Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Chris

Kesha | High Road | January 31, 2020

I have mixed opinions. It's not bad but it's also not good. It's...fine? Yeah, fine. Quite honestly, it's her first album I've not genuinely had consistent enjoyment in. I like tracks here, but as a whole I'm just not really all that impressed. When it hits it really, really hits but when it misses it misses disappointingly hard. After Rainbow felt so genuine and so real, a lot of this feels too calculated and intentionally radio ready and sometimes too manufactured in rambunctiousness to try and recapture that old Kesha sound.

Tonight 5/10
My Own Dance 5/10
Raising Hell 8/10
High Road 7/10

Shadow 7/10
Honey 5/10
Cowboy Blues 8/10
Resentment 5/10
Little Bit of Love 6/10
Birthday Suit 5/10
Kinky 4/10
Potato Song 5/10

BFF 6/10
Father Daughter Dance 7/10
Chasing Thunder 5/10
Summer 7/10

OVERALL: 59

My album rankings:

1. Rainbow
2. Warrior
3. Animal
4. High Road
5. Canniabl

Tonight: 6/10. Sounds like a try hard party anthem and is so repetitve. I still bop a little bit so I’ll give it a higher score.

My Own Dance: 8/10. Also feels like a try hard self loving anthem but she actually succeeded, I really like this song. Even though it’s been out for awhile, I hadn’t listen to it and now I regret it, because I really like it.

Raising Hell: 10/10. Anthem. They can play this on my funeral. I fucking love this song, ever since it came out.

High Road: 10/10. Oh shit. I didn’t expect this after the intro. It’s even a bit rap influenced in the verses? Damn sis, I bop to this. 

Shadow: 7/10. A welcome slow song after all these bangers. It’s nice, but not her best ballad/slow song.

Honey: 5/10. Feels like a slow rewritten version of Backstabber.

Cowboy Blues: 6/10. I don’t like this genre but I do like the lyrics.

Resentment: 7/10. Beautiful. But at this moment, we can speed it up a little bit more.

Little Bit Of Love: 8/10. THE LYRICS ARE SO RELATABLE.

Birthday Suit: 10/10. This is just Kesha having fun. I love the Mario sounds. Fucking love this.

Kinky: 10/10. #RoyaltyBOPS

Potato Song: 4/10. #RoyaltySTOPSBOPPING

BFF: 10/10. Tears in my eyes. This is so beautiful. cry9  I let this listen to my best friend and she was like omg this is us.

Father Daughter Dance: 10/10. Damn sis, I have tears again. This is such a beautiful and emotional song. 

Chasing Thunder: 7/10. It’s alright!

Summer: 8/10. Nice album closer!

I love this album. Some songs could have been scrapped but overall I love it. Is it my favorite Kesha album? No, sadly it isn’t. But I will give this a few more spins. I was so hyped for this. Never got to share this here since I never feel comfortable posting in Kesha threads since a certain person I won’t tag here but knows damn well who they are keeps calling me out for my love for Kim Petras but I always been and always will be an Animal. wub1 

I will give it a proper listen today, but on my first listen i liked some songs  a lot while others were okay, i kinda feel like she cant decide which kesha she wants to be, party past one with $ or new woke spiritual one, so she Tried to mix both with HR but im not sure it clicks, but we will see later mad10

However i dont understand hype for kinky jj4 its so basic with not great lyrics, and people call it come back of party kesha when Raising Hell does it so much better ari7

Also im getting really annoyed by singers using gay themes (girls kiss girls, boys kiss boys) in songs that suggesed it being somehow out of normal or in this case kinky, like really bey8

My ranking based off first listen:

1. Tonight 7/10

2. My Own Dance 10/10

3. Raising Hell 10/10

4. High Road 8/10 (the mixing is weird here, sounds rushed and not as impactful as she thought? I think the chorus should have been more explosive, but the song itself is good so i am giving it a high rank)

5. Shadow 10/10 (this is the best ballad on the album besides Cowboy Blues)

6. Honey 2/10 this shite was boring

7. Cowboy Blues 8/10

8. Resentment 4/10 I resent this song

9. Little Bit of Love 9/10 (it's a cute song but kind of corny but thats okay cuz melody wise its a bop)

10. Birthday Suit 10/10

11. Kinky 11/10 I'm so glad I waited on hearing this it's a giant BOP. Lost Weekend teas!!!! bebe1

12. Potato Song 1/10 Get that damn kazoo out of here kesha3

13. BFF 6/10 a snore but it's not that bad instrumentally

14. Father Daughter Dance 3/10

Chasing Thunder 5/10 a weak closer

Summer 8/10 way better closer but I think this is a bonus track?

I am surprised Kinky got the Ke$ha feature, it should have been Tonight. That would have gave the song an extra edge and I think people would have came around to it better thinking it's one of her throwback party songs. Kinky as i mentioned gives me synthpop Carly vibes but Kesha does it well (Lost Weekend and True Love tbh) I just question why she would even bother doing a Ke$ha feature without the infamous autotune to go with the feature, or at least a second verse entirely in autotune. Feels like a missed opportunity kesha3

All in all, the beginning of the album is the strongest. I'm very disappointed with this record and will be bopping to single tracks instead of straight through listens kesha3

1. Animal

2. Cannibal

3. Warrior

4. High Road

5. Rainbow 

Y'all.... Can't be serious. 

Tonight 10

My own dance 10

Raising Hell 10

High road 6 disappointing chorus

Shadow 7 kinda pitchy in the beginning

Honey 0 waste of time

Cowboy Blues 10

Resentment 10

Little bit of love 10

Birthday Suit 5. Demo>>>>>>

Kinky 6 something's missing lbr

Potato Song 11

Bff 10

Father daughter dance 10

Chasing Thunder 10

Summer 10

Big bad wolf haven't listened to it yet

10 hours ago, Unapologetic Bitch said:

i kinda feel like she cant decide which kesha she wants to be, party past one with $ or new woke spiritual one, so she Tried to mix both with HR but im not sure it clicks, but we will see later mad10

This 100%.

Like not using heavy autotune because she still needs to prove she can sing (or whatever is the reason): that's totally fine, but how can people talk about the old Kesha being back when her most distinctive tool is not here?

She should do what she wants, folk, country, whatever she feels good at, but this album is somewhat emotionally empty.

3 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

Y'all.... Can't be serious. 

Tonight 10

My own dance 10

Raising Hell 10

High road 6 disappointing chorus

Shadow 7 kinda pitchy in the beginning

Honey 0 waste of time

Cowboy Blues 10

Resentment 10

Little bit of love 10

Birthday Suit 5. Demo>>>>>>