Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Norman Fucking Rockwell! at #19 of P4K’s “The 200 Best Albums of the 2010s”

Recommended Posts

Urbanov    46,916

Norman Fucking Rockwell!, Lana Del Rey’s fifth and finest album, begins with a breakup and ends with self-affirmation and hope. In between, she takes on wide-lens topics—climate change, gun violence, depression, death—with effortless cool. (She even manages to seamlessly fit in a Sublime cover.) Her indelible pop melodies are strung together with the grace of a tragic ballet. Lana worked on the record with Jack Antonoff, a producer known for encouraging pop artists to indulge their most theatrical, bombastic sides. Del Rey, however, encourages a more somber atmosphere, defined by muted piano, acoustic guitars, and layered harmonies that pair with her angsty, existential stories—’70s in spirit and ’90s in frame of mind, to paraphrase a lyric. If Lana’s music once sounded like a collage of her heroes’ greatest hits, then here is where she lapsed into her own language entirely. –Sam Sodomsky

 

Entire list: 

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-200-best-albums-of-the-2010s/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gravity    892

As it should be clap3

12 minutes ago, Urbanov said:

 If Lana’s music once sounded like a collage of her heroes’ greatest hits, then here is where she lapsed into her own language entirely. –Sam Sodomsky

 

 

Uff I agree with this so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madonna    39,598

Um Norman Fucking Rockwell over Born to Die and Ultraviolence? I'm calling bullshit. lol3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pauly Antonio    304
15 minutes ago, Madonna said:

Um Norman Fucking Rockwell over Born to Die and Ultraviolence? I'm calling bullshit. lol3 

They gave NFR their highest score since 2015... and you should see what score they gave both BTD and UV.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hunty Bear    11,839

some of the album choices here are absolutely bizarre but I respect them giving NFR! the justice it deserves jj4 iirc Video Games and The Greatest both made it on their Best Songs of the 2010s list too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madonna    39,598
1 hour ago, Pauly Antonio said:

They gave NFR their highest score since 2015... and you should see what score they gave both BTD and UV.... 

and they placed Frank Ocean's "Blonde" which is literally forgotten and boring from beginning to end their #1 pick. lol3 I swear to god, Pitchfork is a collection of pretentious music nazis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pauly Antonio    304
23 minutes ago, Madonna said:

and they placed Frank Ocean's "Blonde" which is literally forgotten and boring from beginning to end their #1 pick. lol3 I swear to god, Pitchfork is a collection of pretentious music nazis.

google their writing staff and you'll understand lolll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hunty Bear    11,839
4 hours ago, Madonna said:

and they placed Frank Ocean's "Blonde" which is literally forgotten and boring from beginning to end their #1 pick. lol3 I swear to god, Pitchfork is a collection of pretentious music nazis.

Blonde is literally not at all forgotten dead2 but I am definitely confounded as to why TPAB wasn't their #1 for the decade tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madonna    39,598
4 hours ago, Hunty Bear said:

Blonde is literally not at all forgotten dead2 but I am definitely confounded as to why TPAB wasn't their #1 for the decade tbh

I haven't listened to TPAB and I don't plan on listening to any Kendrick Lamar album but Blonde is just fucking shit compared to Channel Orange which is undoubtedly one of the best albums ever released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madonna    39,598
8 hours ago, Pauly Antonio said:

google their writing staff and you'll understand lolll

No words lol3 

0906WIMPPITC001_LR_credit-Peter-Yang1.jp

This is exactly what I expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Urbanov    46,916
9 hours ago, Madonna said:

and they placed Frank Ocean's "Blonde" which is literally forgotten and boring from beginning to end their #1 pick. lol3 I swear to god, Pitchfork is a collection of pretentious music nazis.

Blonde forgotten dead2 it’s an instant classic wtf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Urbanov    46,916
5 hours ago, Hunty Bear said:

Blonde is literally not at all forgotten dead2 but I am definitely confounded as to why TPAB wasn't their #1 for the decade tbh

So many weird choices dead2 albums that were highlighted in certain years on their years end list are missing on this one dead2 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madonna    39,598
1 hour ago, Urbanov said:

Blonde forgotten dead2 it’s an instant classic wtf

It's literally a bunch of fillers that no one remembers. jj4 Forrest Gump, Pyramids, Thinkin Bout You, Monks & Lost all collectively shit on Bland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hunty Bear    11,839
5 hours ago, Urbanov said:

So many weird choices dead2 albums that were highlighted in certain years on their years end list are missing on this one dead2 

their lists were just bizarre truly tbh jj4 their song list in particular was pretty weird/bad! not even that I'm necessarily a fan of all of them, but Sufjan Stevens, Julia Holter, Deafheaven, CHVRCHES, Zola Jesus, U.S. Girls, Arca, Purity RIng, Father John Misty, Swans, Flying Lotus, Toro y Moi, Janelle Monae, Run the Jewels, The War on Drugs, etc. were all missing from the song list and Pitchfork has literally been complete whores for them over the past decade

4 hours ago, Madonna said:

It's literally a bunch of fillers that no one remembers. jj4 Forrest Gump, Pyramids, Thinkin Bout You, Monks & Lost all collectively shit on Bland.

I can understand not being into it (I certainly thought it was overrated when it initially came out) but it is A) one of the most remembered and timeless albums released this decade and B) not a collection of fillers, not every cohesive album is just a collection of "fillers" jj4 same goes for NFR!, which I noticed you have a similar opinion on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tomás    21,217

lmfaooo NFR is great and it deserves its spot but some of these... uhm... CHOICES. girl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madonna    39,598
5 hours ago, Hunty Bear said:

their lists were just bizarre truly tbh jj4 their song list in particular was pretty weird/bad! not even that I'm necessarily a fan of all of them, but Sufjan Stevens, Julia Holter, Deafheaven, CHVRCHES, Zola Jesus, U.S. Girls, Arca, Purity RIng, Father John Misty, Swans, Flying Lotus, Toro y Moi, Janelle Monae, Run the Jewels, The War on Drugs, etc. were all missing from the song list and Pitchfork has literally been complete whores for them over the past decade

I can understand not being into it (I certainly thought it was overrated when it initially came out) but it is A) one of the most remembered and timeless albums released this decade and B) not a collection of fillers, not every cohesive album is just a collection of "fillers" jj4 same goes for NFR!, which I noticed you have a similar opinion on!

It's easy to make an album that is stripped to it's core (mostly singing over a distorted guitar) cohesive. Doesn't make it any better than an album with rich production. jj4 I don't see why lack of work and effort should be applauded. I think that minimalism is extremely pretentious and applauding someone for mediocre work that is sold as being "minimalistic and edgy" is just annoying. It's easy to make something appear "timeless" when it barely has any production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modern Woman    11,569

Why is this list coming out now when we still have 2.5 months to go? eve1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jeg815    35

Born To Die should have been there, it's hands down one of the best albums not only from her catalog but from the 2010s. I know this is a little old:

 

Lana Del Rey's 'Born to Die' Becomes One of Only Three Albums by Women With 300 Weeks on Billboard 200 Chart

 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8094772/lana-del-rey-born-to-die-300-weeks-billboard-200-albums-chart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Browsing now   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×