be as dreadful but it's, as you correctly pointed out, the same assembly of Lana tropes from her magnetic poetry kit. This whole "pop girl going country/folk" shtick is as tired as I get after listening to Honeymoon from beginning to end. She didn't have to jump on that bandwaggon but she did. The sad thing is, she could have actually gotten a really good album out of collaborating with Jack. He is somewhat hit and miss though and for Lana, it was definitely a miss. Love Song, Happiness is a Butterfly, California, Bartender, Hope are mostly indistinguishable cause they are all essentially forgettable and just Lana singing on a few piano chords with some jingles here and there. 

To think we waited this long for an album as mediocre as this is really annoying.

Not us agreeing about Lana for once cry6

"Magnetic poetry kit" fall9

When I heard she was working with Jack Antichrist I thought we'd be in for bops a la Lorde (Melodrama was rather Lana-ish in parts...). I didn't expect the album to be 90% filler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modern Woman    11,548
On 9/28/2019 at 4:15 PM, ajp said:

“Carol Burnett on a wet weekend” gag1

I didn't think anyone would pick up on that reference, but I'm not at all surprised that it was you who did yas2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ajp    9,435
3 hours ago, Modern Woman said:

I didn't think anyone would pick up on that reference, but I'm not at all surprised that it was you who did yas2

Only me and madonna mad5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madonna    39,576
11 hours ago, ajp said:

Only me and madonna mad5

I didn't pick up on it but I would love to understand it! jj2 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ajp    9,435
14 minutes ago, Madonna said:

I didn't pick up on it but I would love to understand it! jj2 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Browsing now   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×