Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

TomTom

Kesha interview with Entertainment Weekly

Kesha on her new album, finding her rainbow, and embracing happiness

In 2017, the singer plumbed one of the most difficult periods of her life. With her next album (out this December), she’s jumping back into the party.

“I got my balls back!” Kesha proclaims of the driving force behind her currently untitled fourth studio album. The highly anticipated follow-up to Rainbow is primed to take fans on a roller-coaster ride through an eclectic mix of styles she lovingly defines as “weirdo pop.” “On this record, I got to explore my happiness and reclaiming all the different ways I can use my voice,” she says.” It’s not owned by anybody else.”

While her Grammy-nominated 2017 record was about chasing the rainbow and coming out of the darkness — the album came after Kesha accused former collaborator Dr. Luke of sexual assault and physical abuse; he denied the claims and countersued for defamation, and the case is still ongoing — her new project embraces what it’s like to bask in the sun after the storm. “If you keep on pushing through the darkness, you’ll find a rainbow, and I feel like I finally arrived there,” she muses. “I want that to be inspiration to other people — by embracing the vulnerable side of myself, but also the strong, and the person that wants to lead a joyful, happy, and free life.”

Part of that is returning to the dance pop of her first two albums and falling back in love with her free-spirit image. This time, though, it was on her terms. “I’ve been told to be fun before, but now I’m actually genuinely having fun,” she says. “[It’s] a self-deprecating look at what I believe the music industry wants someone to be versus the fact that I’m f—king everything. I’m not just one thing. I’m not just the party girl, and I’m not just a tragedy. I’m an infinite amount of things, and I don’t want to be put into a particular box.”

Yet, the album didn’t start out that way. Kesha began writing it immediately following the end of her last tour and found herself returning to the introspective, singer-songwriter vibes of Rainbow. When her brother suggested she try making a pop song again, she begrudgingly gave it a shot. “I came back around to realizing that I f—king love pop music,” she says. “I had been depriving myself of something I loved very much because I wasn’t supposed to have fun. There is a beauty to the escapism of what pop music gives people and being aware of that. I enjoy it. I use it. Music is my therapy.”

The new project also has Kesha revisiting the rap-inflected vocals of her earlier work, which she lovingly refers to as “s–t talking.” “I decided to take that part of my voice back,” she explains. “It felt like it didn’t belong to me. People know about the hard things I’ve gone through and [that] made me realize I’m allowed to be happy. I don’t have to live in the past. I don’t have to be defined by something s—ty that’s happened to me. I can be present and find compassion for myself and come out having a really f—king amazing life still. Hopefully, that gives people hope.”

Kesha’s current musical tastes are all over the map — from Carly Rae Jepsen to the Cars to Black Sabbath to Madonna — and the new album’s inspirations are equally as diverse: Harmony Korine’s The Beach Bum (“As a bum, I very much relate to this character,” she says), ‘90s country music, and swimming with sharks in Mexico. “I just realized I’m an adrenaline junkie and probably always will be,” she reflects. “I love doing things that scare me and for anyone who ever would want to be in a relationship with me, they should know these things up front. I am a wild spirit. I’m a wildflower, and I’m always going to chase the storm.”

Besides her own interests and life experiences, Kesha turned to numerous collaborators for the new record, including Wrabel, Tayla Parx, Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons, Nate Ruess, and Justin Tranter. “My process of making music works best when I’m with people that I know, that I care about, I’m comfortable with, and we are genuinely having a really good time,” she explains. “That is when the truth comes out and that’s when the best songs are born.”

No matter who she was working with, she set ultimately out to write a record with no boundaries and blow up the notion that an album needs one defining sound. “The overarching theme is reclaiming my voice,” she says. “I’m proud to say that through making happy music, I’ve found a lot of joy coming back into my life. [I’m] a grown-ass woman who has been through some s—t, and I really am just reclaiming feeling good and having a good time.”

https://ew.com/music/2019/10/18/kesha-new-album-interview/

thank lagan for giving us popsha atleast for another erajj1 itll actually be a dream if birthday suit whether reworked or not is on this record but i can only hope godsha has been listening to my prayerscry0

31 minutes ago, idrk said:

thank lagan for giving us popsha atleast for another erajj1 itll actually be a dream if birthday suit whether reworked or not is on this record but i can only hope godsha has been listening to my prayerscry0

I think you will kill someone later in your life if you don't get that song, so Kesha better release it for her own interest.

1 hour ago, idrk said:

I love Birthday suit too! It's a quirky bop oprah2

Ok she can go back to pop but can she just not release basic sell-out pop like Raising Hell is shaping to be? jj4 I'm starting to get annoyed with her. She can finally release new music, she can do it her own way, she's going back to dancy pop and she decides to release that, GURL. 

1 hour ago, idrk said:

She should make pop till she's around 40 and then just completely release whatever random shit she has. She's still young and has the energy to do so, it wouldn't make sense for her to suddenly go country and folk if pop music has always been her guilty pleasure. 

1 hour ago, Recycled stardust said:

The problem is the mix: are you sure he will be satisfied? jj1

@idrk starts hunting for musicmafia version again after listening to the reworked album version for the 326th time and making sure that a drum stem is slightly more quiet than the snippet

14 minutes ago, Okan said:

@idrk starts hunting for musicmafia version again after listening to the reworked album version for the 326th time and making sure that a drum stem is slightly more quiet than the snippet

lmfao1lmfao1lmfao1

2 hours ago, Kivo said:

Ok she can go back to pop but can she just not release basic sell-out pop like Raising Hell is shaping to be? jj4 I'm starting to get annoyed with her. She can finally release new music, she can do it her own way, she's going back to dancy pop and she decides to release that, GURL. 

she does have a folk album that is nearly complete too whit1 

1 hour ago, Kivo said:

She should make pop till she's around 40 and then just completely release whatever random shit she has. She's still young and has the energy to do so, it wouldn't make sense for her to suddenly go country and folk if pop music has always been her guilty pleasure. 

shes always been into pop, rock/metal and country.

1 hour ago, Chris Morlock said:

she does have a folk album that is nearly complete too whit1 

shes always been into pop, rock/metal and country.

But when she's older she probably won't be singing about partying and having a ton of fun. That's why she's waiting for the perfect time to release her folk album and later on she'll probably go country or rock here and there. 

2 hours ago, Kivo said:

But when she's older she probably won't be singing about partying and having a ton of fun. That's why she's waiting for the perfect time to release her folk album and later on she'll probably go country or rock here and there. 

I hope she goes rock before country. Rock.needs a lot of energy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.