Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Miss Show Business

Ellen Dragged for FILTH for Friendship With George Bush

2 hours ago, Kenya said:

Looks like you spent all your time just viewing the headline and copying the links rather than reading them oprah3

In NONE of the articles you provided does it share any detail of them meeting one another in a casual setting as friends but rather as those who have shared the same office. Each of those events they gathered for were in a professional capacity + a funeral. It's significantly different then Ellen and George and once again that was an expectation of a President and First Lady to engage with the former one. Every picture in every article he's meeting them on official matters those exchanges are not comparable to him and Ellen.

Do you get it now?

1 hour ago, who is you, chiron? said:

Looks like you spent all your time just viewing the headline and copying the links rather than reading them oprah3

In NONE of the articles you provided does it share any detail of them meeting one another in a casual setting as friends but rather as those who have shared the same office. Each of those events they gathered for were in a professional capacity + a funeral. It's significantly different then Ellen and George and once again that was an expectation of a President and First Lady to engage with the former one. Every picture in every article he's meeting them on official matters those exchanges are not comparable to him and Ellen.

Do you get it now?

The context of the way they are meeting is obviously different, but the relationship between the two is not that different. If we based the depth and legitimacy of people's relationships only on when they are photographed, how many Presidents would we consider to not have many (if any) friends? They are not required to interact with each other, sit next to each other at every single public event, or even speak to each other, but yet they do. They've been on the record many times speaking very highly of each other, so to infer that their relationship is nothing more than official/professional is disingenuous.  If that's not something you are able to understand, that sounds like a personal problem. 

As was stated before, Bush may have been a terrible president but I don't think he's a terrible person. This isn't a political thing, they're just friends. There are plenty of cross partisan friendships. Hell, the Obamas are both pretty great friends with Bush and his wife. I'm not at all a supporter of Bush's presidency, or his party in general. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't speak to the man, wouldn't be in his presence. I can see where it may be a bit problematic concerning her status among the community, but really Bush wasn't the one was staunchly homophobic, that was Dick Cheyney. It doesn't excuse his bad decisions both politically and morally as a president, but to drag someone for an innocent friendship is just juvenile. Cancel culture's really gotta get a life. 

To say something like "people can be friends and get along despite differences in political beliefs" is to announce to the world "I am of a high enough class and privilege that I can ignore the effects that enactments of political ideologies and laws have on the lives of millions of people, because it doesn't personally affect me."

Don't get me started on "you can be kind to everyone!" either. How is it wrong for a group of people who have suffered violence and oppression for decades to fight their oppressor with the same level of violence that they've been exposed to every single day of their life? How does that make them in the wrong?

Mark Ruffalo said it best and to those trying to group a former president and first lady into this, you're reaching. Also, no one is canceling Ellen and frankly no one has the power to do so. But there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism and Ellen has made some interesting choices that can and will be addressed including her privilege in this world that allows her to to be "kind" and build a friendship with him despite his wrongdoings or her support of Kevin Hart despite his ignorance and violent homophobia.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.