Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Divine

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

18 minutes ago, Divine said:

Yea their reasoning was “it’s so bad so let me just spare you your time and money! here’s all the plot twists and how it ends!” followed by a LQ blurry photo of one of the spoilers during a press screening orangu1 

Probably Empire Strikes Back! And unpopular opinion but TFA is in close second! jj2 

What a jackass orangu1 

I would agree with Empire! TFA is definitely good, and for whatever it's worth I'd say it's the most even film out of the sequel trilogy.

On 12/20/2019 at 4:31 AM, Dennis Reynolds said:

All right, well, I saw it and I'm still figuring it out, but here's some of my initial scattered thoughts:

Hide contents

- I said that it was probably gonna be a third early ROTJ, a third Dark Empire and a third original. I would say that's essentially accurate.

- The pacing needed a lot of work. You don't get to breathe until like forty minutes, and there's just too many characters and too much going on. They either needed to drop some stuff or increase the runtime to do it justice. 

- This is by far the most visually interesting Star Wars film Disney has made, just gorgeous. Exegol was wonderfully creepy and ancient, the downed Death Star on Endor's ocean moon was very striking (a better version of the same idea they had for Jakku, basically), Kijimi felt substantially different than every other ice planet...it was very impressive. 

- The camaraderie between the main cast was great, and C-3P0 was quite funny.

- I'm surprisingly indifferent about the kiss...really thought something so definitel would either confirm my dislike for Reylo or turn me around, but I really don't get much out of it either way as of now.

- Han Solo is my favorite character in Star Wars and so I was happy to see him, but that scene needed some better writing...I do think a vision of Han was the way to go with redeeming Ben Solo, but it played more like a "hero gets his mojo back" moment, which seems inappropriate for Kylo Ren.

I agree with the first 40 minutes not letting me breathe. The pacing was pretty bad and my initial thought when the movie started was “Oh god they’re trying to rush cramming everything in.”

C-3PO having a major role made me giddy. His one-liners were as witty as ever. When he said “You didn’t say my name, but I’m safe!” I laughed really hard. Natural humor, not forced like in TLJ.

I called Rey being a Palpatine since the first film. Luke and Obi Wan were too obvious. I can’t tell if Rian Johnston in TLJ seriously meant for Rey to be a “nobody,” or it was a red herring. On one hand, I like the “anybody can be destined to be great regardless of heritage” and on one hand I like Rey fighting her inner darkness in all movies because of her Sith blood.

Which leads me to the ending. I wanted her to embrace her last name. It iterates that it doesn’t matter who your family was. You determine who you are. Like, you’re not a Skywalker. Ben was. If you having babies, they gonna be sith babies, just saying.

1 hour ago, Umbreon said:

Hide contents

I agree with the first 40 minutes not letting me breathe. The pacing was pretty bad and my initial thought when the movie started was “Oh god they’re trying to rush cramming everything in.”

C-3PO having a major role made me giddy. His one-liners were as witty as ever. When he said “You didn’t say my name, but I’m safe!” I laughed really hard. Natural humor, not forced like in TLJ.

I called Rey being a Palpatine since the first film. Luke and Obi Wan were too obvious. I can’t tell if Rian Johnston in TLJ seriously meant for Rey to be a “nobody,” or it was a red herring. On one hand, I like the “anybody can be destined to be great regardless of heritage” and on one hand I like Rey fighting her inner darkness in all movies because of her Sith blood.

Which leads me to the ending. I wanted her to embrace her last name. It iterates that it doesn’t matter who your family was. You determine who you are. Like, you’re not a Skywalker. Ben was. If you having babies, they gonna be sith babies, just saying.

Spoiler

Yeah, that's definitely what they did. They had a lot of cool new characters (Zorii Bliss, Knights of Ren, the Sith assassin, Jannah, Pryde) but they don't really do many of them justice, and it's really just the main cast that gets serviced properly. The runtime already seems to be one of people's gripes about it, but I wouldn't have minded another 20 minutes if it helped them get it together a little more. And I guess there's some mysteries that they never addressed at all, like Luke's other students and how Maz got his lightsaber.

I thought she was Luke's initially, and then I sorta bought that she was a nobody after TLJ, but the marketing for this made it pretty obvious that she would be a Palpatine. However, I disagree that she should've embraced that name - one of the big themes of the movie is chosen family, and I think that acknowledging Luke and Leia as her true family is a great way to end her story and the series in general. The Skywalker bloodline is over, but their legacy isn't - it's very bittersweet, and I like it.

Ok watched it last night and I can say I actually really enjoyed it! It wasn't the BEST it could have been and the twist was kinda anticlimactic but I dont know I still feel like it worked/was pretty effective. However, I do feel like critics and fans alike are ripping it to shreds over small things that they wouldn't care about if it were any other film/franchise. Overall, I'm pleased.

20 minutes ago, Divine said:

Ok watched it last night and I can say I actually really enjoyed it! It wasn't the BEST it could have been and the twist was kinda anticlimactic but I dont know I still feel like it worked/was pretty effective. However, I do feel like critics and fans alike are ripping it to shreds over small things that they wouldn't care about if it were any other film/franchise. Overall, I'm pleased.

Spoiler

Maybe, people are certainly passionate about this film series rip2 I guess I probably would be way less reflective if this was another Marvel movie. Logged into theforce.net for the first time in a while and some people are totally fucking eviscerating it rip2 

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

yea that's true but I dont know I guess even the things I'm super passionate about, I never aim to find the worst things about it and amplify it times a million dead1 Like yea, the first 30 minutes were VERY fast paced and it was hard to keep up but you were given a breather right after it and you could piece everything together and keep up with the rest of the movie. They just seem to solely focus on the negative, which, why? dead2 

Rey's final battle with Palpatine was really badass and you could feel the steaks were high. Especially when Palpatine was causing all of the ships fall from the sky and giving Rey the ultimatum that she becomes the Empress or watches as her chosen family dies. Luckily that part wasn't spoiled for me so I was wondering "oh god is she actually gonna do this?" Obviously knew Palpatine would lose the battle because it's the last movie and good guy always wins but still, it was very gripping.

Like I said, the plot twist that Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter could have been more of a spectacle a la Darth Vader's reveal, but I dont know I feel like nothing can match that caliber of a reveal for this series and if it were attempted, it would be kinda forced or try hard. I think they handled it well.

One complaint I do have though is I wish they showed Rey mourning Kylo at least a little bit. They kissed and he immediately died and they cut to Poe and Finn celebrating. Not a tear was shed. jj4  

31 minutes ago, Divine said:
  Hide contents

yea that's true but I dont know I guess even the things I'm super passionate about, I never aim to find the worst things about it and amplify it times a million dead1 Like yea, the first 30 minutes were VERY fast paced and it was hard to keep up but you were given a breather right after it and you could piece everything together and keep up with the rest of the movie. They just seem to solely focus on the negative, which, why? dead2 

Rey's final battle with Palpatine was really badass and you could feel the steaks were high. Especially when Palpatine was causing all of the ships fall from the sky and giving Rey the ultimatum that she becomes the Empress or watches as her chosen family dies. Luckily that part wasn't spoiled for me so I was wondering "oh god is she actually gonna do this?" Obviously knew Palpatine would lose the battle because it's the last movie and good guy always wins but still, it was very gripping.

Like I said, the plot twist that Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter could have been more of a spectacle a la Darth Vader's reveal, but I dont know I feel like nothing can match that caliber of a reveal for this series and if it were attempted, it would be kinda forced or try hard. I think they handled it well.

One complaint I do have though is I wish they showed Rey mourning Kylo at least a little bit. They kissed and he immediately died and they cut to Poe and Finn celebrating. Not a tear was shed. jj4  

Spoiler

Yea, I also generally try to find things I like about it rather than the other way around, but there have been some franchise films like The Predator or It Chapter Two where it came to a point that I absolutely hated both and in those cases I was much less complementary about anything that I liked about them rip2 TROS was nowhere near that bad for me, but maybe it crossed that line for some.

What was spoiled for you anyway? Like what was the picture and what did they say?

I have mixed feelings about that whole thing with Kylo Ren/Ben Solo. I like the idea of a vision of Han bringing him back, but the redemption itself felt sorta unearned. When he's blasting stormtroopers and the Knights of Ren with a smirk on his face and wearing loose fitting clothing like Han, it seems cool at first, but I feel like this character just reverted back into somebody I never knew rip4 When Vader changes he dies nearly immediately so it was more about his soul being saved rather than him, but the redemption of Ben Solo and the confirmation of his and Rey's romance...I'll be seeing the movie again soon enough so I guess I'll see how I feel then but for now it seems odd.

Just saw it:

Loved the Reylo — obviously.

Palpatine too.

The movie itself? It wasn’t bad, as much as it felt like they wrote five, separate different scripts, tore them up, threw them on the floor and made the final script out of random bits of those pieces.

it felt rushed, like we were missing something. 

anyway: 7/10 

People who are ripping it to shreds are full of shit — it’s not bad. Not my favorite, but certainly not the worst SW film. 

It certainly has it's issues, but overall I left the theatre satisfied. I honestly think that they should've given the script one more go to clean up some of the more uneven moments and correct the pacing issues. But I can somewhat forgive the films pacing problems because it's got a lot of story to cram into a single film. In a rare instance of me thinking this, I believe that the film could've benefitted from being longer. I think it would've allowed some of the emotional beats more time to impact and let some of the twists fully play out and land the right way. 

It looks beautiful and it sounds incredible. The cast is unsurprisingly great in it. Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley really sell the connection between the two of them well and whenever they're on screen together, it's really fantastic to watch. 

I enjoyed the film and it was really a fun ride! 7.5/10 for me. 

Ended up seeing it on the 26th. I came out of the theatre with mixed feelings and the more I think about the movie the less I like it.

Mostly because it's so fucking obvious that Disney/JJ did everthing to undo all the things that got criticized in TLJ and retconned everything to hell and back. I don't believe it for a second that the entire trilogy was planned from the beginning. They basically undid all the progress laid out in TLJ but they sometimes end up contradicting TFA as well.

This was a huge disappointment to me. Say what you want about Rian Johnson but he actually gave a fuck about creating a new, unique and well thought out SW story. All JJ knows is how to steal from the original trilogy and cater to popular fan theories. trash1

2 hours ago, Kirjava said:

Ended up seeing it on the 26th. I came out of the theatre with mixed feelings and the more I think about the movie the less I like it.

Mostly because it's so fucking obvious that Disney/JJ did everthing to undo all the things that got criticized in TLJ and retconned everything to hell and back. I don't believe it for a second that the entire trilogy was planned from the beginning. They basically undid all the progress laid out in TLJ but they sometimes end up contradicting TFA as well.

This was a huge disappointment to me. Say what you want about Rian Johnson but he actually gave a fuck about creating a new, unique and well thought out SW story. All JJ knows is how to steal from the original trilogy and cater to popular fan theories. trash1

As I dwell on it more, it just seems butchered. Like Matt Smith? Who was allegedly going to play young Palpatine, it made news when he was hired onto the film? But he wasn't in it, and he was never fired, they just cut him out of it? 

Palpatine's message for one, that was mentioned in the opening crawl. It wasn't in any novels or comic books -- you want to know where it was, in a fortnight game, just randomly cut in

The fact that the opening scene is Kylo Ren fighting a Darth Vader cult? Or the purpose of the First Order when the Final Order is a thing? Or better yet, the fact that they pretty much hacked Adam Driver's lines and scenes in half? 

There are elements of it that I'd bet my life that were planned from the beginning (such as the Reylo stuff, obviously jj2) but the overall narrative of this film, it felt like JJ was just rushing shit and wanted to get it over with. 

21 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

As I dwell on it more, it just seems butchered. Like Matt Smith? Who was allegedly going to play young Palpatine, it made news when he was hired onto the film? But he wasn't in it, and he was never fired, they just cut him out of it? 

Palpatine's message for one, that was mentioned in the opening crawl. It wasn't in any novels or comic books -- you want to know where it was, in a fortnight game, just randomly cut in

The fact that the opening scene is Kylo Ren fighting a Darth Vader cult? Or the purpose of the First Order when the Final Order is a thing? Or better yet, the fact that they pretty much hacked Adam Driver's lines and scenes in half? 

There are elements of it that I'd bet my life that were planned from the beginning (such as the Reylo stuff, obviously jj2) but the overall narrative of this film, it felt like JJ was just rushing shit and wanted to get it over with. 

I didn't know about the young Palpatine actor thing, what's that about?

Don't even remind me of the Fortnite mess jay1

Adam Driver and Daisy were done so dirty. They deserved better than this jj4 The wasted potential of Kylo/Ben Solo. The regression of Rey's character from the previous movie fall2

The fact that

Spoiler

Ben Solo doesn't have a single spoken line after his redemption with the exception of "Ow" orangu1 The fact that he doesn't appear with Luke and Leia in the ending scene anna1 And why the fuck would Luke bring Leia's saber with him in his exile lmfao1  Also, not them pulling the "they knew who Rey was and they still taught her" when it was established in both TFA and TLJ that Leia gave up on Ben because of his strong pull to the Dark Side and Snoke but they are okay with training a literal descendant of Palpatine lmfao1 I mean they could have played it off as Luke+Leia learning from their past treatment of Ben and not making the same mistakes with Rey, but they didn't eve1

Also, Kylo: "I never lied to you"

Last movie: "your parents sold you for drinking money! they were nobodies!"

This movie: "well yeah they were nobodies, but not really, cuz one of them is Palpatine's child, also they aren't actually bad people, tHEy sOLd YoU tO prOTeCt yOu"

The more you think about this film the worse it gets. lol3

Also, they should have killed of Chewie jay1 That would have brought actual presonal stakes to the story and would have made Rey's potential fall to the Dark Side way more impactful, and would have made her a way more interesting character, but nooo, we gotta make her the perfect little innocent princess, we can't allow the main hero to be morally grey!!! ew2

Also, Kelly Marie Tran deserved better than this clap1 Them giving her the Jar Jar treatment means Disney would rather cater to a racist/sexist loud minority than do the right thing trash1

And they really thought they did something with that 0.00005 second long lesbian kiss. moo1 Good fucking bye. xtina9

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.