Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Gabe.

Gabe's 100 best songs of the decade. Finished.

091. Taylor Swift - Blank Space

Album: 1989 (2015)

Oh boy. The news of Taylor Swift going full pop for what was going to be, at the time, her fifth studio album, got everyone, well, basically shook. After releasing the album's lead single Shake It Off, a huge song on a commercial level but of questionable quality, the plot was only thickening; what does pop music mean to Taylor Swift and will she deliver something better than this Kidz Bop inspired lead single? Well, Taylor Swift had all the right answers for a while with follow-up single Blank Space being an absolutely immaculate pop song accompanied by a brilliant video. With Blank Space, Taylor Swift the Main-Pop-Girl, for better (or worse as we'd see later on her career), hath fully arrived.

9 minutes ago, Gabe. said:

091. Taylor Swift - Blank Space

Album: 1989 (2015)

Oh boy. The news of Taylor Swift going full pop for what was going to be, at the time, her fifth studio album, got everyone, well, basically shook. After releasing the album's lead single Shake It Off, a huge song on a commercial level but of questionable quality, the plot was only thickening; what does pop music mean to Taylor Swift and will she deliver something better than this Kidz Bop inspired lead single? Well, Taylor Swift had all the right answers for a while with follow-up single Blank Space being an absolutely immaculate pop song accompanied by a brilliant video. With Blank Space, Taylor Swift the Main-Pop-Girl, for better (or worse as we'd see later on her career), hath fully arrived.

It's such a shame she's now a FLOP... 

until the next batch of songs comes up a cute lil throwback to FOTP's most succesful year end countdown cry1 click the below link for a nice lesson on FOTP historih with so many retired members popping up.

almost 26k views legends only! i remember this thread would pop up on google's first search results page when typing up "top songs of 2011" and stuff next to Pitchfork and other websites of the kindoprah3 drawing in 80-100 visitors at once.

not me having Run The World as my favorite song of that year tho orangu1

1 hour ago, Gabe. said:

093. London Grammar - Rooting For You

Album: Truth Is a Beautiful Thing (2017)

I don't know and I don't have much to say about this song honestly other than that is first and foremost a vocal masterclass and the way vocalist Hannah Reid flawlessly goes from high notes to low notes then back high and that head voooooice....; London Grammar's sophomore effort released in 2017 lacks a bit of diversity for me at least but it also suffers of a case we've heard on other albums from other artists as well, when one specific song is just SO GOOD that you can't help but observe the flaws in the said record's songs even clearer. Regardless, nothing takes away from this song's brilliance and boy if they come back with better material next decade then I'm ready to STAN. 

Yaaas stan London Grammar!

Just now, Kenya said:

Yaaas stan London Grammar!

i really wish i was more into them generally because Hannah Reid is one hell of a vocalist oprah3 i did listen to both of their albums but i wasn't that drawn in.

090. Halsey - Colors

Album: Badlands (2016)

The frustrating thing with Halsey's debut album Badlands is that it shows great promise occasionally while managing to ruin everything at the next turn. Colors is such a fine moment though and arguably still her best song to date as it manages to put together all the pieces that make Halsey occasionally great; it's not exactly overwritten as she tends to work that way sometimes, the production is impeccable and she really does sound great on this. I'm still fairly convinced that one day Halsey will put together everything that makes her GREAT and release a killer album. But we'll have to wait for the next end of decade countdown to celebrate that.

089. A$AP Rocky - Fine Whine (feat. Joe Fox, Future, M.I.A.)

Album: AT.LONG.LAST.A$AP (2015)

Hmm. This sounds as three songs mashed into one and it's honestly so well done and... intricate. A$AP, Future and M.I.A. deliver a killer tune while all singing about a damaged relationship from each other's point of view. The song starts out slowly until M.I.A.'s verse kicks in ("Tell your new bitch she can suck a dick" is A LYRIC) and Future does a great job at carrying her momentum ("I gotta conquer everything in front of me" is another great piece I kept in mind). I recommend you all to listen to this if you haven't yet and be pleasantly surprised.

088. Maluma - Felices Los 4

Album: F.A.M.E. (2018)

At a certain point this song was everywhere in Romania, on every single radio station, on every music network, on social media, it was fucking insane. I didn't appreciate it at first BUT getting into reggaeton earlier this year AND going through a somewhat similar situation as the one Maluma is singing about I came back to it and damn. I just feel like Maluma is a very underrated vocalist first and foremost, the guy can SELL vocally whatever he's singing about, such as being in a foursome as it's the case here. Yeah, reading that it might feel like the song is just another sex jam but it's quite far from that and the lyrics are actually great. The song is a complete bop and maybe I should have rated it even higher. Oh well. 

087. Christina Aguilera - Woohoo (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Album: Bionic (2010)

Oh dear. Maybe the best uptempo (of the many uptempos) featured on Christina Aguilera's ill-fated 2010 album, Bionic, Woohoo stands up for everything an uptempo song sung by Christina represents. A killer beat, sexual lyrics and incredible vocals with Nicki Minaj's great (and underrated) verse as the cherry on top. The entire Bionic era is a long array of couldas wouldas shouldas; maybe if Woohoo was the first single with an amazing video that it absolutely deserved to have, maybe maybe maybeeee IF. What's certain at the end of the day is that Woohoo is a great song and cannot be dismissed.

086. FKA Twigs - Cellophane

Album: Magdalene (2019)

Ugh. I don't think I've listened to this song for maybe more than 6-7 times ever since it got released a few weeks ago simply because it's one of the most heartbreaking songs I've ever came across to (and I know a few songs by now already). I feel like I have to either be in a very strong point mentally to tolerate this either at my lowest low and let it tear me apart completely. This is maybe the best vocal performance I heard in the past year(s) and FKA deserves every single award for it even though her art is not about that and it wouldn't surprise me if it got overlooked. Regardless, did I mention the incredible video yet? Just watch it for yourselves if you haven't yet because there's nothing this woman cannot do.

3 hours ago, Gabe. said:

088. Maluma - Felices Los 4

Album: F.A.M.E. (2018)

At a certain point this song was everywhere in Romania, on every single radio station, on every music network, on social media, it was fucking insane. I didn't appreciate it at first BUT getting into reggaeton earlier this year AND going through a somewhat similar situation as the one Maluma is singing about I came back to it and damn. I just feel like Maluma is a very underrated vocalist first and foremost, the guy can SELL vocally whatever he's singing about, such as being in a foursome as it's the case here. Yeah, reading that it might feel like the song is just another sex jam but it's quite far from that and the lyrics are actually great. The song is a complete bop and maybe I should have rated it even higher. Oh well. 

It seemed like Romanian artists were always trying to get into the Latin/Spanish music market (probs still do) and I've also seen reggaeton singles chart on the Romanian charts. This was before the reggaeton hype so I found the connection a bit weird, now so much now. Glad you like Maluma too

4 hours ago, Gabe. said:

086. FKA Twigs - Cellophane

Album: Magdalene (2019)

Ugh. I don't think I've listened to this song for maybe more than 6-7 times ever since it got released a few weeks ago simply because it's one of the most heartbreaking songs I've ever came across to (and I know a few songs by now already). I feel like I have to either be in a very strong point mentally to tolerate this either at my lowest low and let it tear me apart completely. This is maybe the best vocal performance I heard in the past year(s) and FKA deserves every single award for it even though her art is not about that and it wouldn't surprise me if it got overlooked. Regardless, did I mention the incredible video yet? Just watch it for yourselves if you haven't yet because there's nothing this woman cannot do.

wish this would've been higher but great that it made an appearance nonetheless clap3 

12 hours ago, Entea said:

It seemed like Romanian artists were always trying to get into the Latin/Spanish music market (probs still do) and I've also seen reggaeton singles chart on the Romanian charts. This was before the reggaeton hype so I found the connection a bit weird, now so much now. Glad you like Maluma too

hehe. Romanian mainstream acts mostly try and follow trends; it happened in the beginning of the decade with the dance craze and we did have a few trying to capitalize on the latino success of late (Inna released a full Spanish album this year) but they barely caught on here. 

we do like reggaeton quite a bit tho yes. antm1

16 hours ago, Gabe. said:

090. Halsey - Colors

Album: Badlands (2016)

The frustrating thing with Halsey's debut album Badlands is that it shows great promise occasionally while managing to ruin everything at the next turn. Colors is such a fine moment though and arguably still her best song to date as it manages to put together all the pieces that make Halsey occasionally great; it's not exactly overwritten as she tends to work that way sometimes, the production is impeccable and she really does sound great on this. I'm still fairly convinced that one day Halsey will put together everything that makes her GREAT and release a killer album. But we'll have to wait for the next end of decade countdown to celebrate that.

Her best song to date? Is There Somewhere sweetie...

16 hours ago, Gabe. said:

089. A$AP Rocky - Fine Whine (feat. Joe Fox, Future, M.I.A.)

Album: AT.LONG.LAST.A$AP (2015)

Hmm. This sounds as three songs mashed into one and it's honestly so well done and... intricate. A$AP, Future and M.I.A. deliver a killer tune while all singing about a damaged relationship from each other's point of view. The song starts out slowly until M.I.A.'s verse kicks in ("Tell your new bitch she can suck a dick" is A LYRIC) and Future does a great job at carrying her momentum ("I gotta conquer everything in front of me" is another great piece I kept in mind). I recommend you all to listen to this if you haven't yet and be pleasantly surprised.

Best song on ALLA period clap3 

“how many fucks am I supposed to give clap1 

tell your new bitch she can suck a dick scream2 “

On 11/13/2019 at 4:40 PM, Gabe. said:

087. Christina Aguilera - Woohoo (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Album: Bionic (2010)

Oh dear. Maybe the best uptempo (of the many uptempos) featured on Christina Aguilera's ill-fated 2010 album, Bionic, Woohoo stands up for everything an uptempo song sung by Christina represents. A killer beat, sexual lyrics and incredible vocals with Nicki Minaj's great (and underrated) verse as the cherry on top. The entire Bionic era is a long array of couldas wouldas shouldas; maybe if Woohoo was the first single with an amazing video that it absolutely deserved to have, maybe maybe maybeeee IF. What's certain at the end of the day is that Woohoo is a great song and cannot be dismissed.

YASSSSSSSSSS where are the lies!!! 

I am seeing a lot of my fave songs on here. TASTE

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.