Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Gabe.

Gabe's 100 best songs of the decade. Finished.

ok so the end of year countdowns have been a tradition of mine on this forum for almost a decade (of hits!). for this year i don't think i'll do that but i'll try to post my 100 favorite songs of the 10s which will be hell to go through but i'll manage it!

expect a variety of bops, genres, artists and so on! ;) it's coming!

100 - 001.

Spoiler
  •  
  • 100. Katy Perry – Legendary Lovers
  • 099. Lana del Rey – Off to the Races
  • 098. J Balvin – Ginza
  • 097. Rosalia – Nos Quedamos Solitos
  • 096. Britney Spears – Invitation
  • 095. Emeli Sande – Heaven
  • 094. The Weeknd – The Knowing
  • 093. London Grammar – Rooting For You
  • 092. MARINA – Primadonna
  • 091. Taylor Swift – Blank Space
  • 090. Halsey – Colors
  • 089. A$AP Rocky - Fine Whine (feat. Joe Fox, Future, M.I.A.)
  • 088. Maluma – Felices los 4
  • 087. Christina Aguilera – Woohoo (feat. Nicki Minaj)
  • 086. FKA Twigs - Cellophane
  • 085. Rihanna - Work (feat. Drake)
  • 084. Billie Eilish - Bellyache
  • 083. Anathema - Untouchable Part 1
  • 082. Madonna - Medellin (feat. Maluma)
  • 081. Banks - Brain
  • 080. Normani - Motivation
  • 079. the xx - Angels
  • 078. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow
  • 077. Paramore - Fake Happy
  • 076. Lykke Li - Deep End
  • 075. James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream
  • 074. Katy Perry - Bon Appetit (feat. Migos)
  • 073. Rosalia - Malamente
  • 072. Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer
  • 071. Drake - Hate Sleeping Alone
  • 070. Sia - Chandelier
  • 069. Jessie Ware - Running
  • 068. SZA - Prom
  • 067. Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Flatline
  • 066. Tinashe - Die A Little Bit (feat. Ms Banks)
  • 065. Lorde - Greenlight
  • 064. Kendrick Lamar - DNA
  • 063. Chromatics -  I Can Never Be Myself When You're Around
  • 062. Rihanna - We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris)
  • 061. Lana del Rey - Cinnamon Girl
  • 060. Christina Aguilera - You Lost Me
  • 059. Sky Ferreira – Everything Is Embarrassing
  •   058. Kanye West – Lost In The World
  •  057. Kesha – Praying
  •    056. Jamie xx – Gosh
  • 055. Paramore – Tell Me How
  • 054. JoJo – In The Dark
  • 053. Bjork – Stonemilker
  • 052. Beyonce – I Miss You
  • 051. Ariana Grande – Thinking Bout You
  • 050. Kacey Musgraves – Mother
  • 049. Rosalia – De Plata
  •  048. Anathema – Dreaming Light
  • 047. Sam Smith – How Do You Sleep?
  • 046. Lorde – Buzzcut Season
  • 045. Christina Aguilera – Accelerate (feat. Ty Dolla $ign, 2 Chainz)
  • 044. J Balvin, Bad Bunny – La Cancion
  • 043. Carly Rae Jepsen – Run Away With Me
  •       042. Coldplay – Always In My Head
  •      041. Beyonce – Flawless
  •       040. Selena Gomez – Hands to Myself
  •      039. Paramore – Part II
  •      038. Rihanna – Love On The Brain
  •      037. Taylor Swift – Style
  •       036. Frank Ocean – Thinkin Bout You
  •    035. Kali Uchis – In My Dreams
  •    034. Justin Timberlake – Mirrors
  •   033. Miguel – Do You...
  • 032. Grimes - Oblivion
  • 031. Kanye West - Runaway (feat. Pusha T)
  • 030. Dua Lipa - Be the One
  • 029. J Balvin, Rosalía - Brillo
  • 028. Nicki Minaj - Chun-Li
  • 027. Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry
  • 026. The Antlers - Palace
  • 025. Beyoncé - XO
  • 024. Miranda Lambert - Runnin' Just In Case
  • 023. Ellie Goulding - Goodness Gracious
  • 022. Billie Eilish - i love you
  • 021. SZA - Drew Barrymore
  • 020. Lana del Rey - Cruel World
  • 019. Burial - Rival Dealer
  • 018. Bad Bunny - Ni Bien, Ni Mal
  • 017. Florence + the Machine - Shake It Out
  • 016. Robyn - Dancing On My Own
  • 015. Drake - Hold On, We're Going Home
  • 014. Christina Aguilera - Your Body
  • 013. Carly Rae Jepsen - Gimmie Love
  • 012. Bad Gyal - Fiebre
  • 011. Rihanna - Kiss It Better 
  • 010. Taylor Swift - All Too Well
  • 009. Kanye West - Monster (featuring Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, Bon Iver)
  • 008. Lorde - Ribs
  • 007. Usher - Climax
  • 006. The Weeknd - Secrets
  • 005. Ariana Grande - Into You
  • 004. Frank Ocean - Pyramids
  • 003. Beyonce - Haunted
  • 002. Paramore - Future
  • 001. ROSALÍA - PIENSO EN TU MIRÁ (Cap.3: Celos)

100. Katy Perry - Legendary Lovers

Album: PRISM (2013)

Coming after the behemoth of an era Teenage Dream was, Katy Perry embarked on an ambitious mission as she attempted to recreate the same magic on her follow-up album, PRISM, to mixed results. However through all the hits and misses that album had, Legendary Lovers stands out as one of her absolute best songs and the smash that -for whatever reason-, was never released as a single. The song's catchiness is undeniable, the hook is impeccable and the production on this is crisp. If that final chorus doesn't get your blood pumping, nothing else could.

099. Lana del Rey - Off to the Races

Album: Born to Die (2012)

I was so HIT by Lana's debut much like everyone else here must have been and I feel like Off to the Races simply represents ALL Lana was about through that era and it does it so well; the hypnotic, hip-hop inspired beats, the lyrical content describing her affection towards her lover to a T, the vocal delivery and jumping through vocal registers like an olympic athlete, Off to the Races feels as sensational now as it did about 8 years ago. 

098. J Balvin - Ginza

Album: Energia (2015)

Despite this being about 5 years old already and me knowing about it at the time it got released, Ginza only grew on me recently following the worldwide reggaeton craze that got to me as well. What makes most of the song so good is the beat and the way Balvin's lyrics simply ride on it. Lyrically the song doesn't stray much from his early themes which only makes his growth on his sensational Vibras album that followed in 2018 look even more astonishing in comparison. Regardless, this is a song that doesn't allow you to just sit so it serves well its purpose.

097. Rosalia - Nos Quedamos Solitos

Album: Los Angeles (2017)

This must be one of the saddest songs I've ever listened to and even if you listen to it without understanding Spanish it should feel that way as well. The lyrics however are some of the most painful lyrics I've heard someone sing and, well, this is a song I find hard to go back to on a frequent basis but that doesn't take from its greatness at all, if anything it only adds to it somehow. Rosalia delievered a vocal masterclass and her visceral voice on this should cut to the very bone of every listener. Gorgeous.

13 hours ago, Gabe. said:

098. J Balvin - Ginza

Album: Energia (2015)

Despite this being about 5 years old already and me knowing about it at the time it got released, Ginza only grew on me recently following the worldwide reggaeton craze that got to me as well. What makes most of the song so good is the beat and the way Balvin's lyrics simply ride on it. Lyrically the song doesn't stray much from his early themes which only makes his growth on his sensational Vibras album that followed in 2018 look even more astonishing in comparison. Regardless, this is a song that doesn't allow you to just sit so it serves well its purpose.

Can we expect more reggaeton hits in this list? cry7

14 hours ago, Gabe. said:

097. Rosalia - Nos Quedamos Solitos

Album: Los Angeles (2017)

This must be one of the saddest songs I've ever listened to and even if you listen to it without understanding Spanish it should feel that way as well. The lyrics however are some of the most painful lyrics I've heard someone sing and, well, this is a song I find hard to go back to on a frequent basis but that doesn't take from its greatness at all, if anything it only adds to it somehow. Rosalia delievered a vocal masterclass and her visceral voice on this should cut to the very bone of every listener. Gorgeous.

Underrated 

On 11/10/2019 at 3:15 PM, Entea said:

Can we expect more reggaeton hits in this list? cry7

YES! contrary to many i don't want the reggaeton craze to fade away, i feel like the genre has been growing so much in the past two years it's only going to get better.

096. Britney Spears - Invitation

Album: Glory (2016)

While Britney Spears doesn't possess the vocal chops of other songstresses of her generation, she for sure can sell the hell out of a song vocally. Her 2016 release Glory saw her return to form creatively and the album opener is also the finest album to be found there, with its hard pounding bass and Britney's coy vocals on full display. I feel like Invitation is not only the best song on Glory but also one of the finest album openers of this entire decade, it just sets the mood to a great recod so so well and we can't help but stan.

095. Emeli Sandé - Heaven

Album: Our Version of Events (2012)

British singer-songwriter Emeli Sandé took the world by storm with her debut album, Our Version of Events, about 8 years ago and, before turning into an Adult Contemporary darling and by listening to her very first single, Heaven, one had the feeling there could be more to her than great vocals and catchy AC midtempos. Heaven is one hell of a song and as many have noticed before sounds pretty much like just a slightly watered down 90s Massive Attack song; the trip-hop inspired production is such a fine throwback to that era and Emeli's powerful delivery only makes the song better. Must listen if you haven't yet.

094. The Weeknd - The Knowing

Album: House of Balloons (2011)

Back when The Weeknd wasn't yet the global force he is today... My, how time flies. In 2011 Canadian singer-songwriter and producer randomly updated his debut mixtape on the internet, for free, to widespread critical acclaim. The alternative R&B record was a road-opener for plenty of artists in the upcoming years and it wouldn't sound out of place today at all in the current musical landscape, which speaks volumes on how WELL the entire thing was executed. My favorite song on the entire mixtape is The Knowing, an almost six minutes long ballad in which The Weeknd pours his heart out through an impressive vocal performance going hand in hand with his by now trademark production and sparse beats. Him belting "I know everythiiiing" at some point feels as painful today as it did back then. 

093. London Grammar - Rooting For You

Album: Truth Is a Beautiful Thing (2017)

I don't know and I don't have much to say about this song honestly other than that is first and foremost a vocal masterclass and the way vocalist Hannah Reid flawlessly goes from high notes to low notes then back high and that head voooooice....; London Grammar's sophomore effort released in 2017 lacks a bit of diversity for me at least but it also suffers of a case we've heard on other albums from other artists as well, when one specific song is just SO GOOD that you can't help but observe the flaws in the said record's songs even clearer. Regardless, nothing takes away from this song's brilliance and boy if they come back with better material next decade then I'm ready to STAN. 

2 minutes ago, Gabe. said:

093. London Grammar - Rooting For You

Album: Truth Is a Beautiful Thing (2017)

I don't know and I don't have much to say about this song honestly other than that is first and foremost a vocal masterclass and the way vocalist Hannah Reid flawlessly goes from high notes to low notes then back high and that head voooooice....; London Grammar's sophomore effort released in 2017 lacks a bit of diversity for me at least but it also suffers of a case we've heard on other albums from other artists as well, when one specific song is just SO GOOD that you can't help but observe the flaws in the said record's songs even clearer. Regardless, nothing takes away from this song's brilliance and boy if they come back with better material next decade then I'm ready to STAN. h

Who? OMG! 

092. MARINA - Primadonna

Album: Electra Heart (2012)

Hm. Marina Diamandis released her debut album, The Family Jewels, back in 2010, being poised to become an indie-pop darling alongside fellow British songstresses Emeli Goulding and the list could go on. The album was met with positive reviews and had mild commercial success so the sophomore expectations were quite high. So Marina decides to go full electropop and work Dr. Luke, Stargate and the likes in what felt at the time, to me, a very disingenous concept about impersonating an American pop-star, or whatever as an ~excuse for trying to reach a wider audience. The bad news for her is that the project kinda flopped but it did have some strong moments, such as Primadonna, a song that's sonically very much of its time but embodies the whole album's concept fairly well, Diamandis accepts, through her lyrics that all she wanted was the world over a dubstep flavored production. She didn't get it.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.