Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Tomás

(CHILE) Martial Law, Military Shooting Civilians

After the Chilean government announced that they would raise the price of the metro, last week the high school students started a massive elude of payment as a form of protest. The government’s answer to this protest was to dismiss it, saying that the ticket prices for students are to remain the same. Hence the government is entirely oblivious to the solidarity students were showing with their families, who are the ones to suffer from the increase. Finally, on 18th October, the students started neutralizing the metro ticket machines since their voice wasn’t being heard. 

By 5pm that day, people began to join the protest in the streets of Chile’s capital Santiago. No one has called on them to do so: it was a self-convocated action of thousands of people who got tired of being constantly abused by their government and decided to protest on the street; leaving their workplaces, their homes, their universities, to march to the centre of the city and let the government know that they aren’t going to take it any more. 

By 6pm, the main metro line was not operating. There was nothing more for people to do other than walk: and so they did. 

The riot police were not prepared to control so many groups of people in so many different places. By 7pm, it wasn´t just the centre. People went to the streets in their neighbourhoods to make barricades and to make noise, especially with an old technique learned in the dictatorship known as “cacerolazo” (in which people repeatedly hit a cooking pot in the form of protest); and in some cases to burn their local metro station.

During the evening, the situation was impossible to control by the government. The riot police from other cities was brought to Santiago, and they started to shoot at the rioters with birdshot

Around midnight, the government declared martial law in Santiago and announced that they were ordering the military to put order on the streets. By 2am on Saturday, the soldiers were already on the streets of Santiago.

This rage has its root in something much deeper than the mere ticket price increase. It’s linked to the fact the Chilean living wage is the lowest in OCDE countries. The country’s minimum monthly salary is only £327, all while the politicians in the congress get £9,592.05. In addition to this, the pensions are also low; the public health system is very precarious, the education is bad and expensive. 

Because the list of injustice is so long, many other cities started to join the riots, forcing the riot police that was sent to Santiago to return back. The government began to be afraid, and so they announced a curfew for different cities. On Saturday night, the curfew was at 10pm, and then on Sunday, it began at 7pm. Despite this, people are still going to the streets to protest, make noise, light barricades and keep the “cacerolazos” going. 

The country’s media are continually showing images of people looting shops and houses, burned buses (that later we knew where not really in service… very suspicious) and some other “scary, chaotic images”. All with some apocalyptic music in the background and a logo “Estado de Emergencia”. In the meantime, broadcasting from abroad is shut down. It is not only a joke compared to what is happening right now, but also a way to boost fear, so the government can justify the people who are missing and the deaths that are happening (officially 11 that we know of so far). 

The government has announced that they will freeze the price of the metro, being too blind to see that the problem right now it is not “the 30 pesos but the 30 years” of abuse that the people of the country have suffered.

Despite the fact the city has collapsed, many stores have closed, and public transportation is not working; protests are continuing. This morning people have been calling everyone to riot, many workers and cities have joined the social fight; the militaries are on the streets waiting for the riots to happen and ready to shoot, the social media is slowly being blocked, and many people are afraid of what may happen. 

We are in a great need of international support and solidarity since what it’s coming next is uncertain.

Source: https://freedomnews.org.uk/what-is-happening-in-chile/

These are some videos of the military SHOOTING at civilians and all around being abusive (even towards children).

People's houses are even being broken into...

And the military is also damaging public property and blaming it on the left and the protestants. They've started fires in banks, an entire building, etc... there is a twitter hashtag named "PiñeraDictator", Piñera being the current president of Chile.

I don't know if the videos will be up for long since chilean accounts are actually being taken down, but yeah, please be aware of the situation. This type of situation is very familiar to all latinamericans who know the basic ammount of their own history. Sharing and letting other people know what is going on is a way to help so please do so!

I live here and it's a mess, yes, but this is the product of these people that are commiting acts of vandalism around Chile as well. People are burning supermarkets, stealing from them and also from stores, they set on fire metro stations, trains, buses, banks and are mad militars and cops are being brutal?? Like c'mon... I support the cause because it also affects me since I have to pay more but there's a difference between protesting and stealing, vandalism and more.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:25 AM, hector said:

I live here and it's a mess, yes, but this is the product of these people that are commiting acts of vandalism around Chile as well. People are burning supermarkets, stealing from them and also from stores, they set on fire metro stations, trains, buses, banks and are mad militars and cops are being brutal?? Like c'mon... I support the cause because it also affects me since I have to pay more but there's a difference between protesting and stealing, vandalism and more.

girl it's still no justification for the atrosities the military's doing, there's been over 100 deaths and a dozen women have been raped by the milicos rip4 and a lot of the vandalism is done by the military to make the protesters look bad 

10 hours ago, tomás said:

girl it's still no justification for the atrosities the military's doing, there's been over 100 deaths and a dozen women have been raped by the milicos rip4 and a lot of the vandalism is done by the military to make the protesters look bad 

oh tea girl i know it isn't a justification, but the inclusion of the military and the cops was made because of the horrible things the protesters did to the metro stations around chile. they were all burnt, wrecked, and it's a shame. i'm on the protesters side don't get me wrong 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.