Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Dennis Reynolds

HBO scraps Game of Thrones prequel series

The “Game of Thrones” prequel pilot starring Naomi Watts has been scrapped by HBO, TheWrap has learned.

Ordered to pilot last year, the untitled project from George R.R. Martin and “Kingsman” screenwriter Jane Goldman is set thousands of years before the events of the original “Game of Thrones” series in the era known as the Age of Heroes.

Along with Watts, the now-dead show’s cast includes “Harry Potter” alum Miranda Richardson, Josh Whitehouse, Naomi Ackie (who will next appear in J.J. Abrams’ “Star Wars Episode IX”), Denise Gough (“Guerrilla,” “Angels in America”), Jamie Campbell Bower (“Twilight,” “Mortal Instruments”), Sheila Atim (“Harlots”), Ivanno Jeremiah (“Black Mirror”), Georgie Henley (“The Chronicles of Narnia”), Alex Sharp (“To the Bone”), Toby Regbo (“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”), Marquis Rodriguez, John Simm, Richard McCabe, John Heffernan and Dixie Egerickx.

https://www.thewrap.com/game-of-thrones-prequel-pilot-starring-naomi-watts-scrapped-by-hbo/

Oh wow, I wonder what's the reason. I'm not exactly sad about it tho. I think the world needs a break from GOT.

(Interesting that this news comes right after D&D have been confirmed to leave their Star Wars trilogy. moo1)

1 minute ago, Kirjava said:

Oh wow, I wonder what's the reason. I'm not exactly sad about it tho. I think the world needs a bit of a break from GOT.

HBO may just have not been impressed by what they'd seen, or they want to do some other spin-off instead. The original pilot of Game of Thrones was quite poorly received and the creators showed it to their friend Craig Mazin (writer of several critically panned films and nineteen Emmy nominated series Chernobyl!) and he gave them a lot of notes that helped them out and they ended up mostly reshooting it. Maybe the same thing will happen again - they'll just iron it out.

9 minutes ago, Kirjava said:

(Interesting that this news comes right after D&D have been confirmed to leave their Star Wars trilogy. moo1)

Yea I saw that earlier and debated making a thread on here - I decided few to none would care rip2 

5 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

HBO may just have not been impressed by what they'd seen, or they want to do some other spin-off instead. The original pilot of Game of Thrones was quite poorly received and the creators showed it to their friend Craig Mazin (writer of several critically panned films and nineteen Emmy nominated series Chernobyl!) and he gave them a lot of notes that helped them out and they ended up mostly reshooting it. Maybe the same thing will happen again - they'll just iron it out.

Yeah I know. D&D did a recent interview where they exposed themselves to not knowing wtf they were doing with the story half the time. Made me hate them even more. trash1

I'd be fine with this spin-off never being made tbh. jay1

That sucks, I hope they still do a prequel in some capacity one day. My main concern though is the books. George R.R. Martin needs to hurry up with The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. orangu1 

22 minutes ago, Hylia said:

That sucks, I hope they still do a prequel in some capacity one day. My main concern though is the books. George R.R. Martin needs to hurry up with The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. orangu1 

Sad to say but I think he won’t finish those books considering his age jj3 

1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I read not that long ago that they're gonna make a spin-off telling the story of the Targaryen house.

It makes sense that they would cancel this one in favor of a spin-off based on the Targaryen, since people already have an interest on certain characters that would appear.

51 minutes ago, Normani said:

I read not that long ago that they're gonna make a spin-off telling the story of the Targaryen house.

It makes sense that they would cancel this one in favor of a spin-off based on the Targaryen, since people already have an interest on certain characters that would appear.

They wanna do multiple spin-offs, but yea maybe they prioritised that one. 

6 hours ago, Hylia said:

The good sis better come and fix the shit D&D did to his series. Could be the same final outcome, but he'll surely deliver on the road to that outcome unlike those clowns. orangu1

5 hours ago, Normani said:

you work with HBO confirmed?

6 hours ago, Daenerys said:

The good sis better come and fix the shit D&D did to his series. Could be the same final outcome, but he'll surely deliver on the road to that outcome unlike those clowns. orangu1

Yeah, not to mention there are countless characters in the books that never have been in the show/play a larger part.

For example Dany potentially going mad makes much more sense if

Spoiler

you have fAgeon there as well, the people rallying behind him as the last Targaryen instead of her.

Also, it's pretty clear that Cersei isn't gonna be such a major character til the very end in the novels. D&D were stretching her super thin the last 2 seasons with no material to go off of. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets killed shortly after the whole wildfire thing.

And let's not even talk about how Jamie's characterization is basically the polar opposite of what we got in the show. dead2

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.