Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Gabe.

Gabe's 100 best songs of the decade. Finished.

Just now, Luca said:

Gabe an Arianator confirmed? oprah15 

i've been a fan since DW i just didn't post much in her section and such and prefer to think sweetener was a mistake she didn't actually mean to release except for the singles and the gorgeous R.E.M ari3

1 minute ago, Luca said:

Some unexpected entries in your top 10, especially Usher and Ariana. Loved this list honestly, great taste! cry6 

thanks so much for keeping up and do listen to Climax! that song was so ahead of its time honestly! 

Just now, Gabe. said:

i've been a fan since DW i just didn't post much in her section and such and prefer to think sweetener was a mistake she didn't actually mean to release except for the singles and the gorgeous R.E.M ari3

Going to pretend I didn't read the latter part of this post! oprah15 

16 hours ago, Gabe. said:

001. (also my all-time favorite song)

ROSALÍA - PIENSO EN TU MIRÁ (Cap.3: Celos)

Album: El Mal Querer (2018)

I -very- randomly came across Rosalia while listening to J Balvin's newest record (and a very good one while at it) - Vibras. The track Rosalia is featured on is not your typical J Balvin track, all the contrary; Brillo mixes Balvin's traditional reggaeton sound with Rosalia's flamenco inflicted vocals and all for the better. The song was good enough for me to dive into the 27 years old discography - not rich enough quantity wise at the time with just one album released -Los Angeles- but splendid enough to keep my interest alive; De Plata, Catalina, Que Se Muere Que Se Muere are superb tracks I cherish to this day.

Malamente was released as Rosalia's first single from the -already titled back then- sophomore record, El Mal Querer. Malamente is a succesful experiment, mixing flamenco sounds and some of today's most current trends - trap, hip-hop, all making for a fine mix.

However it was not Malamente that added Rosalia on my top musical priorities. On July 24th this year, Rosalia simultaneously released what was meant to become, in my humble opinion, her finest song AND video.

Pienso En Tu Mira (Cap3: Celos (Thinking About Your Gaze) is El Mal Querer's second single.

As an album, El Mal Querer is a conceptual one based on an old basque novel in which the main protagonist falls in love with a harmful man; across the album's 11 tracks, Rosalia carries us through the relationships's steps; Que No Salga La Luna, the album's splendid second track has Rosalia singing from the man's point of view as he marries the woman of his dreams. Things follow a dangerous path on De Aqui No Sales, the album's fourth track, a sonically violent experience in which said man starts using violence upon the woman he'd sworn love before. It only gets worse ever since but that's upon you to listen.

Getting back to Pienso En Tu Mira, this is the album's third ~chapter, using the alternative title "Celos" (n.r. "Jealousy"). Listened in the context of the album this is where things basically start going wrong, the male protagonist is starting to feel an intense jealousy towards the woman he had just married.

Lyrics are always open for interpretation though. Played as a stand alone track, Pienso En Tu Mira makes for a painfully honest love song and its lyrics I guess we can all identify with. "Me da miedo cuando sales/sonriendo pa' la calle porque todos pueden ver los hoyuelitos que te salen" takes us through that one unique moment of feeling jealousy towards whoever's watching upon your lover. The song's lyrics are made of similar metaphors, with comparisons drew between the water that could wet their lips, the sun and the moon they could watch and capture their attention; finally the lyrical climax to me is "Cuando sales por la puerta, pienso que no vuelvas nunca, y si no te agarro fuerte, siento que sera mi culpa" ("When you get out through the door I feel that you might never come back and if I don't pull you back strongly, I feel like that might be my fault".) The lyrics are superb indeed but they don't carry the song alone. Sonically, it's again a fusion between the typical flamenco style (heard especially in Rosalia's vocal delivery) and some well defined pop sensibilities - the repetitive chorus, big vocals, all make for an incredibly intense 3 minutes experience. The video only adds to it; the symbolism displayed throughout it is just... something else as it basically carries the female protagonist through each of her lover's jealousy driver actions (bribing her with gold while locking her inside a room comes instantly to mind); But you should follow that on your own if this review has sparkled your interest. It sure would sparkle mine.

Tan bonita que amenaza, cuando calla' me da' miedo,
Tan fría como la nieve cuando cae desde el cielo

This song live goes HARD giveup1 

7 hours ago, Gabe. said:

cry3

honestly for the #2 and #1 i copied the write-ups i had for the songs when they made my end of year rankings of 2013 and 2018 respectively and only changed the wording here and there. brit13 a scammer!! but i was feeling i'd never finish this list so i had to.

ST grew on me massively since, FLOP! is still the worst Paramore album! don't tell @Nadia Almadahe doesn't know! bummer1 bne > AL = Paramore > AWKIF >>>>> RIOT! is the only CORRECT ranking and that's that on that. clap4

Keep that WRONG opinion.

Future 2 though, we love the most daring moment from a band's best album!

8 hours ago, Gabe. said:

cry4

my supreme bae Jake thank you so much for dropping by and yes! Paramore is the act i've been a fan of for the longest period of time (11 years now) so i guess i'll stan eternally! looking forward to your lists! cry5

Thanks bb! 

Are you excited for Hayley's solo work? I've been waiting YEARS for her to do a solo record. 

Just now, Teenage Wet Dream said:

Thanks bb! 

Are you excited for Hayley's solo work? I've been waiting YEARS for her to do a solo record. 

yes i am! although i am very surprised it's coming because a few months ago she was all about breaks from music and what not and the paranoid in me fears for Paramore.

3 minutes ago, Gabe. said:

yes i am! although i am very surprised it's coming because a few months ago she was all about breaks from music and what not and the paranoid in me fears for Paramore.

I don't think they will ever permanently break up - she has made sure they have stayed together through everything and has been adamant about not breaking up. 

On 12/31/2019 at 8:29 AM, Gabe. said:

i still don't understand why ny3 it's eclectic enough to find something for everyone. unless you don't like Spanish or something! 

oh so i wasn't the only one feeling the same but i do believe i did miss out on a few great records these past two years. i really need to listen to Caroline Polachek for instance as i've read so many great things about that album. i just didn't feel compelled enough.

Spanish is one of my least favourite flavours, actually jj3

I'm not enamoured of Pang tbh - the only thing that snatched was SHYHMF. Maybe we should start an "Artists/Albums You Might Have Missed in the 10s" thread? jj2

16 hours ago, Modern Woman said:

Spanish is one of my least favourite flavours, actually jj3

I'm not enamoured of Pang tbh - the only thing that snatched was SHYHMF. Maybe we should start an "Artists/Albums You Might Have Missed in the 10s" thread? jj2

Judging by your taste - you missed a lot gag1 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.