Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Hermione

Gina Rodriguez drops the N word on IG Live

Wait, she was just rapping song lyrics though? I feel like that's an exception. If you're a rapper or a performer and you put that in your song, you just give permission for others to say it. Whether you agree with it or not. This might not be a popular opinion, but growing up in a majority white neighborhood that listens to rap music, this is the conception you give. I myself would never say the word regardless, however as I said if you're quoting song lyrics, you're technically quoting the person who wrote the song / the artist. jj4

18 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

Wait, she was just rapping song lyrics though? I feel like that's an exception. If you're a rapper or a performer and you put that in your song, you just give permission for others to say it. Whether you agree with it or not. This might not be a popular opinion, but growing up in a majority white neighborhood that listens to rap music, this is the conception you give. I myself would never say the word regardless, however as I said if you're quoting song lyrics, you're technically quoting the person who wrote the song / the artist. jj4

But it's all about context. The same words can mean different things depending on who's saying them. Lauryn Hill can get away with it, but Gina Rodriguez as a non-black Latina woman not so much. Not to mention, Gina has a long and storied history of making anti-black comments and gestures of varying degrees of subtlety and transparency and this in conjunction with her past is an especially bad look.

24 minutes ago, Hermione said:

But it's all about context. The same words can mean different things depending on who's saying them. Lauryn Hill can get away with it, but Gina Rodriguez as a non-black Latina woman not so much. Not to mention, Gina has a long and storied history of making anti-black comments and gestures of varying degrees of subtlety and transparency and this in conjunction with her past is an especially bad look.

I agree, if she has a history of anti black comments, this isn't a good look.

there's literally no way for her to crawl back from this. plus that half assed apology was literally so cringy. 

the fact she recorded HERSELF, said the n word, laughed and THEN posted it... girl. at this point you're just asking for it. idk what it is with nonblack latinos saying the n word so much either, cardi does the same shit rip4 

51 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

there is no situation or context that should make a nonblack person feel they have the permission to say the n word. there's no excuse for what she did.

plus it literally rolled off her tongue so easy it'd seem the n word is a part of her vocabulary when it absolutely shouldn't be rip4 

4 minutes ago, tomás said:

there is no situation or context that should make a nonblack person feel they have the permission to say the n word. there's no excuse for what she did.

plus it literally rolled off her tongue so easy it'd seem the n word is a part of her vocabulary when it absolutely shouldn't be rip4 

Either the n-word is a racist slur with a history of being used to dehumanize and oppress black people; or it's a word that has been reclaimed as a term of endearment. You can't have both. Whether YOU think white people shouldn't say the word or not, there are white people who hear these rap songs and listen to a majority of rap, who live in majority white neighborhoods, who see and hear that this word has been "reclaimed", and hear it constantly on the radio in this context, and thus this makes them feel it is okay to say, especially in the context of just rapping someone else's song lyrics. They don't use the word because they want to be racist against black people. White people aren't going to understand this exactly the way black people do, obviously. I also think what alot of people don't understand, is that not all black people agree on this issue — the NAACP for example says it should NOT be used by anybody, and they even held a mock "funeral" for the word, condemning it's use both by anybody, not just by whites. I for one don't care to hear the word used at all, however, if someone's using it in song lyrics, or using it as a "term of endearment", etc, I'm not going to police your speech. Intentions and context matters. As long as you aren't out to hurt anybody, I can't control what you say or don't say. I think artists have a responsibility to understand how their song impacts the public, which includes white neighborhoods too. If you don't want white people saying the word, don't use it in your song. It's simple as that, set the example. Whether your opinion is white people shouldn't say it in any context, or otherwise, you can't police what people can or can't say in a free society. So, set the example yourself and refrain from using it in your vocabulary. For example, that video where a white girl is invited to rap the lyrics at a rap concert, who is then booed and condemned for using the n-word when it is included in the songs lyrics and she was asked to rap the lyrics, is ridiculous and hypocritical.

Also, when we have neo-nazis and KKK still marching in the 21st century, we have ALOT worse issues then someone saying the n-word in song lyrics.

2 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

Either the n-word is a racist slur with a history of being used to dehumanize and oppress black people; or it's a word that has been reclaimed as a term of endearment. You can't have both. Whether YOU think white people shouldn't say the word or not, there are white people who hear these rap songs and listen to a majority of rap, who live in majority white neighborhoods, who see and hear that this word has been "reclaimed", and hear it constantly on the radio in this context, and thus this makes them feel it is okay to say, especially in the context of just rapping someone else's song lyrics. They don't use the word because they want to be racist against black people. White people aren't going to understand this exactly the way black people do, obviously. I also think what alot of people don't understand, is that not all black people agree on this issue — the NAACP for example says it should NOT be used by anybody, and they even held a mock "funeral" for the word, condemning it's use both by anybody, not just by whites. I for one don't care to hear the word used at all, however, if someone's using it in song lyrics, or using it as a "term of endearment", etc, I'm not going to police your speech. Intentions and context matters. As long as you aren't out to hurt anybody, I can't control what you say or don't say. I think artists have a responsibility to understand how their song impacts the public, which includes white neighborhoods too. If you don't want white people saying the word, don't use it in your song. It's simple as that, set the example. Whether your opinion is white people shouldn't say it in any context, or otherwise, you can't police what people can or can't say in a free society. So, set the example yourself and refrain from using it in your vocabulary. For example, that video where a white girl is invited to rap the lyrics at a rap concert, who is then booed and condemned for using the n-word when it is included in the songs lyrics and she was asked to rap the lyrics, is ridiculous and hypocritical.

Also, when we have neo-nazis and KKK still marching in the 21st century, we have ALOT worse issues then someone saying the n-word in song lyrics.

does the intention really matter tho? cos even if you don't mean it as a harmful way it IS going to be percieved as harmful by an entire group of people, and white people/nonblack people of color are (it's kind of obvious) or should be aware of that. also the n word was reclaimed BY and FOR black people, it is not ridiculous to ask somebody who is not black, who will never be opressed by that word, to just not say it. it's not that deep or difficult, it is just one word you are asked not to say. obviously the choice to say it or not is yours but there's always repercussions.
i get that nonblack people feel they have the permission to say the n word due to being exposed to it be in music, media, or interacting with black people, but they shouldn't feel the permission to. that's what i was trying to say.

also the kkk and neo-nazism still being around is tied to racism, and saying the n word if you're not black no matter the context is racist. period point blank.

7 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

Nope. Shut that shit up. We can address NeonNazi’s and the KKK while shutting down these racially ignorant, anti black pieces of shit that exist. 

Also Don’t tell black people how they should react to people saying the “n word” That is not your place. Just don’t say the damn word. Brockhampton literally has white rappers in their group and the white people in it Do not say the n word at all. It’s not hard. Just DONT SAY IT. It’s so damn simple. I don’t say certain words cause it can offend others. Even if it could be in a song. Like... It’s just an excuse. 

it's a difference between me calling myself or other gay people a faggot than to a heterosexual person calling me or other gay people a faggot. same with me using the word spic, even though i don't cause i don't see the point but it's still different than a nonhispanic person doing it. @Miss Show Business

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

Here's a good example.

1 hour ago, Kyoteki said:

Bitch literally said “wheres the Latin American Black Panther” lmfao1 

gonna preface this by saying i’m biased bc i’ve been hooked on her show, but these examples don’t seem that bad? she corrected the interviewer for calling her an inspiration to black women bc she’s not black herself, and any representation for any minority in popular media is great. of course the ig video incident is bad, but it feels more like a one-off to me than a long history of being anti-black? is there sth i’m missing

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.