Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Gabe.

Gabe's 100 best songs of the decade. Finished.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

god.. I forgot how hot the Bon Appetit video was... a legend

ugh. GP showed no taste on that one. i hate everyone and everything for allowing BA to flop.

072. Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer

Album: Confident (2015)

Much like every broken clock is right twice a day so was Demi Lovato with her incredible 2015 release, "Cool for the Summer". The single exploits every single one of Lovato's strong points while leaving little to no room for the imagination lyrically. To me the problem with Demi - an excellent vocalist - is that she hardly gets the proper material to showcase both her vocals and hit it big commercially, however CFTS did both succesfully and remains, to date, her absolute best. It's a shame her potential remains hidden behind mostly mediocre material now one decade into her career but she's young and there's still plenty of time ahead.

071. Drake - Hate Sleeping Alone

Album: Take Care (Deluxe) (2011)

Oh, sweet Drake. Back when he wasn't disguising himself as a full-time rapper, Drake managed to blend his hip-hop instincts with what he really excels at in my opinion: R&B. "Hate Sleeping Alone" is a deep cut from his 2011 release "Take Care" and the thing I love most about this song is the chorus that simply hits every single time: "I said I'd rather be with you // But you are not around // So imma call somebody up and see if they be down // 'Cause I hate sleeping alone // Half the time we don't end up fucking // I don't ask her for nothing // I don't see her for months but I just hate sleeping alone". Don't we all?

070. Sia - Chandelier

Album: 1000 Forms of Fear (2013)

Already on her way to becoming a Main Pop Girl (although briefly), "Chandelier" absolutely cemented Sia's position as a centerpiece within the mid-decade's pop culture spectrum. A MONSTER of a song from every single point of view one can imagine, "Chandelier" remains to this day chills inducing to me and definitely a standout of our decade. Sia sings her heart out on this career defining song and its success definitely felt well earned.

069. Jessie Ware - Running

Album: Devotion (2012)

British singer-songwriter Jessie Ware took the world by storm emerging seemingly out of nowhere in the beginning of the decade and unfortunately peaking with her debut album "Devotion" back in 2012. What could be described as an ode to Sade's work mixed with a few current dance undertones, "Devotion" is a phenomenal album showcasing Ware's powerful yet at the same time gentle vocals carrying the excellent production displayed throughout the record. "Running" here is a prime example of that and the best word to describe it, if possible to describe a song through this specific word would be "ellegant". Everything about "Running" sounds somewhat expensive if that makes sense. If it doesn't then it's best you listen for yourselves. ;) 

068. SZA - Prom

Album: CTRL (2017)

After literally years of delays, SZA's long awaited debut album "CTRL" eventually saw its release back in 2017; lyrically touching a variety of themes from unrequited love to coming of age such on songs such as "Prom". The lyrics hit home for me and I'm pretty sure we've all been there, unsure of what the future holds all while being unable to stop time just a little bit. Things get an even more interesting turn as SZA sings this song to a lover that seemingly has no problem growing up so the pressure she feels to keep up with him is felt through her excellent vocals here. "CTRL" really was one hell of a record and there's more of it to come...

067. Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Flatline

Album: Flatline - Single (2013)

The original, iconic Sugababes line-up reunited at the beginning of the decade seemingly having worked through all the personal issues that held them back the first time and boy they came back with a bang. "Flatline" is a perfect pop song from start to finish, delivering everything a listener could think of when they hear such words used to describe a song; vocals, impeccable harmonies, a timeless production and great writing. Unfortunately their comeback at the time was ill-fated and as short as it gets as the trio went into another hiatus until maybe this year BUT we were left with one hell of a banger. Especially that bridge must be what pop dreams are made of...

On 12/4/2019 at 3:31 PM, Gabe. said:

077. Paramore - Fake Happy

Album: After Laughter (2017)

First of all let me start by telling you all that if, by mistake, you haven't listened to Paramore's glorious 2017 album "After Laughter" then you'd better do it soon. Fake Happy here is the song that maybe best emphasizes the album's theme of "let's make catchy music but write hella sad lyrics" and I guess we've all been fake happy at times we shouldn't have been. It's just a gorgeous song in all its fake happiness and Hayley sings the hell out of it. The way the guitars kick in through that final chorus... phew, life.

THE BEST OFF THE ALBUM!!!!

happy to see some love for Flatline! underrated af jj2 I unfortunately agree that Jessie peaked with Devotion but it's still an incredible debut and she seems to be hitting her stride again lately with her most recent singles (Mirage is a banger!)

22 hours ago, Gabe. said:

Album: Take Care (Deluxe) (2011)

Oh, sweet Drake. Back when he wasn't disguising himself as a full-time rapper, Drake managed to blend his hip-hop instincts with what he really excels at in my opinion: R&B. "Hate Sleeping Alone" is a deep cut from his 2011 release "Take Care" and the thing I love most about this song is the chorus that simply hits every single time: "I said I'd rather be with you // But you are not around // So imma call somebody up and see if they be down // 'Cause I hate sleeping alone // Half the time we don't end up fucking // I don't ask her for nothing // I don't see her for months but I just hate sleeping alone". Don't we all?

Why is it on the deluxe version still bothers me scream2 

22 hours ago, Gabe. said:

068. SZA - Prom

Album: CTRL (2017)

After literally years of delays, SZA's long awaited debut album "CTRL" eventually saw its release back in 2017; lyrically touching a variety of themes from unrequited love to coming of age such on songs such as "Prom". The lyrics hit home for me and I'm pretty sure we've all been there, unsure of what the future holds all while being unable to stop time just a little bit. Things get an even more interesting turn as SZA sings this song to a lover that seemingly has no problem growing up so the pressure she feels to keep up with him is felt through her excellent vocals here. "CTRL" really was one hell of a record and there's more of it to come...

Pop perfection

066. Tinashe - Die A Little Bit (feat. Ms Banks)

Album: Songs for You (2019)

After several career misstemps throughout the decade, Tinashe finally broke free of her damaging, out of touch label and managed to come back with A BANG as her fourth studio album, "Songs for You", shows the young singer-songwriter get her mojo back in style. The lead single, "Die A Little Bit" is a prime example of that, from the hypnotic beat to the hedonistic lyrics describing, according to Tinashe, the Los Angeles life and how nothing's what it seems there, it all makes for a very succesful story. I especially love how she kicks off the song with that cute vocal run, showing we're in for a t(h)reat. She's back!

065. Lorde - Greenlight

Album: Melodrama (2017)

I remember feeling a little weird and thrown off by "Greenlight" upon my first listen as, obviously, my expectations were, to kindly put it, high. On "Greenlight" we are introduced to another Lorde, sonically she asks us all the way to the dancefloor but it's ok if the lyrics make us cry and send us into a mental downward spiral. The song is the embodiment of a painful break-up and, after several listens years ago, it finally clicked with me. From the ever pulsating synths to the exquisite vocals, "Greenlight" remains a moment.

064. Kendrick Lamar - DNA

Album: DAMN. (2017)

Phew, chile. Insane beats, magnificent lyrics and flows, convincing rapping, star power, all turned Kendrick Lamar into maybe the most powerful name in hip-hop this decade and DNA. comes as a highlight in an already exquisite singles run released to promote his excellent 2017 album, DNA. The way the production here manages to succesfully blend the first verse with a completely different sounding second one without ever feeling disjointed is marvelous and that entire second verse is one for the rap cannons.

063. Chromatics - I Can Never Be Myself When You're Around

Album: Just Like You EP (2015)

A song that got literally lost from the internet until a few weeks, "I Can Never..." describes so easily a feeling that I was relating to closely years ago and I'm sure we've all been there at some point: the incapacity of being our true selves in front of our significant one due to various reasons; by that, despite the fact that Chromatics -for whatever reason- deleted its parent EP from the internet for years the song stuck with me. The singing is monotonous but elevated by those rock influenced synths that give the song some oomph that contrasts the vulnerability sung about.

062. Rihanna - We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris)

Album: Talk that Talk (2011)

Rihanna was already riding some really high waves coming off her succesful "Loud" era so the pressure was high on her however in working with Calvin Harris in 2011 on her incredible "We Found Love" she hasn't only found the love she sings about in the lyrics but also stratospheric success and definitely cemented her place and status as a beginning of the decade icon. "We Found Love" doesn't have the most innovative production and sonically it's very much an EDM song of its time, it's Rihanna's immaculate delivery that makes the song pass as timeless to this day and likely years to come. 

061. Lana del Rey - Cinnamon Girl

Album: Norman Fucking Rockwell! (2019)

My favorite track off Lana's highly acclaimed 2019 release, "Norman Fucking Rockwell!", "Cinnamon Girl" finds Lana at a very vulnerable point, confessing that if her male interest holds her without hurting her, "he'll be the first who ever did". Upon my first listen this song completely broke my heart and probably yalls too so I find it hard to go back to (as it is the case with FKA Twigs' "Cellophane"). I feel like some songs are so personal to the artist that their heartache innevitably becomes yours the moment you go on an overplaying spree so I don't know. Beautiful. 

060. Christina Aguilera - You Lost Me

Album: Bionic (2010)

By the time "You Lost Me", the second single of Aguilera's panned 2010 release "Bionic" was serviced to radios the entire era was done and dusted so this unfortunately gorgeous ballad couldn't do much to save it. One of the tracks penned with Sia Furler (who was unknown to the masses at the time!), "You Lost Me" goes on to describe an ill-fated relationship and Christina's singing over beautiful piano-driven melody is again excellent. Say what you want about "Bionic" but the punch of "All I Need" - "I Am" - "You Lost Me" (the heart of the album as described by Legend X herself) is one of the finest moments in pop this decade. 

100 - 060.

Spoiler

100. Katy Perry – Legendary Lovers

099. Lana del Rey – Off to the Races

098. J Balvin – Ginza

097. Rosalia – Nos Quedamos Solitos

096. Britney Spears – Invitation

095. Emeli Sande – Heaven

094. The Weeknd – The Knowing

093. London Grammar – Rooting For You

092. MARINA – Primadonna

091. Taylor Swift – Blank Space

090. Halsey – Colors

089. A$AP Rocky - Fine Whine (feat. Joe Fox, Future, M.I.A.)

088. Maluma – Felices los 4

087. Christina Aguilera – Woohoo (feat. Nicki Minaj)

086. FKA Twigs - Cellophane

085. Rihanna - Work (feat. Drake)

084. Billie Eilish - Bellyache

083. Anathema - Untouchable Part 1

082. Madonna - Medellin (feat. Maluma)

081. Banks - Brain

080. Normani - Motivation

079. the xx - Angels

078. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow

077. Paramore - Fake Happy

076. Lykke Li - Deep End

075. James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream

074. Katy Perry - Bon Appetit (feat. Migos)

073. Rosalia - Malamente

072. Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer

070. Sia - Chandelier

069. Jessie Ware - Running

068. SZA - Prom

067. Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Flatline

066. Tinashe - Die A Little Bit (feat. Ms Banks)

065. Lorde - Greenlight

064. Kendrick Lamar - DNA

063. Chromatics -  I Can Never Be Myself When You're Around

062. Rihanna - We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris)

061. Lana del Rey - Cinnamon Girl

060. Christina Aguilera - You Lost Me

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.