image0.gif

Chris Morlock    44,722
Just now, Hyun. said:

let us go to the next page to post the entries yes

WKodV9S.gif

We're here xoxo

Hyun.    30,178

Gre4dgq.png

Here are your entries! Once again, I ask for you to not quote this post bc it's full of links and all that cloud1

tomás

Spoiler

Hello!

This round, I feel be focusing on the feeling of nostalgia.

Resultado de imagen para nostalgia english definition
That is why I have chosen songs to indulge you in the feeling of nostalgia with me, but not just nostalgia altogether, I wanted to provoke in you the feeling of nostalgia for someone that once meant something to you, in a past moment. We may have chosen to distance ourselves from said person, or life might have gotten in the way, as it usually does. Maybe they're even still in your life, who knows. Either way, a lil' bit of nostalgia ain't hurt nobody.

1. Mariah Carey - The Roof

Resultado de imagen para mariah carey the roof

In this song, from Mariah Carey's album 'Butterfly' (1997), the songbird supreme poetically recites a story of two people who seemed to have what we could call a little adventure. Mariah seems to find herself dwelling in the past, November more specifically, about times when she and this un-named other found themselves 'dancing the moet' back and forth. Claiming she had thrown caution to the wind, surrendering herself in the arms of the other, she recalls feelings that she had supressed, suddenly surfacing as they softly kissed.

The song ends where it begins, with Mariah still clinging on to the past with said person, trying to relive the splendor that they had had.

2. Shakira - Día de Enero

Z7nv3n3.png

Translation from Spanish to English:

Reveal hidden contents

I met you one day in January

With the moon on my nose

And since I saw that you were sincere

In your eyes I got lost

What a clumsy distraction

What a sweet sensation 

And now that we're going 'round the world

Like Mutt and Jeff did

I've already found various scratches that people have done to you

But my crazy love

Is your best doctor

I'm going to cure your hurting soul

I'm going to leave you, brand new

And all is going to pass

Soon enough you'll see the sun shine

You more than anyone, deserve to be happy

Soon you will see, how little by little your wounds will be mended

Soon you will see, how life itself will rinse the salt, that exceeds in the sea

And even though you've been a foreigner even in your own country

If I talk to you the way you do

You still say "what are you saying?"

And you cry out of emotion, listening to a bandeneon

And even though you look clueless

With that weird-paced walk you've got

I know the reason, that makes your heart hurt

That is why, I wanted to make this song for you

From 'Fijación Oral Volumen 1' (2005), in this song Shakira finds herself going back to the moment where she and her (at that time) boyfriend Antonio de la Rúa had first met, a random day of January. She proceeds to sing about how she saw honesty in him, and lost herself in the gaze of his eyes.

To me, this song is an example of how you can take nostalgia; the hurt, the pain, the wounds and the scratches, and still yearn for a better future, being more cautious and learning from the mistakes that you've already comitted. It also shows how you can look into the future not just for yourself, but for and with someone else as well, and start from there.
I also wanted to take a moment to explain a few lines in the song:

"If I talk to you the way you do to me

You still say "what are you saying?"

The meaning of these two lines is funny and simple. Antonio and Shakira are both native Spanish speakers, but from different countries; Shakira's Colombian and Antonio's Argentinian. Argentinian people have a very different way of speaking than Colombian people so, for me, pointing that out is very sweet from Shakira.

3. Snoh Aalegra - Time

WJ9ari0.png

Unlike the last two other songs, this song, taken out of Snoh Aalegra's debut album 'Feels' (2017), describes (what seems to be) a very distant past, with fading memories and a strong feeling of uncertainty and ambiguity.
Swedish-Iranian singer, Snoh Aalegra, describes her search for peace of mine after the departure of, what was later on revealed to be, her father.

She countinously points out an aching and clouding silence, I personally interpret this to be the ausence of her father's voice, or even laughter. Claiming that even though she had reached springtime (a time generally seen as colorful and joyful), and had made it through the cold Swedish winter, she was still in a devastating ammount of grief and pain. The song ends on a lyric that, by that time, you probably have heard quite a few times. 

"I wish that time never mattered"

I chose these three songs beacuse I believe them to represent three different types of nostalgia.

'The Roof' represents a romantic nostalgia, one that is left from a love that didn't turn out to be what we hoped it would.

'Día de Enero' represents a positive-outlook nostalgia, what I mean by this is that Shakira in her song finds herself thinking of and acknowledging the hurting past of what was at that time her current love, but still manages to focus in the future, joyful for what is to come.

And, lastly, 'Time' is the type of nostalgia that we carry with ourselves all of our lives... the nostalgia left from the passing of a loved one. All those memories that slowly but surely fade, the sound of their voice, all things that are in fact positive memories and feelings but still burden us with hurt due to not being able to share them with that person that passed anymore.

Hope you like the songs and also that I don't depress you too much.
brit15

Also I'm aware Time is not much of a throwback song due to the time of release but for me it kind of sounds like a Michael Jackson song, very 90s ballad so moo1 

Ariana

Spoiler

Throwbakk jj2

1. Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

Literally a career highlight. I literally cried when it played during the end credits in Bohemian Rhapsody. Literally one of my Feel Goodies playlist. Whew the instant joy this song gives me giveup3 Also, the sound takes me back to the time I never experienced. That's the tea about Queen's albums. They take me to the glorious years of the 70s especially this song!

2. Africa - TOTO

Omg! I love this song so much. It gives me so much nostalgia. My dad used to play this all the time when I was little and I remember finding the melodies really awesome! I really love how breezy this song sounds. Definitely the kind of music I'd play on repeat whenever I'm on a long road trip.

3. Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You - Lauryn Hill

I melt every time I hear the lyrics to this song omg cry1 This sounds so cheesy but I have been playing this song because it always reminds me of my lovely boyfriend omg stare1 

Freaky Prince

Spoiler

ROUND TWO

- The "THROWBACK" Round -

First thought was 80s music, but since Freaky Prince won last round with that, I though it would be lazy to try to win a round with that. I was thinking of like early 90s trip-hop or 90s RnB, but I feel like someone will do that. So I'm gonna go with the underdog of music genres, funk. Since Hyun cleared out that this round is more for the sound, rather than the songs having a theme going on between each other, I generally picked 3 funky songs that came to my mind and thought would work together and represent my idea well. So, good luck and don't FUNK it up jj2

Feoba

Spoiler

N7dZzJz.jpg

90's Throwback: Black Women Invented R&B

The "Throwback" Trinity

Track 1: The Boy Is Mine - Brandy & Monica

Track 2: Real Love - Mary J. Blige

Track 3Ex-Factor - Lauryn Hill

I struggled a bit with picking a coherent concept for this challenge. I skimmed through throwback playlist trying to find songs that fit a coherent theme and sound. You can probably still hear me cringe at the fact that most playlist had late 2000's and early 2010's music in them. I knew it was a risk to pick the 90's as it's the latest decade of the 20th century, but it's the one I'm the most familiar with so I went with it. I also assumed that most other f@gs on FOTP probably went with disco and I wanted to steer clear from the 80s. I don't really know much 70's music and then anything before then is... just getting ignored. Anyhow, back to the 90's, I then had to pick a coherent sound as the songs I saved were a jarring mix of rock and hip-hop. I decided to go with R&B as 90's R&B is definitely the best music from that era. However, as I went through different playlist trying to find the best songs, I kept finding them to be filled with songs by men, almost entirely wanting sex. Fuck men.

The best R&B songs, and the ones that aged the best in my opinion, are definitely created by women for women, specifically black women. Black women have HISTORICALLY never gotten enough credit for anything. In terms of R&B, they've carried the genre for DECADES. I mean we all know Aretha Franklin invented the genre. Here's three 90's R&B hits that showcase women have and always will deserve more from men. 

The first song is the 13 week long #1 song "The Boy Is Mine." Also awarded as the best duo R&B song at the 1998 Grammys. While lyrically it comes across as two women fighting over a man, if you watch the music video it shows both Brandy and Monica discover they're being cheated on and teaming up to kick his ass out. The boy is no ones. Fuck him, goodbye. The second song is legend Mary J. Blige's first top 10 hit, the 1992 classic "Real Love." In this song she longs to find something real following a breakup. Proving again just how shitty men are, Blige pleads for a true love. It definitely sounds like an early 90's bop and I needed a sound from earlier in the decade. In conclusion, the final song follows similar themes with the one and only Ms. Lauryn Hill's classic "Ex-Factor." While the song never reached the top 20, it has proven itself to be one of the most remembered 90's songs. Lauryn Hill powerfully struggles with letting go of a relationship. The bridge with "Care for me, care for me," gets me every SINGLE time. Hope you enjoyed!

Shiver

Spoiler

aluminum_christmas_tree4.jpg

1. Arctic Monkeys - One Point Perspective
2. Christina Aguilera - I Got Trouble
3. Audrey Hepburn - Moon River

When I think throwback, my mind doesn't immediately jump to funk, disco, synth, or whatever those other basic bottoms are going to be haphazardly slapping into their trinities. Those who know me well in real life know I'm an absolute sucker for anything from the 1940s to 60s, so for this trinity I decided to set a scene for myself: spending a winter's day wrapped up in my favourite car coat and scarf, ambling around an antiques emporium before heading home to my single storey house, slipping a vinyl into my stereo console and curling up on the sofa in front of my aluminium Christmas tree with a hot chocolate in one hand, a book about the space race in the other, and a handful of candles burning. These three songs, with their almost-too-obvious mid century influence (or indeed origin) and nostalgia-inducing crackle, provide the smoothest soundtrack to my cosy Saturday.

mylifelies

Spoiler

9?s=%7B%22size%22%3A48%2C%22text%22%3A%22Throwback%20Trilogy%22%2C%22retina%22%3Afalse%7D

I chose these songs for the following reasons:

14?s=%7B%22size%22%3A48%2C%22text%22%3A%22Here%20Comes%20The%20Sun%22%2C%22retina%22%3Afalse%7D

https://open.spotify.com/track/6dGnYIeXmHdcikdzNNDMm2

The song's instrumental reminds you of that one childhood moment, such as when you go to the beach for the first time or going to the park for the first time.

14?s=%7B%22size%22%3A48%2C%22text%22%3A%22The%20Less%20I%20Know%20The%20Better%22%2C%22retina%22%3Afalse%7D

https://open.spotify.com/track/6K4t31amVTZDgR3sKmwUJJ

Even though this song was released this decade it has an 80s feel to it. I think that it would get more plays if it was released in the 80s. It would be one of the best selling songs ever of that decade.

14?s=%7B%22size%22%3A48%2C%22text%22%3A%22Take%20on%20Me%22%2C%22retina%22%3Afalse%7D

https://open.spotify.com/track/2WfaOiMkCvy7F5fcp2zZ8L

A song that might look like it was released in the 2000s because of the way the instruments were used. But the instrumental in this one has a nice feel to it. 

Chris Morlock

Spoiler

round ii: throwback

(couldnt find a correct youtube link for every entry, so i just went with Spotify for this round)

FIRST we have the 1963 song Ring of Fire, by country/folk legend Johnny Cash

https://open.spotify.com/track/6YffUZJ2R06kyxyK6onezL

SECOND we have the 1967 song Respect, by soul legend Aretha Franklin

https://open.spotify.com/track/7s25THrKz86DM225dOYwnr

THIRD we have the 1968 song Legend of a Mind, by psychedelic rock legends The Moody Blues

https://open.spotify.com/track/7Gzlsdq3UscVRqRn7x7avR

i remember growing up listening to my dad play his CDs on his Bose CD player/radio in the kitchen. mostly Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan. but he also played The Moody Blues' album In Search of the Lost Chord and i remember my little sister and i being terrified of the album's intro "Departure". now i play that album and just remember back to times when nobody fought and everyone got alone with each other. my dad would always play his The Legend of Johnny Cash greatest hits CD in his truck whenever we'd go somewhere. the only odd song out in this trinity is Respect. i didnt know any of her songs until news of her unfortunate passing came around the internet. BUT i always knew that one song anyways, it just wasnt from my dad playing his CDs. i wouldve put The Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks but i REALLY wanted to put The Moody Blues in this trinity, but i didnt wanna put 2 rock songs in this trinity. another reason i grouped these songs together is cos theyre all released in the 1960's by legends. i also couldve put Judy Garland but idk any of her music outside of The Wizard of Oz and A Star is Born; which neither were released in the 60's.

CharnyBoy

Spoiler

Throwback Trinity

Theme: The Singer-Songwriter

1. Joni Mitchell-California

This song describes the impact a place can have on one person. The narrator in this song misses her adopted home even though she is in Paris, France. This song shows how a singer-songwriter evokes place in their narratives, which can create a sense of nostalgia and longing for the listener.

2. Stevie Nicks-Wild Heart

This song is a perfect encapsulation of pure romantic passion. The head can take a backseat to the heart, especially when one feels that their heart has been broken. In this song, the singer-songwriter has had her heart broken by someone, but also puts blame on her 'wild heart'. Love is arguably the most frequent theme of a singer-songwriter's work, and this song presents love in all its messiness.

3. Jackson Browne-Lives in the Balance

This song represents the political sphere of the singer-songwriter. The narrator is disillusioned by the fact that issues are being pushed aside and wants his audience to realize that people are suffering even if that suffering is not being presented to them. Politics frequently come into play with singer-songwriters, and this is a shining example of social commentary from one.

loudliyah

Spoiler

My “Throwback” era: 

I felt like these three songs represented the idea of a throwback because these records were in the trend and hot back in time, and it makes you think about how life was back then, how people were like and where they are now (including the artists), and it gives off a very nostalgic feeling about the past even if you weren’t around for that moment of life. It makes me realize that life never stops for anybody and that things will change, time after time. 

TattooedHeart

Spoiler

This is my Funk Throwback Trinity! They're all songs from the 2010s that sounds to me like they could have come pretty directly from the 70s. Funk tends to be underrated and overlooked, so I wanted to showcase 3 modern songs that use the sounds of 70s funk. Also when listened to in order they tell a story of the end of a failing relationship: 1) paranoia their s/o is cheating 2) guilt over driving them away and 3) after some time has passed, asking the age old questions can we still be friends after all this shit went down?

billie.

Spoiler
The "Throwback" Trinity: DISCO

ZdkS42w.jpg

Following the release of Dua Lipa's new throwback smash banger "Don't Start Now" the disco sound could potentially make a huge comeback on the charts (it won't, but a gay can dream) and more artists may try to go in that direction. Sonically is one of my favorite genres, and it was an era I wish I could experience which is why I focused solely on this period for this entry. I made a selection of old and new songs that bring the disco vibe without feeling overly dated or too modern respectively.

SAM SMITH. I FEEL LOVE

DIANA ROSS. I'M COMING OUT

GIRLS' GENERATION - ALL NIGHT

Daenerys

Spoiler

E1Sb5Sh.png

SWINE

Spoiler

Madonna’s Nighttime Sex Tracks

Let’s be honest. If Madonna was doing anything in the 90s (besides making good music of course) she was most certainly tits deep in some nasty man’s butthole as he screamed his daddy’s name having sex. Like all artists, Madonna has respect for more than just her genre though so she built this playlist for all types of men she might cater to on a nightly basis. From everyone’s favorite R&B, to grunge, and to hip-hop miss Madge had to make sure she had the tunes queued up to entertain. Someone may have caught a sneak peek at an unreleased sex tape of the Goddess of Sex and made sure to note the songs playing in the background. This is that playlist.

edwinfg

Spoiler

k i didn't had the patience time to make graphics this time

pJ2MQ2T.png

1. Turn You On by Paris Hilton

2. Celebrity by Slayyyter

3. Gimme More by Britney Spears

For this entry I struggled a bit trying to find old people's music to insert here and my creative juices aren't flowing right. So I decided to take a trip down memory lane and relive a bit of the music I listened to during my teenager years. So let's get into this gig.

Starting with Turn You On, this was the one i had more difficulty trying to arrange within the tracklist. Other suggestions included Superficial by Heidi Montag, Rumors by Lindsay Lohan and 1999 by Charli XCX. All of these somehow felt a little bit more dated than the songs I chose, expect for 1999 which didn't worked out for me at all. I chose Turn You On not because it was the song i heard the most during that period, but it was the one song that felt like it was quintessential early 2000s. And I firmly believe that the Paris album still holds up somehow in these times.

Next Up is Celebrity by Slayyyter. As a whole, the Slayyyter album is like Britney tried to make Blackout in 2019 but kept the heavy drug abuse and also caught a few STDs on the way and Celebrity is one of the highlights for me. The song feels like the mixture of some of the same synths sounds that Turn You On but it is essencially a electro-pop song like Gimme More. I chose this one because it feels like the bridge between the other two songs.

Last but not least, Gimme More is the most nostalgic song out of the bunch for me. The song that marked 2007 for me and I absolutely needed to pay respect. Now in my mind I feel like everyone is going to pick this one if they're going for late 2000s, but I absolutely needed it here to pay homage to that time period.

The end.

rosie

Spoiler

Realising your worth

Image result for you are worth it

For this week’s playlist I’ve decided to make my theme about finally realising your worth after your significant other cheats. My favorite era of rnb is from the 90s, so I’ve decided to use these talented ladies. I chose to start off with we need a resolution by Aaliyah. We need a resolution is about a woman wondering were things went wrong, and what she and her man as a couple should do to solve their problems. For the second song, I chose It’s not right, but it’s okay by Whitney Houston. I chose this song to represent when the woman finally reliazes that her man is cheating, and that leaving him was the best thing to ever happen to her. Next I chose TLC’s scrub. This is when you realise that you need a partner that’s up to your standards. I hope this playlist makes you angsty and powerful. Also, thanks for listening :)

Ghostface

Spoiler

Hello again. jj2

So, considering our second challenge involves throwback trio of songs, I have decided to do it in a similar perspective: in a form of diary (entries), because when they are being read in the present, it takes the reader walking down the memory lane. And I have mini-playlist to support that stroll through the past. It takes off with a banger, then continues with a (probably) louder (if not bigger) banger, where the list reaches its peak, concluding in a calmer manner with mid-tempo song. 

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

FxsNKKM

My PostD0 (1)

My PostD1

My PostD2

My PostD3

My PostD4

My PostD5

My PostD6

My PostD7

My PostD8

My PostD9

My PostD10

My PostD11

MadLove.

Spoiler

Bhad Bharb

Spoiler

1. MEREDITH BROOKS - BITCH

Reveal hidden contents

2. GARBAGE - I THINK I'M PARANOID

Reveal hidden contents

3. HOLE - CELEBRITY SKIN

Reveal hidden contents

One thing these songs All possess is FLAVOUR bey2 This is the type of Music I grew up with, and that I still love to this day. Makes me feel nostalgic about my childhood. cry9

Freaky Prince    33,488
1 minute ago, Hyun. said:

let us go to the next page to post the entries yes

WKodV9S.gif

Just a though, but maybe you could post the entries with hyperlinks, because that many Youtube links take eons to load

WKodV9S.gif

Freaky Prince    33,488
Just now, Hyun. said:

Freaky Prince

Hide contents

ROUND TWO

- The "THROWBACK" Round -

First thought was 80s music, but since Freaky Prince won last round with that, I though it would be lazy to try to win a round with that.

I'm playing some sick games this time around

WKodV9S.gif

Hyun.    30,178

monster of a post omfg my poor computer...

WKodV9S.gif

Hyun.    30,178
1 minute ago, Freaky Prince said:

Just a though, but maybe you could post the entries with hyperlinks, because that many Youtube links take eons to load

WKodV9S.gif

yeah probs gonna start doing this, just wanted to keep y'alls entries intact bc of the formatting and all that

WKodV9S.gif

Maraj    66,904
Just now, Freaky Prince said:

I'm playing some sick games this time around

WKodV9S.gif

See... I had a feeling it was you that name dropped yourself ffffff. giveup1 

Freaky Prince    33,488
1 minute ago, Maraj said:

See... I had a feeling it was you that name dropped yourself ffffff. giveup1 

I'm just hiding from H*nnah

WKodV9S.gif

Hyun.    30,178

Gre4dgq.png

The judges and I have also made some trinities!

Divine

Spoiler

GN0BVDC.png

The 50s are arguably one of the most romanticized decades, especially in American culture. When we listen to the music, we can't help but be transported to a diner wearing a poodle skirt or black leather jacket with hair slicked back with music blasting out of the jukebox while we sip on our milkshakes. There's something about the doowop that makes so many of us wish for a teen romance set in the 50s minus the mass amounts of racism and misogyny and homophobia but that's besides the point. The following songs are inspired by this era that gives modern pop music listeners a taste of those classic Americana vibes while still being a modern pop song.

Hyun.

Spoiler

the "throwback" trinity

A trinity of contemporary songs all released this decade, that are inspired by the same genre... jazz! These three tracks work the genre into them in their own unique way, in a way that gives a fresh spin into this throwback of a genre, making them timeless. Although with some differences noticeable between them, there's also the very obvious influences from jazz in each. This core inspiration makes up for a trinity with a variety of sounds that still holds a generally fun, peppy and classical vibe to it.

Infrared

Spoiler

Here’s my playlist:

For this round I thought about throwback as a commentary of how far we’ve come and the risks female artists have taken lyrically and sonically to get here. Many of these artists paved the way for the sensual and sexual pop star we see today with risk of being banned by the radio and later TV stations. Originally I had I Feel Love (not that Sam Smith version) and Justify My Love which we’re both banned from respective channels for their provocative nature but then I digged a bit deeper to find album cuts that I thought people didn’t know that show a range of genres and decades. 

Muscles - Diana Ross

Private Dancer - Tina Turner

Janet Jackson - Throb 

https://open.spotify.com/track/45a2uakbDbXOizyjyLv7dN?si=XybN94vARpKCZT6F11TFuA

https://open.spotify.com/track/5JjdJK0uGRUk4skRTuQdUZ?si=LnUMsobjT1-ky870k2Cfeg

https://open.spotify.com/track/3Qc7X9ptZRt7IcNj6fjOkW?si=8ts-wLjwQGKfLAQsmhOWig

Hyun.    30,178

did i make my trinity in the last hour? yes, i did

WKodV9S.gif

rosie    40

I think I made a mistake for my trinity, and didn't fully understand this round. brit15

Maraj    66,904

Oof y'all better be lucky us judges aren't in the competition, they devoured some of y'all entries! 

WKodV9S.gif